Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The irony is, as manic depressive as the stock has been for the past 2 years, the company has been remarkably steady. They've accomplished pretty much everything that they've said that they'd do regarding Model S....over 20,000 cars in 2013, 35,000 in 2014 (close enough), 25% gross margin (close enough), etc.

The demand picture is much clearer now than a year ago, and we're very close to Model X launch. No f*res, no serious recalls. More clarity on battery life and reliability with over 1 billion miles driven. Gigafactory starts production in less than a year.

Yet, when you look back over the past 2 years, the overall mood of the media regarding TSLA has swung wildly from elation to doom, and back again. Doom prevails at this moment. This plays out well for those with patience and a long-term view.

Others have probably done this before me, but I checked the share price around Model S Design Studio release and first Model S Delivery.

The SP was:
34-37 around Design Studio release in March 2012
31-33 around Model S delivery event in June 2012
It wasn't until a year later in May 2013, that the price started to climb to 54 and popped to 190 in Septemper.

How can we be shure that the Model X design studio and delivery will influence the stock any more than the Model S? I shure hope so, but was actually just checking Model S releas to get an ide of what the Model X release would look like...

Others have probably done this before me, but I checked the share price around Model S Design Studio release and first Model S Delivery.

The SP was:
34-37 around Design Studio release in March 2012
31-33 around Model S delivery event in June 2012
It wasn't until a year later in May 2013, that the price started to climb to 54 and popped to 190 in Septemper.

How can we be shure that the Model X design studio and delivery will influence the stock any more than the Model S? I shure hope so, but was actually just checking Model S releas to get an ide of what the Model X release would look like...

Model X should provide a pop in the stock price assuming something new is released. We know they will have the 90 kw pack, but anything of surprise may elevate the stock. No guarantees on the Design Studio alone causing an uptick. A firm delivery timeframe would be the most likely event to cause a stock price increase.

I am also not sure why the first X shipments will cause much of a pop. It is a big de-risking, to see that it is cool and real. But these things are supposed to be, so only risk goes away.

Blip, that is a useful reminder. It wasn't until Q1 2013, when they announced they would be profitable that the stock took off and never looked back. There are a lot of parallels here in 2015. Mid year first deliveries, ramping in the 2H. Goal to be cash flow positive in Q4 (really Q1 I think). I think the pattern is no coincidence. You go through the pains to do the launch, then you just let the factory run and work on efficiency and scale for a quarter or 2. Meanwhile, you tamp down other spending and remind investors that the business IS fundementally profitable. Stock goes up, cash raise is done, rinse, repeat.

For this reason I am wondering if we won't really be treading water until next spring....

Wind PPAs have reached a new low price of 2.35 c/kWh. The installed wind capacity in the US is 66 GW with 1 GW in distributed wind. Coupled with Powerpacks and other storage, wind has the potential to knock a lot more coal and natural gas out of the electricity market.

But is there potential here for Tesla to make a contribution here beyond TE products? I believe so. Wind generators are mechanical devices that wear out. The drivetrain of a typical wind generator involves a lot of gears, and they wear out in about 10 years. Tesla now aspires to make a million mile drivetrain for its car. Could they also develop wind drivetrain that lasts 40 years? I believe they may have insight into how to engineer a very low friction, nearly solid state drivetrain that has at least twice the life expectancy. Moreover, could they push the envelope on distributed wind generation and help drive the bundling of distributed wind, solar and battery systems. I think that Tesla with its proximity to SpaceX and SolarCity is well positioned to make such contrubutions. They only drawback I see is that Tesla currently has its hands full with autos and batteries.

Is there much wind on Mars?

The boom in wind energy couldn’t be coming at a better time - The Washington Post

gearless wind turbines:

GE Grabs Gearless Wind Turbines | MIT Technology Review

Don't know if these ever made it into normal operation or not. I remember reading about these in Technology Review several years ago (2009).

What about stacking the batteries in the large hollow mount holding up the blades? Or would they be too heavy and better situated on shore where the power comes in? They you convert the variable power single wind machine or wind farm to more of a baseload system.

RT

I am also not sure why the first X shipments will cause much of a pop. It is a big de-risking, to see that it is cool and real. But these things are supposed to be, so only risk goes away.

Blip, that is a useful reminder. It wasn't until Q1 2013, when they announced they would be profitable that the stock took off and never looked back. There are a lot of parallels here in 2015. Mid year first deliveries, ramping in the 2H. Goal to be cash flow positive in Q4 (really Q1 I think). I think the pattern is no coincidence. You go through the pains to do the launch, then you just let the factory run and work on efficiency and scale for a quarter or 2. Meanwhile, you tamp down other spending and remind investors that the business IS fundementally profitable. Stock goes up, cash raise is done, rinse, repeat.

For this reason I am wondering if we won't really be treading water until next spring....
I would think the situation is completely different now.

Back in 2012 Tesla was a company with a pipe dream. Sure, the Model S looked nice and the specks were impressive on paper, but most thought it's going to be a kit car sold to a few hundred rich Californians and eventually prove everyone right who looks at EVs as weird mobiles or the toy of the rich. So doing the design studio and starting deliveries wasn't enough - it took the stellar Q1 2013 delivery numbers for people to take note that this is happening for real.

