Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks, the S&P and NASDAQ are currently in a mid-day freefall, and we have held firmly in place. This is quite a bullish sign for Flux's nonexistent 8-ball.

- - - Updated - - -

Be well! If you, by chance, have time to have the eight ball make a pre ER prediction do not heitate to share it with the group. :wink:

He did Al, scroll up. :)

On the other hand hydrogen is a distraction, taking time, money, and resources, away from the move to EV's, and falsely letting people think there are better alternatives to EVs. I'm not sure the over all effect is positive.

Keep in mind that once long ago everyone road around on these things called horses and sometimes would have horses pull these carts around call carriages. Then along came not just one great invention but three. The AC Motor (or sometime DC Motors were used), the Internal Combustion Engine, and the Steam Engine. All three stuck their products onto "carriages" and used it to drive the wheels forward. All three eventually started to compete with each other, but before that happened they were actually competing against horses.

At first, in many ways, horses were so much better than these "horseless carriages". Eventually it became more of a perception problem. And finally the horse's fate was sealed. We are currently in the perception problem phase where anything that pokes holes in the ICE as the end-all-be-all is a good thing in my opinion. At some point, we may find ourselves duking it out EV vs Hydrogen, but for now we need to get people away from their "comfort zone" of what they know, and into accepting of alternatives. Once they do, it will end up (or should end up) as the best product will win.

Keep in mind that once long ago everyone road around on these things called horses and sometimes would have horses pull these carts around call carriages. Then along came not just one great invention but three. The AC Motor (or sometime DC Motors were used), the Internal Combustion Engine, and the Steam Engine. All three stuck their products onto "carriages" and used it to drive the wheels forward. All three eventually started to compete with each other, but before that happened they were actually competing against horses.

At first, in many ways, horses were so much better than these "horseless carriages". Eventually it became more of a perception problem. And finally the horse's fate was sealed. We are currently in the perception problem phase where anything that pokes holes in the ICE as the end-all-be-all is a good thing in my opinion. At some point, we may find ourselves duking it out EV vs Hydrogen, but for now we need to get people away from their "comfort zone" of what they know, and into accepting of alternatives. Once they do, it will end up (or should end up) as the best product will win.

Nice analogy. It's not simply the best product, but the best infrastructure that wins. In the short run, gasoline has an enormously well developed infrastructure, but what few understand is that that infrastructure costs about $1.12 per gallon or about $6k to $10k per car over the life of the car. By contrast, the EV charging infrastructure is really cheap. Meanwhile, the infrastructure for hydrogen is so expensive, it may only exist where directly paid for by taxpayers. So longer run the infrastructure advantage goes to EVs.

Getting off topic, but someone pointed out a year ago or so how similar the model T ramp is to the Model S ramp:

(model T numbers from wikipedia)
YearProductionPrice for
Runabout
Notes
190910,666$825($21,650 in 2015) [SUP][40][/SUP] Touring car was $850
191019,050$900
191134,858$680
191268,773$590
1913170,211$525
1914202,667$440Fiscal year was only 10 months long due to change in end date
from Sep 30 to July 31
1915308,162$390
1916501,462$345[SUP][41][/SUP]
1917735,020$500
1918664,076$500
1919498,342$500
1920941,042$395Production for fiscal year 1920, (August 1, 1919 through July 31, 1920)
Price was $550 in March but dropped by Sept
1920463,451$395Production for balance of calendar year, August 1 though Dec 31
Total '1920' production (17 months) = 1,404,493
1921971,610$325Price was $370 in June but dropped by Sept.
19221,301,067$319
19232,011,125$364
19241,922,048$265
19251,911,705$260($3,500 in 2015) Touring car was $290
19261,554,465$360
1927399,725$360Production ended before mid-year to allow retooling for the Model A

No go on SpaceX launch today due to approaching thunderstorm. Rats.

SpaceXnogo.jpg

Last edited:
I've created a thread in the TMC News forum regarding an op-ed article in today's Houston Business Journal written by two top officials of a conservative Texas think tank arguing that selling cars direct to customers shouldn't be illegal in Texas. I found notice of it in the business news section of my AT&T-Yahoo home page.

Link to thread in News forum

Link to Op-Ed Article

I suggest that only discussion relating to the effect of this on the TSLA share price be discussed in this Short-Term Price thread. More general comments would best be presented in that thread in the News forum.

I've created a thread in the TMC News forum regarding an op-ed article in today's Houston Business Journal written by two top officials of a conservative Texas think tank arguing that selling cars direct to customers shouldn't be illegal in Texas. I found notice of it in the business news section of my AT&T-Yahoo home page.

Link to Op-Ed Article

I suggest that only discussion relating to the effect of this on the TSLA share price be discussed in this Short-Term Price thread. More general comments would best be presented in that thread in the News forum.

Thanks Curt. realize at the bottom of the OpEd is a place to caste a vote on the issue. Currently 90% in favor of direct sales.

Link to Op-Ed Article

Voted. Thanks for the link.

Gates, Pritzkers Take on Musk in $5 Billion Race for New Battery - Bloomberg Business

More frustrating for investors, no one so far has come up with a clear route to bringing down prices while ramping up production. Tesla Motors Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk says he can do it. He’s betting $5 billion that a new plant near a lithium mine in Nevada will make his Teslas go more than 200 miles at about $35,000 per car by 2017. That’s about one-third the cost of today’s priciest $100,000 Model S. Analysts estimate Tesla’s batteries cost less than $400 a kilowatt-hour. Musk has said he wants to cut costs by 30 percent with full output. Tesla declined to comment on battery prices.

3 to 5 years? Someone tell every EV manufacturer, because they all have 8-10 year warranties. Also I guess that means my car doesn't work since its 7 years into the same battery pack with over 95% capacity...

It really amazes me how much people get wrong about batteries. This is an insanely easy fact to check and they are extremely wrong on it. And that bit about nobody knowing how to lower prices? They've been lowering consistently for decades....

3 to 5 years? Someone tell every EV manufacturer, because they all have 8-10 year warranties. Also I guess that means my car doesn't work since its 7 years into the same battery pack with over 95% capacity...

It really amazes me how much people get wrong about batteries. This is an insanely easy fact to check and they are extremely wrong on it. And that bit about nobody knowing how to lower prices? They've been lowering consistently for decades....

People seem to forget that the Roadster has been on the road for a while now.

Status
Not open for further replies.