Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the article was pretty good for a general business publication, despite a few errors. The biggest flaw I see is that the article is written (at least at the top) as though success of one kind of battery will displace all other chemistries—it's a race to win! I'm delighted if Ambri has an economic, durable flow battery suitable for large-scale stationary power applications, but with an energy density of 200 pounds/kWh, it has no place in transportation. Tesla's battery tilts the scales at 15.3 pounds/kWh. The SEEO technology looks interesting, but it sounds like it's a good way out from commercial applications. I also doubt that it's really going to be cheaper in 5 years than the Gigafactory's output.

The more interesting question is whether LiIon is really the right chemistry for stationary storage. In some settings weight and size aren't very important, but as we've seen in @wk057's setup, even using Tesla's batteries in a home storage system results in a room-sized installation. In any case, it's good to see serious cash being invested in battery research and development.

Last edited:
Another day, another "miracle" battery that claims to be better than Li-ion market leaders Panasonic/Samsung SDI/LG Chem
by misrepresenting current technology and focusing on one area where they are supposedly better.
The Amri cells with a piss-poor 20 Wh/kg energy density and "under $500/kWh" price won't impress anyone after a closer look.

/rant

Yeah, what`s really disturbing with most of these articles and analyst notes is that they treat drawing board stage, lab test phase, vaporware and real life in production (Tesla) batteries as the same. It`s great they have a battery with molten metal, but let`s get back to it when they put that T1000 into a car.... and keep the metal molten and not weigh a billion tons... Oh, the salt battery? Yeah, with 1/7th Tesla capacity let`s throw that in too.

Last edited:
Anyone have the full report from MS that is referenced in this article? Thanks http://finance.yahoo.com/news/morgan-stanley-watching-teslas-earnings-120833398.html

That article pretty much sums it up--it was a very short note from Adam Jonas. Little bit more forward looking statement on margins:

In Q1, we expect non-GAAP total gross margins (incl. stock comp) of 25.0% vs. 22.1% previously. We've adjusted our 2015 gross margin cadence to account for more productivity/efficiency gains associated with Model S production in the first half of the year. However, we expect margins to deteriorate in 2H, and hit a low in Q4, as production ramps for the Model X.

- - - Updated - - -

I don´t... But what is in there maybe explains current 1% drop in TSLA:
- Reduced 2015 production estimate to 51,000 (from 55,000 guided)
- However, kept $280 Price target and overweight rating

Actually, I don't think they reduced their estimate. It says "adjusted" in the note and it might just as well be an increase (have to look it up), because MS has always been quite conservative with their estimates.

I don´t... But what is in there maybe explains current 1% drop in TSLA:
- Reduced 2015 production estimate to 51,000 (from 55,000 guided)
- However, kept $280 Price target and overweight rating

I'm not going to bother getting this note from my broker... Not very happy with AJ at the moment. I find his failure to trust Tesla delivery guidance very disturbing (of him).

Btw: I think you meant "delivery" not "production"

Thx Robert! I needed a good laugh. Classic

maybe I will read the note. I still just don't get his rationale at releasing an estimate now of deliveries v guidance... Why why why AJ? There are like 3 quarters to go this year! You can't possibly know better than Tesla why they are at 55k guidance.

The only plausible explanation is that tesla revises their guidance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Need the media to pick this up

that would be nice Fred!

it is worth noting, however, that though it was an 11th hour vote, the Maryland Dealer association was behind it, so I guess somewhat expected. apparently GM was pushing to limit Tesla to 2 stores, while dealers had agreed to a 6 store compromise. it's good this got settled in the current legislative session. back to Fred's point, plenty in the media sure covered every follow on natural consequence of Musk's February announcement re light China sales as if it were a completely new story of problems in China (reducing staff, lower numbers in February,...), so, yeah, let's see some media coverage of this good news out of Maryland!

Quick update about CRS-6, about T-30min from liftoff.

- Weather is looking good for launch (stormy weather nearby so could still change).
- Conditions are fantastic at the drone ship landing site, a (historic) landing will definitely be attempted if the launch happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.