Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. Maybe because Wal-Mart and Costco have teams of contractors where all they do is drive around the U.S and build Walmarts and Costco's.

The argument, so it goes, is that these are just general contractors, same as anyone else can/should get. So what is the excuse. It seems to me that given the size and scope that it is going up at impressive speeds, but I don't know jack about construction projects of this nature. I trust if Tesla says it is ahead of schedule that is a good thing (and why would they lie about that), and if they say they expect the first cells early next year, then that too seems a bit ahead of schedule.

To me, worst case, seems like maybe they fall back a bit and end up just in time to original schedule? I could live with that.

Ending range anxiety. Tesla new firmware will include a virtual yoga teacher in holographic form that will play soothing music for the driver and lead in breathing exercises and guided meditations so that the driver is completely relaxed and free of all anxiety. Eventually savasana mode will be included wherein the driver can fully recline and shut eyes while the vehicle drives to the nearest charging point as needed to reach final destination. Bilocation mode will also be available for advanced practitioners.

Last edited:
So the stock price is up $7 on average volume. This suggests to me that buyers are not pushing hard. Rather, shorts may be pulling back on selling and even closing a little in prep for a run up with attack to follow Thursday's press conference.

I continue to feel it is unwise to buy into this near term rise as it will be easily dismantled at the end of the week. Good luck everyone.

What about stationary storage systems that are installed at people's houses? The host gets a storage system for a lower cost if they allow it to be used as part of, say a 50kw micro "super" charger network. The storage unit keeps track of when a non host tesla owner charges at it and tesla pays the host storage owner for the electricity the tesla driver pulled from the box. A charge plug is installed outside for tesla drivers to use.

This would get the storage units out there faster, at a lower cost to the consumer, and provide a faster charging rate than current level 2, and increase the density of charging options.

Agree. This event is not comparable to "D" event. Remember the D events gave 6 trading days runway for heat speculation and the last two trading days actually was red. But this event only gave about 3 trading days run way, Tu&Wed will be the last two days before event, and personally I don't have too much to speculate :)

So the stock price is up $7 on average volume. This suggests to me that buyers are not pushing hard. Rather, shorts may be pulling back on selling and even closing a little in prep for a run up with attack to follow Thursday's press conference.

I continue to feel it is unwise to buy into this near term rise as it will be easily dismantled at the end of the week. Good luck everyone.

What about stationary storage systems that are installed at people's houses? The host gets a storage system for a lower cost if they allow it to be used as part of, say a 50kw micro "super" charger network. The storage unit keeps track of when a non host tesla owner charges at it and tesla pays the host storage owner for the electricity the tesla driver pulled from the box. A charge plug is installed outside for tesla drivers to use.

This would get the storage units out there faster, at a lower cost to the consumer, and provide a faster charging rate than current level 2, and increase the density of charging options.

This is an interesting thought. Some potential issues though: For it to be useful as sort of back-up mini-SC the stationary battery would have to be at least 30-40kWh in capacity. Isn't that a bit too much and too pricey for an average house? And second, if you had this at home it would kind of defeat the purpose of home storage (going off grid?) since you could never quite be sure if you home storage would be full or empty come evening or a very cloudy day (depends on if someone came to charge or not).

Will the announcement on Thursday be at 9am Pacific Time? Has Elon said where it will be held? (What country/city?) Anyone received an invitation for an event?

It's a press conference, not an event; unless anyone here has press credentials no TMC'ers are going to receive an invite.

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt that folks will be lining up to have strangers parking in their driveways for a quick charge. A pay system would be too complicated to the point of being prohibitively expensive to manage.

- - - Updated - - -

As I stated before the most obvious news will be firmware that shows charging locations, with a possible link-up with Plugshare and/or ChargePoint and/or others; that would be big news for owners and be the perfect answer to range anxiety questions...

"My car knows when it needs a charge, and directs me to the best location...."

