Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to think the same way. AAPL spent a billion on GTAT and look what happened there...Part of my investment thesis was Apple wouldn't just waste a billion $ on GTAT if there wasn't a good chance of it working out.

With that said this is all just speculation and I don't believe it. Time to discuss something new like where is TSLA going to get pinned today for OPEX?? ;)

But the big difference is suggesting that the GTAT investment (and subsequent losses, even though one can argue if Apple really lost out with GTAT or got what they wanted all along) might as well have been kept a secret to Apple shareholders somehow.

So Apple wants to buy 5 GWh of Powerpacks over the next five years and has the cash to pay it all upfront for $1B. Next customer, please. Oh, look, Google needs 10 GWh. Next.

Seriously, big companies like Apple and Google will place big orders for Powerpacks. There's no need to get all worked up about it.

But the big difference is suggesting that the GTAT investment (and subsequent losses, even though one can argue if Apple really lost out with GTAT or got what they wanted all along) might as well have been kept a secret to Apple shareholders somehow.

Not sure I'd lije an appl tsla tie up. Tim cook is a scary strategist. And any partnership needs to look for hidden clauses that might trigger as backup strategy.

Elon's style is guving undeniable trust and optimism to swing for the fences. But if ge uses the same style in Tim Cook, he will get backstabbed.

So Apple wants to buy 5 GWh of Powerpacks over the next five years and has the cash to pay it all upfront for $1B. Next customer, please. Oh, look, Google needs 10 GWh. Next.

Seriously, big companies like Apple and Google will place big orders for Powerpacks. There's no need to get all worked up about it.

Wait is this real? I agree with your sentiment about it not really being that big a deal, but this is the short term thread and such an announcement would have a far more substantial effect than the other announced customers we've seen just because of the extreme attention generated by any story with Apple and to a lesser extent Google in it.

Wait is this real? I agree with your sentiment about it not really being that big a deal, but this is the short term thread and such an announcement would have a far more substantial effect than the other announced customers we've seen just because of the extreme attention generated by any story with Apple and to a lesser extent Google in it.

With the size & power needs of Apple and Google server farms the powerpacks should make sense. Especially since Apple is trying to self-generate via solar.

No, I totally made it up. But I wanted to illustrate the point that $25k for a Powerpack is an extremely good price, and Tesla probably already has a ridiculously long waiting list. Any big buyer hoping to get to the head of the list needs to put substantial cash down now. Apple has piles of cash they have no go use for. Meanwhile they've got huge power needs at factories and server centers. Apple will get a huge ROI on acquiring Powerpacks, much better return than they'll get on cash equivalents. So why wouldn't they just step up to the front of the line?

Not sure I'd lije an appl tsla tie up. Tim cook is a scary strategist. And any partnership needs to look for hidden clauses that might trigger as backup strategy.

Elon's style is guving undeniable trust and optimism to swing for the fences. But if ge uses the same style in Tim Cook, he will get backstabbed.

Yes, any arrangement between the two could be dicey. (example: GTAT). My wife swears that Apple deliberately did in GTAT for their patents/facility that they could pick up 'on the cheap'. While I disagree, I have to admit that it is not impossible.

Amazons cloud to test new Tesla batteries | Network World

“We’ve been working closely with Tesla for the past year to drive innovative applications of high-capacity battery technology in data center applications with the ultimate goal of reducing the technical barriers limiting widespread adoption of renewables in the grid. Batteries are important for both data center reliability and as enablers for the efficient application of renewable power. They help bridge the gap between intermittent production, from sources like wind, and the data center’s constant power demands. We're excited to roll out a 4.8 megawatt hour pilot of Tesla’s energy storage batteries in our US West (Northern California) Region. This complements our strategy to use renewable energy to power our global infrastructure.”

-James Hamilton, Distinguished Engineer at AWS.

How I love the scent of short squeeze in the morning. TSLA just blasted through 248.

Edit:
Okay, maybe this isn't a short squeeze, but it must be making those shorts mighty nervous all the same. I'm still seeing July as being filled with positive catalysts. Can't wait.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.