Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't this make using batteries more advantageous?
Not sure, maybe batteries powered by fuel cells:wink:

Sounds like solar isn't too thrilled
California regulators approve higher electricity rates for most residents - LA Times
"Customers using twice as much electricity as average can expect their bills to go down, while bills will be raised on everyone else," the group explained.
The solar industry also opposed the bill changes.
Michael Powers, co-owner of San Diego-based solar provider Stellar Solar, said his industry could be headed for hard times if state regulators also embrace a new solar tariff that reduces incentives. Solar providers are bracing at the same time for the expiration of solar investment tax credit provisions at the end of 2016.
"Speaking as a business owner, I have to say it's really hard to reconcile the state of California and the governor and the Legislature saying that we want clean energy to be an engine of economic development," Powers said. "On the other side you have the utilities and the Public Utilities Commission making solar less and less affordable."

California electricity rates to undergo biggest change in 15 years - SFGate
Commissioners wanted to bring relief to many homeowners who consistently land in the upper tiers, arguing that they were in effect subsidizing their thriftier neighbors. But the commissioners also wanted to preserve the principle that bigger users should pay more for power than those who conserve. Balancing those goals proved tricky.
The new plan will cut the number of tiers from four to two, with electricity prices in the upper tier set 25 percent higher than prices in the lower tier. For many above-average users that represents a substantial break. PG&E customers, for example, currently pay twice as much for electricity in the fourth tier as they do in the first.
Changing the number of tiers and cutting the difference between them will raise bills for the most energy-efficient households. Neither the commission nor PG&E, however, offered any specific estimates Friday.
The commission also voted to slap a surcharge on the biggest residential energy users, those whose electricity usage is four times higher than the bottom tier. Any electricity consumed above that threshold will cost more than twice as much as electricity in the bottom tier.

Last edited:
Not sure, maybe batteries powered by fuel cells:wink:

Sounds like solar isn't too thrilled

A dozen years ago we knew that the CA rebates for solar would wind down over time. It is no shock. The point is that solar pays for itself in a short time, and decreasing incentives don't change that. If you look around, large businesses, government buildings, warehouses, have solar panels on the roof, and they aren't for looks.

As for solar being not too thrilled, I have to say that since I don't pay for electricity any more, they can do what they want with electric rates and tiers. Doesn't affect me. That's the glory of power from on high.

Most people can't figure this out, though.

The commission also voted to slap a surcharge on the biggest residential energy users, those whose electricity usage is four times higher than the bottom tier. Any electricity consumed above that threshold will cost more than twice as much as electricity in the bottom tier.

Effectively creating a third tier after they said they wanted to simplify the tier structure from 4 to 2.

Basically, they are punishing outliers. Extremely efficient consumers will not get as big a break as they used and extreme energy hogs will still be punished but a little less so.

they are setting up the long term where the transmission infrastructure is still needed for almost all residents & businesses for supplemental, backup and sell-back but is no longer called to deliver 100% of power to end users. I expect this to be multiple adjustments over the next 20-40 years.

The power companies in California are very aware of the long-term impact of solar on their businesses.

And I expect a lot of general market volatility on Monday due to Greece + China developments over the weekend. Not so sure about any squeeze in that type of environment.

So, what are the predictions with cancellation rate. Even if it were 10-20% (I think 20% is an exaggeration) we still have 22-25K people waiting for their X. Not bad in my book.

I don't think cancelations are near that high. With the Model S the question wasn't WHEN, it was IF. This is a new era of the company. It's not IF the Model X gets mass produced, it's WHEN.

People will have more patience waiting for the X because they have already seen how great the S is and they know the X will be better.

Also if you were waiting on an X what are you going to cancel it for and buy in its place? There is nothing out there that is nearly as compelling.

I'm not concerned at all about the cancellation rate even if it's 20%. Because the second the Design Studio has the X configuration in it, and the X pages of the site get updated, and the media goes nuts, that cancelled 20% will be probably filled up by new orders within what, a week? Maybe not even that long.

I don't think cancelations are near that high. With the Model S the question wasn't WHEN, it was IF. This is a new era of the company. It's not IF the Model X gets mass produced, it's WHEN.

People will have more patience waiting for the X because they have already seen how great the S is and they know the X will be better.

Also if you were waiting on an X what are you going to cancel it for and buy in its place? There is nothing out there that is nearly as compelling.

I'm not concerned at all about the cancellation rate even if it's 20%. Because the second the Design Studio has the X configuration in it, and the X pages of the site get updated, and the media goes nuts, that cancelled 20% will be probably filled up by new orders within what, a week? Maybe not even that long.
Agreed. That was the point in asking the question. Even exaggerating the amount of cancellations TM will be production constrained well into the model 3 launch

So, what are the predictions with cancellation rate. Even if it were 10-20% (I think 20% is an exaggeration) we still have 22-25K people waiting for their X. Not bad in my book.

Paul Carter does some regular analysis on that on the Model X tally thread, looks like he is estimating 15% cancellations. This is his update from a month ago, I guess there will be a new one soon.

Paul Carter does some regular analysis on that on the Model X tally thread, looks like he is estimating 15% cancellations. This is his update from a month ago, I guess there will be a new one soon.

The 15% was tallied in when the company actually said at the end of last year how many Model X reservations they had. The reason for the relatively high cancellation rate was people largely switching over to the Model S instead of waiting for the X especially after the release of the Dual Motor Model S which is what a lot of people wanted in their car and thought they would only get that in the X. This is also evidenced by the *massive* drop off in reservation rates after the reveal of the Dual Motors. It isn't concerning at all that the Model S cannibalized the X reservations since the company has admitted to strongly anti-selling the Model X. I am sure when the X comes out the balance will flip the other way but it will be good for the company overall.

Quite a few Model X reservation holders reported cancelling for an AWD Model S. There is ONE thing out there that is nearly as compelling :)

We know it is at least 4000 because when the tally was at 24k, Tesla announced 20k pre-orders. Personally I think there will be less conversions from deposit to sale for the X than for the S because there is an alternative now. Back then, you had to wait for the S and that's it. This time around, if you had an X reservation because you want AWD you might have already bought the P85D. Or if it was an good range for an affordable price you might have went with a 70 etc. But availability of a good product is what drives demand for Tesla so it really doesn't matter too much at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.