Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some more free advertising thanks to CNET: Elon Musk would make the best tech president, says survey:

View attachment 83065
(link)

Thanks for sharing that, Manuel. It's interesting that so many people think Elon would make a good American president. Perhaps he would. However, he is a naturalized American citizen, meaning he was not born here. According to the US Constitution that makes him ineligible for the office of president.

Tesla Motors Model S is celebrating it's 3rd birthday this June.
Three years ago the very first batch of Model S vehicles was delivered to their very first customers.

Here is an article from Green Car Reports covering this story (link):
Tesla Model S, Three Years Later: What Electric Car Taught Us

Please take the two minutes required to watch the embedded video of Model S Signature number 1 delivery to Steve Stuvertson in the above mentioned Green Car Reports article.
You will be rewarded by the incredible smile of Steve Jurvetson driving the first meters in his very own Model S and short ad-hoc speech.

It would be amazing to see some kind of celebration of this great Model S 3rd birthday around the globe!

BTW there's still not a single vehicle from the so called "competition" in sight that is better and cheaper compared to Model S.
Thus still after 3 years Model S is not getting old, it is still leading from the front.

Last edited:

Here I found the transcript of Tesla CEO Elon Musk speaking to CNBC’s Phil Lebeau on CNBC’s “Power Lunch” in reaction to the above mentioned LA Times article.
Well worth a read: link
[...]
And the crazy thing is if you add up all the subsidies that Solar City and Tesla get historical and going forward it is 1000th of what the oil and gas industry get in a single year.
[...]

BTW credit to Phil Lebeau for a neutral interview.

Does anyone know how to track the market cap of the oil and gas industry?
Is the Dow Jones Oil & Gas Titans 30 Index reliable ?

There's also
- S&P Oil & Gas Equipment
- S&P Oil & Gas Exploration & Production
- Dow Jones U.S. Integrated Oil & Gas

They may be benchmarked with
- S&P Global Clean Energy Index
- S&P Energy
- S&P 500

I'm trying to measure the pain that this industry may feel as it starts following the death of the coal industry.

Good question. I'm not familiar with any of these indexes, but O&G exploration & production seems on target for the kind scenarios I'm concerned about. Exploration is a long-term investment and should be sensitive to changes in energy outlook.

XOP is an ETF for exploration and production. To help put that into context, USO is an ETF that tracks crude oil prices. So over the last 12 months XOP has lost 35% value, while USO has lost 45%. What would be interesting to see is an increase in oil prices that does not correspond to an increase in XOP as this could suggest poor long-term prospects in spite of favorable current oil prices.

Don't be bitter. I'm sure tesla will fall to levels of your liking. Or not..
I guess I need to remind you again that I closed my Put positions on March 16th after the range anxiety tweet when the stock was around $190, it was my last Put that was purchased when the stock was at much higher levels!

Bitter??? Since you don't know what you are talking about let me explain, JHM was posting on & on about his utopian views of Tesla+Solar City & how incredible the oportunities will be in 2025 & 2030+, after I made my comment Robert moved a bunch of his posts to the appropriate thread.

I guess I need to remind you again that I closed my Put positions on March 16th after the range anxiety tweet when the stock was around $190, it was my last Put that was purchased when the stock was at much higher levels!

Bitter??? Since you don't know what you are talking about let me explain, JHM was posting on & on about his utopian views of Tesla+Solar City & how incredible the oportunities will be in 2025 & 2030+, after I made my comment Robert moved a bunch of his posts to the appropriate thread.

I could only speak for myself, but if you disagree with a line of thought which is being laid out, I would much rather read meaningful discussion on the essence - not acidic remarks that throw around superficial cliche labels...

Actually, the scenario I was expressing was not some utopian view about 2030, but concern about an immanent asset bubble in fossil generators. We have seen such play out in oil over the last year, oil having lost half it's value. We have seen that with the coal industry with 36% of plants closed in the last 3 years and a 75% market cap decline across the industry. Fossil generator asset are overvalued and the financial markets can figure this out anytime within the next few years. So I do view it as a short term trading opportunity, but I am happy to have that discussion in any thread.

Not sure where to put this, so I'm putting it in here since this thread is pretty alive most of the time. So I was watching the latest episode of Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee and look what I saw:

tesla.png

Pretty funny that it shows up this way because Jerry is all about "real" cars and even has automaker commercials at the beginning and end of his episodes.

If you have never seen this series before, you should definitely check it out.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus Julia Louis-Dreyfus: I’ll Go If I Don’t Have To Talk - Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee by Jerry Seinfeld

Status
Not open for further replies.