Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Apple is a gigafactory investor (yet). With this type of investment you would expect a certain level of cooperation and non-competition. The recruiting of the recruiters (Tesla to Apple and Apple to Tesla) disclosed in earlier messages leads me to believe that this investment has not yet occurred.

I'm pretty sure that what you are talking about is illegal and Apple has been found guilty of doing it in the recent past already....

I don't think Apple is a gigafactory investor (yet). With this type of investment you would expect a certain level of cooperation and non-competition. The recruiting of the recruiters (Tesla to Apple and Apple to Tesla) disclosed in earlier messages leads me to believe that this investment has not yet occurred.

Also, how would Apple be able to to keep an investment like that secret? After all Apple is a publicly traded company. Do they just write off $1Bn under "other expenses" and expect owners (stock holders) to not ask: what's that $1Bn for???

Also, how would Apple be able to to keep an investment like that secret? After all Apple is a publicly traded company. Do they just write off $1Bn under "other expenses" and expect owners (stock holders) to not ask: what's that $1Bn for???

Doubt AAPL shareholders would even notice something as insignificant as a little $1bn investment. Anyway they're constantly saying Apple needs to spend some of its absurd cash reserves so can't imagine them minding too much.

It's AAPL, billion here, billion there. Pocket change ;)

beat me to it :smile:

Is this completely speculative rumour regarding AAPL really driving this move? I guess +1.5% is justifiable....after all if something of the sort was confirmed the stock would soar +10%+.

I think it is, and I think the rumor is false. Probably going to be a "sell the news" factor here, timing is anyone's guess. Careful trying to buy into this, I'd say.

I think it is, and I think the rumor is false. Probably going to be a "sell the news" factor here, timing is anyone's guess. Careful trying to buy into this, I'd say.

Agreed, I'm far from convinced by this. We've had so many of these rumours from fairly shady sources and with no real conviction and this one doesn't seem any different.
To me this is a good opportunity for those who were waiting for a good time to roll their options out a bit or take profits, nothing more. Buying on a questionable rumour after a few flat days and a long and strong run-up over the last few weeks seems too risky to be worth it when we know that good buying opportunities keep coming around where we have a very clear info edge over the market.

It would make no sense for Apple to buy Tesla, or attempt to enter the automobile industry with an Apple car. If Apple bought Tesla, Apple would be taking on the entire financial burden, and risks that go with the things Tesla is trying to do.

However, a $1-10 billion would be pocket change for a company that regularly invests billions into its supply chain, would not necessarily need to be disclosed by Tesla or Apple, and would be a win-win for Tesla and Apple.

Is this completely speculative rumour regarding AAPL really driving this move? I guess +1.5% is justifiable....after all if something of the sort was confirmed the stock would soar +10%+.

I've only seen this latest AAPL connection talked about here. The $TSLA feed on Twitter is usually a good indication of what gossip is driving the market and I haven't seen anyone mention it there. I think this is just another minor test higher. It may follow through, it may not. Not every 3 dollar move up and down needs to be justified, the market is just doing it's thing.

You don't get to $800Bn market cap by having neither management nor ownership that would allow for "1Bn here and 1Bn there".
I used to think the same way. AAPL spent a billion on GTAT and look what happened there...Part of my investment thesis was Apple wouldn't just waste a billion $ on GTAT if there wasn't a good chance of it working out.

With that said this is all just speculation and I don't believe it. Time to discuss something new like where is TSLA going to get pinned today for OPEX?? ;)

However, a $1-10 billion would be pocket change for a company that regularly invests billions into its supply chain, would not necessarily need to be disclosed by Tesla or Apple, and would be a win-win for Tesla and Apple.

It's not always a win (for the non-Apple side) to become an Apple supplier - just look at GTAT. In less extreme examples, Apple's been known to squeeze their smaller suppliers (where the Apple business is a large portion of their total business) to near-financial ruin once Apple gets the supplier pregnant.

However I imagine Mr. Musk would not put Tesla in that position if he did deal with Apple...

Since Apple has a cool $200bn in cash and a Good chunk of that is in Ireland and they can't take it home easily (or cheaply) it would make total sense for them to invest it abroad. Seeing how lucrative the battery business is and especially if they really want to make an EV it wouldn't surprise me if they partnered for GF2 and GF3 in Europe and Asia. So while this may be a rumor, it is not that far fetched. Back on topic, if true, TSLA would go nuts if they announced a partnership.

My guess is now that Tesla had made it very clear that there is very high demand for all of its products, Tesla's suppliers will be more willing to produce at higher volumes/lower costs, and Panasonic may want to accelerate its investment in Tesla's Gigafactory/Gigafactories.

Status
Not open for further replies.