Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting data point (to me, at least). I went to the Eagles v. 49ers game yesterday (heartbreaking loss for my birds at the end :crying:), but to get to the game we took a bus transfer from Fremont BART station down to Santa Clara and we passed the Tesla factory on the way. This was Sunday at about 11:30 am. The parking lot was FULL; and there were about 60-80 car transfer containers at the south end of the building - some with doors open, presumably so that they could be loaded with cars.

This was my first time passing by the factory, and it was a brief glance from the freeway. Can anyone confirm if this is normal for a Sunday, or is this an end of quarter push to get all cars delivered in the next two days?

We have clearly broken down under the purple channel. I think we will retest the bold orange trend line... the 200dma will also probably be there by that time.

X8AnQsfA.png

Ford shares were socked during the final hour today to close down 7.5%. They were conducting an investor conference this afternoon.

According to Dow Jones, Ford Motor Co. gave a mixed view of its future Monday, saying recalls in the U.S. and economic conditions in Europe will weigh on profitability, while Asia represents a "substantial growth opportunity." Link: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ford-europe-to-book-12-billion-pretax-loss-for-2014-2014-09-29

The Ford news apparently dragged down General Motors shares during the final hour. Its shares closed down 2.9%.

This hardly affected Tesla shares which closed down only 0.5%, not much below where they were when the final hour began.

Last edited:
I think that reports of the factory operation on Saturday/volunteer Sunday are an indication that weekly production is currently above 800 cars/week, possibly around 960 cars/week.

See my detailed explanation for this theory: Weekly capacity at Fremont will be at least 2,500 after upgrade of Body Line in 2015. - Page 7

thats about in line with the stated Q3production (not delivery) goal of 9,000 units. However I wouldn't take Sunday work as a sign that they are above goal - probably more likely just below it or within striking distance of a bonus number. It's pretty hard to keep your force motivated through Sundays and not be worried about burn-out. You need to keep that in reserve for exceptionally important events - like upcoming Model X roll-out.

Just my observation for the day, it seems like there is significantly more downward pressure on Tesla than the rest of the market. If we were following perfectly in step (albeit more exaggerated) to the Nasdaq we should have pulled back positive and be at least around 248 right now... Instead we are sitting at 244.10... I missed whatever the news was that caused the market to drop on open and then rebound, but just looking at the charts it seems clear to me that someone really wants Tesla to continue to drop in price. This is the first significant divergence from the market that I have seen in as many days and doesn't bode well for the stock.

Just my observation for the day, it seems like there is significantly more downward pressure on Tesla than the rest of the market. If we were following perfectly in step (albeit more exaggerated) to the Nasdaq we should have pulled back positive and be at least around 248 right now... Instead we are sitting at 244.10... I missed whatever the news was that caused the market to drop on open and then rebound, but just looking at the charts it seems clear to me that someone really wants Tesla to continue to drop in price. This is the first significant divergence from the market that I have seen in as many days and doesn't bode well for the stock.

During the final hour yesterday, General Motors shares and Ford shares in particular were shoved significantly downward following the negative news that Ford presented at its investors conference. Tesla Motor shares dipped only slightly. We are seeing a continuation of that effect this morning. This may provide a clue as to which automaker the market believes will eventually become dominant.

A high rate of posting in this thread is usually a warning of a top due to a high level of enthusiasm with most posters already aboard the stock.

A low rate of posting (as we're seeing now) usually indicates a bottom, as many of the weak longs have already exited their positions.

Elon essentially has only been publicly discussing SpaceX and SolarCity, since his announcement on September 4 in Nevada of his Gigafactory choice and his answer to a question about TSLA share price.

I suspect he has been waiting for the quarter to end. I would expect him to soon begin revealing an enhanced production rate, improvements to the Model S and progress with the Model X. We also need to learn about more of the cards he said he was not revealing during the July 31 conference call. Any or all of this should set up the next rising phase in share price.

A high rate of posting in this thread is usually a warning of a top due to a high level of enthusiasm with most posters already aboard the stock.

A low rate of posting (as we're seeing now) usually indicates a bottom, as many of the weak longs have already exited their positions.

Elon essentially has only been publicly discussing SpaceX and SolarCity, since his announcement on September 4 in Nevada of his Gigafactory choice and his answer to a question about TSLA share price.

I suspect he has been waiting for the quarter to end. I would expect him to soon begin revealing an enhanced production rate, improvements to the Model S and progress with the Model X. We also need to learn about more of the cards he said he was not revealing during the July 31 conference call. Any or all of this should set up the next rising phase in share price.

Yep. Boring short term thread=buying opportunity. usually things get really boring when it trades in a range for a week or two, but we might be there now.

Yep. Boring short term thread=buying opportunity. usually things get really boring when it trades in a range for a week or two, but we might be there now.

Well, even the stronger longs haven't been posting much because there really isn't much to say... I think it is also that a lot of people are holding their breath to see where we settle down to.

Well, even the stronger longs haven't been posting much because there really isn't much to say... I think it is also that a lot of people are holding their breath to see where we settle down to.

True, there isn't much to say right now. It's definitely a quiet period for Elon. I don't think much can be said once they look at Q3 results. Depending on how he sees it, we'll have more silence or another trilogy (SAWD, X, Roadster Pack).

True, there isn't much to say right now. It's definitely a quiet period for Elon. I don't think much can be said once they look at Q3 results. Depending on how he sees it, we'll have more silence or another trilogy (SAWD, X, Roadster Pack).

Hmmm, a question. I keep hearing about the AWD Model S, but I've never seen anything at all from Tesla or Elon that confirms it. Or is that what you mean, that confirmation might be coming?

Hmmm, a question. I keep hearing about the AWD Model S, but I've never seen anything at all from Tesla or Elon that confirms it. Or is that what you mean, that confirmation might be coming?

Back in June, I remember reading a thread about Model S' on the track that were raised a little bit higher with a bunch of equipment on them at the TMC conference/REFUEL or some event like that. That and with the timing of Model X release, it's definitely feasible because it's the same exact platform and it gives people who want AWD but don't want an SUV. It also has the added benefit of cutting down the waitlist on Model X by having people switch over to an S AWD. That and Elon has been playing things closer to the chest as of late. The comment about R&D and things that they aren't showing hinted at this (for me at least). I think confirmation is coming.

I sold an Oct 18th $245 PUT for just short of $10, so if it could end at $244.99 that'd give me a nice, discounted entry point back into TSLA :)
I am still holding on to my puts, I plan on selling the puts if TSLA hits $235, $230 & the last one at $225, then decide what to do with the covered call.

I am bearish, in 30 years I have never sat on so much cash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.