Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The ranger just picked up the same black 60 loaner that Devon service center has had for at least 6 months now. It does not have sensors and it has 2700 miles on it. So not "all" cars were sold and there are still some that are in service.

Regardless I don't see this as an issue, 2000 cars is just a blip at this point. Even if they do discount them it will be offset by the higher margins of the P85D this quarter.

Well there you have it then! Thanks! I couldn't speak to certainty about the existence or not of continued inventory of the old stuff, It is funny because they always seem to be these 60kW cars that are what is left over, which is already a statement about the demand for these low end cars which we all know are not that popular. I am neither upset about knowing these cars are out there or worried. All I would hope is that they stop making these cars (or maybe making as many) as Loaner choices/show cars/test cars/etc. Because there is an apparent low demand for these that it seems like a waste.

Anyway, whether the get sold any time soon or not, as you say, it is a tiny blip on the radar at this point.

The ranger just picked up the same black 60 loaner that Devon service center has had for at least 6 months now. It does not have sensors and it has 2700 miles on it. So not "all" cars were sold and there are still some that are in service.
Tesla changed it's policy at some point a number of months ago on loaners. They used to be for sale immediately, which meant effectively that loaners were never around as they were sold right away and SC's had no idea how long they'd have them.

Tesla changed policy to not sell loaners for something like 90 days. I like to think my email to ownership complaining loudly about the old policy helped change things :), since that waiting period was one my suggestions.

Consequently, when Elon said they sold every car it'd presumably mean every car that wasn't locked out due to that 90 day period.

If Tesla Motors grows to have the same market cap that Toyota currently has, it would have a stock price of $1,632. Can you say... stock split?

I don't know, I have always liked the Berkshire concept about the whole thing where they have never done a stock split on their series-A and they actually never wanted to stock split their Series-B but Buffet was forced to by the shareholders. It builds stability into the shareprice because the stock gets so expensive it dumps out a lot of the volatility in the shares. For example, GOOG has double the shares of TSLA, but has only an average daily volume of around 2M shares (vice TSLA at 6.6M right now). It might be harder to make that comparison with PCLN so lets look at it as a percentage of shares... about 2% of their shares trade every day compared to TSLA at 5.2% of the shares. Priceline is only double the market cap of TSLA but has 5x the shareprice. The makes the stock more expensive to manipulate by any one company, and therefore you tend to only get people who are in it for a longer period and certainly not in it for a 1 or 2 point movement.

The only reason I would ever care about them doing a split is if they wanted to try to get added into an index fund that requires a certain range of a share price.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and it looks like we are going to be fighting over a closing price of +/- 255 for our strike. See who is going to win out today. It certainly looks like *someone* didn't want it above 257.50 for sure and we have since been dancing around 255. So I would expect a closing price around there.

Tidbit of news...

Market Chatter: Tesla, Kandi Firmer - Shanghai Media Says City Will Subsidize Vehicle Charging Poles

02:48 PM EST, 11/14/2014 (MT Newswires) -- Shares in electric luxury-car maker Tesla (TSLA) andKandi Technologies Group(KNDI) , a maker of off-road and special-purpose vehicles exploring its own alternative-vehicle offerings, potentially drew added buying interest Friday due to a bullish report out of Chinese media.
The city of Shanghai will increase support for new-energy vehicles, according to Shanghai Securities News. The city will reportedly give an over 30% subsidy for charging pole construction, according to the publication.

The TSLA share price in recent days has not been driven by news or tweets. So we turn to technical and anecdotal evidence for hints of investor psychology.

The 50-day SMA (Simple Moving Average) proved to provide support throughout the last two days, just as the 200-day SMA essentially did in October. The October 9-10 gap from 245.89 to 254.40 that concerned the InvestorPlace technical analyst on Wednesday morning has not only been filled but also nicely surpassed.

The remaining spreaders of FUD are now being dismissed as irrelevant. Hedge fund bots no longer appear capable of inflicting much damage and may have been reined in by their handlers. This week the bid/ask and volume patterns were suggestive of institutional buying interest. The week may have ended with a bout of yielding by some frustrated short sellers. All of this points to stability or a rising share price until the next release of news.

Last edited:
IMO recent events and investor sentiment points to stable rising share price until the next ER, likely to be ATH by then, barring some global financial catastrophic event. Glad to have added shares at $231 and again at $221 on the way down. I don't think we will ever see those lows again. Tesla is only just getting started (reminds me of Apple back in 2008). I'm going out on a limb here by saying that 80% of the population in North America, if asked what Tesla manufactures would pick refrigerators, lawn mowers or cell phones over cars. And of the 20% that chose cars, most likely only a small fraction of those know Tesla cars are 100% electric, over 200 mile range, and planning a $35,000 car in 2017.
Disclaimer. Be smart. Do your own research, make knowledgeable investments, and only invest what you can afford to lose. :smile:
P.S. When will Tesla come out with a lawn mower? :biggrin:

Last edited:
Just to provide updates if you don't read delivery threads. P85Ds are hitting the line sometime soon and some people are likely to be production complete next week. It looks like the first deliveries are around December 5th. I'll keep y'all updated especially if these threads stay this quiet.

Just to provide updates if you don't read delivery threads. P85Ds are hitting the line sometime soon and some people are likely to be production complete next week. It looks like the first deliveries are around December 5th. I'll keep y'all updated especially if these threads stay this quiet.

I was just looking at that thread today as I was getting a little antsy. I have a feeling December is going to be a huge push similar to September except with cars that are more expensive :)

Status
Not open for further replies.