Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Deutsche Bank write out a bullish report with that new PT, if yes does anyone have some color on that? Had a feeling Tesla would go much higher after the recent ER on the back of new bullish reports just like in February, happy I picked up those $220 Sep for $22,80.

I was thinking the same today and because of this resisted the urge to sell.

What is even more interesting is that a break-out of this "1 month" cup (smaller rectangle below) could possibly take us right into the area of the breakout for the "5+ month" cup so there is potential for yet bigger movement this/next week. The large cup is not as well defined as a smaller one, but I still think that we can possibly break through the ATH next week...

View attachment 55806

The timing for the Deutsche Bank upgrade could not have been better. Will the above outlined "double cup breakout" scenario indeed play out?

Streetinsider.com on the Deutsche Bank upgrade:

Deutsche Bank upgraded Tesla Motors (NASDAQ: TSLA) from Hold to Buy with a price target of $310.00 (from $222.00). Analyst Rod Lache now sees a steeper growth trajectory, a richer mix, and lower costs.
"There were a number of disclosures made by the Tesla’s Management on their 2Q14 earnings conference call which could be viewed as very significant not only for Tesla, but for the overall Auto Industry. In summary, Tesla suggested that their growth trajectory will be much steeper, their mix will be much richer, and their costs will ultimately be much lower than we previously assumed. We are revising our estimates to reflect updated assumptions for growth and profitability, and are raising our rating to Buy from Hold with a $310 target," said Lache.
"We are adjusting our 2015, 2016, and 2017 volume estimates to 60,000, 100,000, and 129,000 from 51,000, 60,000, and 83,000. And even these estimates may be conservative, given that Tesla expects to end 2014 and 2015 with 50,000 and 100,000 units of capacity. At this point we see an increasingly clear path to 500,000 units of annual production by late this decade. And we don’t expect growth to end there, as Tesla is already contemplating opportunities for additional production capacity," he continued.
"Tesla suggested that their mix is likely to be much more richly skewed (Model S/X vs. Model 3) than we had been assuming. Moreover, Tesla is now explicitly targeting battery pack costs of $150/kWh by late 2017 (vs. <$250/kWh today). And they anticipate costs declining below $100/kWh within the next 10-years. Based on discussions with industry experts, we believe that improvements of this magnitude will likely require significant advancements in cathode, anode, and electrolyte technology. But they do not appear to be completely out of reach. We believe that achieving these costs could have profound implications not only for Tesla, but for the overall Auto Industry, as it would imply an outright cost advantage for Tesla’s EV’s vs. Internal Combustion competitors," he added.
For an analyst ratings summary and ratings history on Tesla Motors click here. For more ratings news on Tesla Motors click here.
Shares of Tesla Motors closed at $248.13 yesterday.

"And even these estimates may be conservative, given that Tesla expects to end 2014 and 2015 with 50,000 and 100,000 units of capacity" Indeed.

"And we don’t expect growth to end there, as Tesla is already contemplating opportunities for additional production capacity" This is something a lot of skeptics often forget, the bear case against Tesla often sounds along the lines of "even if they execute perfectly there is not much upside to the SP at these levels" which implies that the roof of production is around the 500k target near the end of the decade, which is obviously absurd, those 500k are just the start.

The timing for the Deutsche Bank upgrade could not have been better. Will the above outlined "double cup breakout" scenario indeed play out?

I have often said this in the past, but it appears to me that some analysts (especially DB) use technical analysis to decide when to issue a new bullish or bearish research report. In this case TSLA is about to break out of a pattern, so a great time to upgrade the stock...

Hey welcome back sleepyhead! It seems to me it has been a while since you have been posting!

I would say that MS is the master of well timed upgrades ;) But will take this one as well to help get us out of this point.

Way too busy in life lately. I will try to come back and post here more often in the future. Miss this place and the people here.

TSLA will cross $260 today it seems for sure, unless market has huge hiccup. Once that breaks, shorts might continue scrambling.

I really don't know anymore, because this market is so Jekyll and Hyde lately that it is anyone's guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Way too busy in life lately. I will try to come back and post here more often in the future. Miss this place and the people here.

TSLA will cross $260 today it seems for sure, unless market has huge hiccup. Once that breaks, shorts might continue scrambling.

I really don't know anymore, because this market is so Jekyll and Hyde lately that it is anyone's guess.

Boom!

BTW, I bought some weekly $270's this morning for $1.34 and just sold them for $2.22. A little early, but whatever; still happy with gain.

Tesla Invites Hackers for a Spin - Digits - WSJ

Hope that link works, if not you can Google search the article title. Tesla is apparently going to be at DefCon this year and is looking to hire 20-30 people for their security. Seems they are taking this pretty seriously!

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I bought some weekly $270's this morning for $1.34 and just sold them for $2.22. A little early, but whatever; still happy with gain.
I don't think you should complain about a near 100% jump :)

Tesla Invites Hackers for a Spin - Digits - WSJ

Hope that link works, if not you can Google search the article title. Tesla is apparently going to be at DefCon this year and is looking to hire 20-30 people for their security. Seems they are taking this pretty seriously!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think you should complain about a near 100% jump :)

Not complaining, but I think we might see ATH today; in which case I will miss out on a multi-bagger. But I can't monitor my position today, so I need to sell quickly.

As far as security goes, I really hope that they take care of this and be very proactive about it. I have a feeling that a hacker could potentially take over a car while it is driving if someone really, really, really wanted to do so and committed vast resources to get a program like this up and running. It would be a PR disaster for TSLA if just one car got hacked/hijacked on the expressway and that hacker caused a crash or worse death. It would be a death blow.

Status
Not open for further replies.