Today, Tesla has proven itself, the Model S is rivaling the sales of the 7 series BMW and production has been going on and growing for years. The cars are closing on on the Germans in quality, they are not falling apart, the batteries are not dying after 2 years, etc. The problem is that Tesla's management lost some credibility. They keep spending the money (as planned) but the results get pushed out. Will the X be delivered in September? Maybe, but it's been delayed by 2 years already. Will production scale without issues or will Tesla unravel in the complexities of producing 2 cars at high volume? Will the GF go online in q1 or will Elon just push it out in February by 2 years like with the other products?

So I think every bit of real "evidence" will help. Once the invites to the Founders deliveries go out to the press or the design studio goes live, we will see a bump -"yeah, ok, looks like they will delivery in q3 finally". Hell, even a tweet of the paintshop ready with the first X body may help.

Then as people start to configure and the sigs roll off the assembly lines we should see confidence build again. Right about that time we should learn q3 delivery numbers.

If evidence comes out of production ramping as planned later on, we should also see a bump.

I may be wrong, of course, but i think if Tesla starts showing signs of executing as planned, the current tide will shift the other way.

PS: of course i am long TSLA so I am optimistic about all of the above, just trying to think with the head of others, who are less involved or invested and look at this more pragmatically.

The irony is, as manic depressive as the stock has been for the past 2 years, the company has been remarkably steady. They've accomplished pretty much everything that they've said that they'd do regarding Model S....over 20,000 cars in 2013, 35,000 in 2014 (close enough), 25% gross margin (close enough), etc.

The demand picture is much clearer now than a year ago, and we're very close to Model X launch. No f*res, no serious recalls. More clarity on battery life and reliability with over 1 billion miles driven. Gigafactory starts production in less than a year.

Yet, when you look back over the past 2 years, the overall mood of the media regarding TSLA has swung wildly from elation to doom, and back again. Doom prevails at this moment. This plays out well for those with patience and a long-term view.

the anti-Tesla view has changed as well from 1. Model S is vaporware to 2. F*&E to 3. No one outside of California wants them to 4. No one outside of California & Norway wants them to 5. OK, the car exists, people like them worldwide, but Tesla can't make a profit while spending a ton of $$ on continued growth, so the growth won't materialize b/c investors won't fund it (or some other incoherent statement)

I would think the situation is completely different now.

Back in 2012 Tesla was a company with a pipe dream.

PS: of course i am long TSLA so I am optimistic about all of the above, just trying to think with the head of others, who are less involved or invested and look at this more pragmatically.

On the other hand, TSLA was trading in the 30's back then.

A number of the bears have conceded what Tesla has accomplished, even if some like Cory Johnson seem to be still quite sore about it. But their common argument now is valuation and as well as both the opex and capex spends are unsustainable. That's true, assuming a completely botched Model X launch.

I think there will be a pop for the Model X launch, but there is a risk that the collective we don't like the Model X or there is some reason for mass cancellation of reservations. That would obviously be very bad. But then, there are still questions about whether or not Tesla can deliver the car, deliver the car in volume, and make good positive GM on the car. So there's a lot more to be cautious about than merely launching the car.

gearless wind turbines:

GE Grabs Gearless Wind Turbines | MIT Technology Review

Don't know if these ever made it into normal operation or not. I remember reading about these in Technology Review several years ago (2009).

What about stacking the batteries in the large hollow mount holding up the blades? Or would they be too heavy and better situated on shore where the power comes in? They you convert the variable power single wind machine or wind farm to more of a baseload system.

RT

Yes, I wonder if this can be improved upon by use of batteries to optimize the harvest of energy. Suppose you have gusty wind that puts a lot of stress on the gearbox or other parts of the turbine. Very much like traction control, the rotors could be held at a constant rate of rotation while the electical system draws off just the right amount of energy one millisecond at a time. So the wind gusts, the mechanical systems stays steady, while the electrical system and battery absorbs the shock of each gust. This happens at the single generator level. Then power is aggregated across the farm and smoothed out for distribution into the grid. Thus batteries are providing at least two forms of buffering, protecting mechanical systems from stress and smoothing out output to the grid. A third form of buffering would be to store energy for usage at a later time. The batteries are located where they can be easily maintaned. At any rate, I suspect that Tesla may have some insights into this engineering challenge, and they'll need to refine that as the press toward a million mile drivetrain. Additionally there are ways to generate energy from vibrations. Tesla could be looking into ways to harness that as it would have the potential to reduce wear on the car and occupants. Imagine a digital shock absorber that smooths out the ride and conserves energy, like regenerative braking, that would otherwise be wasted as jarring vibration.

I am interested in everyone's take as to why Jerome is taking a leave of absence?

There are a number of speculated reasons. Some benign: he could use a break, some not so. I don't think we will ever know for sure but if you would like to be part of a group 'thank you': http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/51316-Thank-you-Jerome

I will not be surprised at all if TSLA trades in the 200-250 range until Model X ramps up. TSLA made its first huge run when the company announced a profitable quarter based on Model S sales. At that point, nobody could deny that Tesla had succeeded in getting Model S to customers and making money too.

When Model X begins to have positive financial impact, that is when I think TSLA will soar again. If Tesla reaches Elon's goal of "free cash flow" due to Model X, enthusiasm for the stock will be incredible.

The key is patience, which is tough. I have to admit that I am more impatient for Model X than I ever was for any iPhone. I am sure that many Roadster and early Model S owners can remember how itchy the wait was for delivery of their cars...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.