Ending range anxiety. Tesla new firmware will include a virtual yoga teacher in holographic form that will play soothing music for the driver and lead in breathing exercises and guided meditations so that the driver is completely relaxed and free of all anxiety. Eventually savasana mode will be included wherein the driver can fully recline and shut eyes while the vehicle drives to the nearest charging point as needed to reach final destination. Bilocation mode will also be available for advanced practitioners.

Ha ha too funny

As I stated before the most obvious news will be firmware that shows charging locations, with a possible link-up with Plugshare and/or ChargePoint and/or others; that would be big news for owners and be the perfect answer to range anxiety questions...

"My car knows when it needs a charge, and directs me to the best location...."

I, along with thousands of others, couldn't care less about Plugshare/Chargepoint locations. Until the day I plan a trip that absolutely requires them, that is. I will be sadly disappointed if all this is about slow and expensive charging facilities.

For me, the biggest range anxiety is that the projection is backwards-looking and considers only up to 30 miles history, and does not incorporate my complete driving style and perhaps the weather as well.

I would find most useful to have a longer history, per driver profile, incorporated with grade-mapping so that the car knows how much it will take to get me from A to B if the Sepulveda Pass is in the route, and how much it has taken on the last 6 trips *I* drove to Grandma's house, over the hills and through the woods.

Crowd-sourcing transit data would be a big plus, so that if last month you went up the Grapevine at 70mph, that would be one of thousands of Model S trips up the Grapevine that would go into helping ME know ahead of time what it's going to take.

Those are the kinds of things that would relieve my range anxiety.

Another 'whopper' from Trip Chowdry; but a broken clock is correct twice per day. This idea of a metal-air range extender has been around for a couple of years, so this is not a zero possibility for the announcement on Thursday. In my mind it would end range anxiety if these packs were self changeable and sold at common retailers. If true, then I think the stock soars.

"Tesla hybrid battery pack said to extend range by 40% and increase battery life by 30%.

Global Equities Research reports that Tesla Motors may be building a new hybrid battery pack. Based on the filed Patents 20130181511 and 20130187591, analyst Tom Chowdry notes that these patents relate to “Electric Vehicle Extended Range Hybrid Battery Pack System” and have Metal-Air Battery Pack and Non-Metal Air Battery Pack components. By combining a standard, lithium-ion battery with a metal-air battery where oxygen is used as an electrode, we can potentially see 400+ miles of range in future versions of the Model S, Model X."

Tesla Hybrid Battery Pack to Extend Range by 40% - TESLARATI.com

Last edited:
Do I remember correctly that when Tesla content reaches a certain figure (somewhat less than 98%), it escapes some NAFTA regulation and should be cheaper in Canada?

I believe that number is 62.5% content. I'm not sure how exactly the calculations are done, but I'm fairly certain the batteries from Japan have a lot to do with the Model S not meeting those requirements. I am personally timing my first Tesla purchase around the hope that once the Gigafactory is completed, I will no longer have to pay a 6.1% import duty.

Another 'whopper' from Trip Chowdry; but a broken clock is correct twice per day. This idea of a metal-air range extender has been around for a couple of years, so this is not a zero possibility for the announcement on Thursday. In my mind it would end range anxiety if these packs were self changeable and sold at common retailers. If true, then I think the stock soars.

I'll take bets on Thursday's announcement being about software and not new hardware.

(Hmm, reminder to self: I still need to collect on the last several bets I won.)

I thought it was funny that Elon had to tweet that he didn't tweet in order to move the stock price.

I am glad that he said outright (again) that he's with the company for the long term results.

Perhaps some people interpret his tweets as attempts to affect price. I think he just likes Twitter as a platform, it is a great platform that usually acts as an amplifier.

His intentions may not be to move the price, but consequences of any of his actions may easily include share price move, intended or unintended. Comes with the territory.

TSLA deserves a premium for the entertainment bit that gets delivered to shareholders on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.