Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for info, any more details?
If that is true, that is actionable info :smile:, buying a few calls might be a good move

Auzie, I just looked at the January, 2016, edition of Consumer Reports magazine, and I can verify that Tesla's Model S did indeed top the owner satisfaction ratings with a 97% satisfaction rating. Number 2 was Chevrolet Corvette at 94% and Number 3 was Porsche Cayman at 93%.

The Tesla Model S also graduated head of the class in cargo carrying (100% satisfaction). It also did very well in local driving and as a commuting car, a category that was dominated by Electric or high-mileage vehicles. It only rated #40 in long-distance driving, however.

Electric vehicles did not finish particularly high overall in satisfaction, probably because of limited range with many models. The number 2 EV in satisfaction was the Toyota Prius at 83%, followed by Chevrolet Volt at 82%, Toyota Prius V at 77%, BMW i3 at 76% Nissan Leaf at 76%, and then three others.

Last edited:
The question is when will we see the click-bait headlines, and how will they spin it? They could say one line on how it still has a 97% satisfaction, and then spend the rest of the article talking about how Consumer reports doesn't recommend the vehicle because of reliability problems (and leave how the part about how it was more reliable than Mercedes S, Infinity, etc., and that reliability has probably improved on the newer cars).

rdalcanto, In this case, since one of us (me) has read the main article, I can tell you it is only 4 paragraphs long and doesn't talk badly about the Model S. The article basically says that even with gas being cheap these days, owners still value high-mileage. They also value performance. A video was included with the online version of the Consumers Report magazine article, but it only talked about the worst offenders and mentioned nothing about the Tesla Model S. So, there was no negative spin in this article and the Tesla Model S comes out once again ahead of the pack.

Edit: Although someone could try to negatively spin the CR satisfaction survey, they do so at their own peril. The overall rating was 97% of Model S owners would definitely buy this car again, and if someone tries to spin it another way, they're going to look pretty ridiculous.

I was talking about a web site like Motley Fool or Seeking Alpha doing an article about the latest Consumer Reports findings, and trying to get back to the reliability issue (to manipulate the stock down) instead of focusing on the high customer satisfaction.

There's an old joke about spin from the cold war days. A Soviet and American car raced each other. The American car won easily. In the Soviet press, it was reported that there had been an important car race, a Soviet car finished second and an American car came in next to last. Any reality can be spun, and will be.

Last edited:
rdalcanto, In this case, since one of us (me) has read the main article, I can tell you it is only 4 paragraphs long and doesn't talk badly about the Model S. The article basically says that even with gas being cheap these days, owners still value high-mileage. They also value performance. A video was included with the online version of the Consumers Report magazine article, but it only talked about the worst offenders and mentioned nothing about the Tesla Model S. So, there was no negative spin in this article and the Tesla Model S comes out once again ahead of the pack.

Edit: Although someone could try to negatively spin the CR satisfaction survey, they do so at their own peril. The overall rating was 97% of Model S owners would definitely buy this car again, and if someone tries to spin it another way, they're going to look pretty ridiculous.

Looking ridiculous hasn't stopped the shorts and shills up to this point.

The question is when will we see the click-bait headlines, and how will they spin it? They could say one line on how it still has a 97% satisfaction, and then spend the rest of the article talking about how Consumer reports doesn't recommend the vehicle because of reliability problems (and leave how the part about how it was more reliable than Mercedes S, Infinity, etc., and that reliability has probably improved on the newer cars).
"210 million people in the world dislikes Tesla's Model S" What they leave out in the head line will be. "we took the 3 % dissatisfaction and extrapolated into the total car buyer population. Seeing that it is not large enough of a number, we decided that we should pretend that 3% of the whole world hates Tesla"

"210 million people in the world dislikes Tesla's Model S" What they leave out in the head line will be. "we took the 3 % dissatisfaction and extrapolated into the total car buyer population. Seeing that it is not large enough of a number, we decided that we should pretend that 3% of the whole world hates Tesla"

Great....I can see your post quoted tomorrow by Santos...........:wink:

Bonnie is indeed a reliable source of information. One problem, though, is that she earned an upgrade to founder's edition of Model X through the referral program and her status as someone waiting for a founder's edition no longer makes her someone waiting at the top of the signature list for Model X. Founders who earned that position through the referral program could be handled, before, during, or after the signature deliveries. This development complicates the use of Bonnie as a barometer of signature delivery progress.

Bonnie is still in line for the second signature plus the founders model.

Good news!

Good news that the #2 signature res holder, and now Founders edition, still doesn't have her X? It's the 2nd week of December.

I believe Papafox thought Bonnie had given up her #2 SigX position in favor of the Founder's X. Thus, she would have NO news to share about time frame in taking delivery on her Sig#2. 'good news' was that Bonnie usually shares info with the TMC members.

Yes, it is not 'good news' that we have heard nothing from Sig #1 or #2 about confirmation about delivery

edit: I have come around on the theory that to make 50K guidance for 2015 that TM is maximizing S production at the expense of X production. IIRC they are sharing, in part, the same assembly line so TM may just be accumulating supplies for a ramp of X in Q1 2016......At least that is my hope:wink:

Last edited:
I have come around on the theory that to make 50K guidance for 2015 that TM is maximizing S production at the expense of X production. IIRC they are sharing, in part, the same assembly line so TM may just be accumulating supplies for a ramp of X in Q1 2016......At least that is my hope:wink:

I subscribe to the theory that technical issues are still preventing a drastic ramp up. The famous leakster over the summer was spot on with their predictions and Tesla waffling over key elements of the model X design (# of seats, charging rate, ...) does not do much to raise confidence that the company is ready to actually start mass-producing the car. Therefore I remain on the sidelines in short term.

I am consistently shocked at how oddly the SP moves on no or little news. Including this morning. While I am extraordinarily comfortable being a fundamental long term bull, I cannot get my head around any reasonable strategy for short term investing. Not sure I'll be contributing much moving forward because of this acknowledgement. But I will be watching you all weigh in regularly still.

Best to all!

I am consistently shocked at how oddly the SP moves on no or little news. Including this morning. While I am extraordinarily comfortable being a fundamental long term bull, I cannot get my head around any reasonable strategy for short term investing. Not sure I'll be contributing much moving forward because of this acknowledgement. But I will be watching you all weigh in regularly still.

Best to all!

Oil down 3%, market down 1/2% seems like the reason for the fall today.

Best to all!

It's tough trading at the end of the year and January simply because there isn't much going on and people are just winding down and figuring out asset allocations for January which is typically why you see movement the week after New Years. Think of the stock market like your local gym... slows down during the Holidays and picks up in the New Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.