Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a story on Tesla's purchase of Riviera Tools in Michigan with some (ahem) interesting conclusions.

Um, that took a pretty unexpected turn. [SUB]​(Not that I don't agree with him about...y'know...)

[/SUB]Cool that they'll have a TM sign up and that workers there will be Tesla employees. Some presence and positive press in the home of American 'traditional' car companies can't hurt and might help Tesla grow out of this image that it's by, and for, the wealthy, green, Californian elite and removed from Middle America.

Last edited:
Blind Faith Update

Those who exercised blind faith 6 weeks ago at $192, back when disbelief (implied discount) was at an annual high, have surely been well rewarded. The current price, $244 is now at 29.24% implied discout, the 40th percentile for sentiment. We will reach median sentiment at $260, which does not seem all that far off at the moment. If your objective is to accumulate when disbelief is high, then you might not want to buy at these prices but wait until sentiment drops back into the first quartile, below $225. My belief is that entry into the stationary market does not change Musk's long-term outlook, 50% annual revenue growth leading to $700B market cap in 2025, but this product diversification could change the distribution of implied discounts. That is, the reduction of uncertainty should leave the stock less prone to extremes of disbelief. So if you're waiting for an implied discout as high as 32% as it was 6 weeks ago, it might never come again.

BFPT... 5/14/2015... 1/15/2016... 1/20/2017
current. 244... 290... 377
min....... 192... 232... 308
q1......... 225... 267... 352
median. 260... 307... 397
q3......... 283... 333... 426
max...... 335... 390... 490

Long-term PT $3739.82, end of 2025! Always keep the end in sight, and good luck.

Those who exercised blind faith 6 weeks ago at $192, back when disbelief (implied discount) was at an annual high, have surely been well rewarded. The current price, $244 is now at 29.24% implied discout, the 40th percentile for sentiment. We will reach median sentiment at $260, which does not seem all that far off at the moment. If your objective is to accumulate when disbelief is high, then you might not want to buy at these prices but wait until sentiment drops back into the first quartile, below $225. My belief is that entry into the stationary market does not change Musk's long-term outlook, 50% annual revenue growth leading to $700B market cap in 2025, but this product diversification could change the distribution of implied discounts. That is, the reduction of uncertainty should leave the stock less prone to extremes of disbelief. So if you're waiting for an implied discout as high as 32% as it was 6 weeks ago, it might never come again.

Long-term PT $3739.82, end of 2025! Always keep the end in sight, and good luck.

this sounds better than a lullaby ! so cool.
thank you as always for your impressive BFPT updates. Simply priceless. I like your LT PT !!!
+1:wink:

I love your analysis. Is there a link on how to figure it out, and the theory behind it?

I love your analysis. Is there a link on how to figure it out, and the theory behind it?

Blind faith: elon has said in explicit terms what/how much he believes the company will be worth in 2025. This is the target and you have blind faith in it. The medium, lower and higher bands at different dates is just a statistical band along a linear curve toward that price target in 2025. Correct jhm?

Particularly impressive is how Blind Faith ends up with a 2025 price target in four digits and two decimals! Ten years from now! :biggrin:
Not that I disapprove of the figure as such, mind. My present holdings will be worth ... wait while I pull my socks off to calculate ... Meellions! :love:

Blind faith: elon has said in explicit terms what/how much he believes the company will be worth in 2025. This is the target and you have blind faith in it. The medium, lower and higher bands at different dates is just a statistical band along a linear curve toward that price target in 2025. Correct jhm?

I think it's CAGR (compound annual growth rate) rather than linear, i.e. at $244 Tesla would have to grow at 29.4% per year from now until 2025 to reach said blind faith target.

I still think the BFPT and related conversation should be a stickied thread.

Jhm, very interesting perspective. How was PT $3739.82 calculated? Today's market cap is 30.85B with closing price of $244.1 according to Yahoo. If we shooting for 700B in 2025. My calculation of PT in 2025 is (244.1/30.85)*700 = $5538.

Thanks for this table jhm. The formatting could have been better though:

BFPT5/14/20151/15/20161/20/2017
Current244290377
Min192232308
Q1225267352
Median260307397
Q3283333426
Max335390490
forjhm.png

:wink:

Last edited:
Jhm, very interesting perspective. How was PT $3739.82 calculated? Today's market cap is 30.85B with closing price of $244.1 according to Yahoo. If we shooting for 700B in 2025. My calculation of PT in 2025 is (244.1/30.85)*700 = $5538.

Here's how I calculate the longterm target:
MarketCap = 20 PE × 10% profit × $6000M rev2015 × 1.5^10 growth = $691,980 M.
Shares = 125M × 1.04^10 = 185M
SharePrice = $691,980/185 = $3739.82

So I am assume 4% annual share dilution. But actually, that assumption makes little difference because is I made no allowance for dilution, then the implied discount rates would just be about 4% higher. The net effect until shares outstanding increases is basically no different to price targets.

Over time, however, I may need to adjust this probably annually when new guidance comes out for revenue in the coming year and when the the number of shares change. Note that shares are now at 126M, so my assumption of 125M is a little out of date already! Also if Musk should suggest that long-term annual growth will be different from 50% or any other assumption, we would need to make that change too. However, I really don't see him changing this long term outlook much. I actually think Musk is conservative about 50% growth. So year after year as new revenue guidance comes out this could track upward.

Given what has recently come to light about demand for Powerpacks, do we think revenue guidance for 2016 could be greater than $9B, which is just 50% up from $6B guidance for 2015? It seems like it just comes down to how many packs the Gigafactory can pump out next year.

Certainly I welcome recommendations on how to improve tracking the longterm target. Keep in mind that it is just a far off anchor for the whole methodology. It is so far off that if you play around with moving it around by $1000 or so, it does not make a whole lot of difference in near term price targets. This is because the the real action is in the distribution of implied discounts which is all relative to the precise long-term target you assume. The whole point here is that all market participants know that Musk tells a fantastic story of long-term growth, but every participant discounts that vision in their own way. And over time collective discount that the market puts on that vision changes. Meanwhile, Tesla moves along growing revenue by something close to 50% a year as the vision takes shape. So at times that vision will seem more credible and at other times it may seem quite remote. Short term price movements are just the mood swings of the market, the interplay of faith and doubt.

What I do is compute the implied discout between each closing price over the last year and the Long-term Price Target.

ImpliedDiscount_t = (LTPT/Price_t)^(1/(T - t)) - 1

where T is the date of the LTPT, 12/31/2025 and $3739.82, respectively, and t is time of Price_t. Time is measured in fractional years.

Now with a years worth of implied discounts I can compute any percentile I choose, ordered from high discount ( low sentiment) to low discount (high sentiment). So I usual like to look AR the 0, 25, 50, 75, 100 percentiles to get the bands. My basic outlook is that this distribution will not change too radically over time, unless there is a fundamental change in vision. So if the distribution of implied discounts is stable, then I can use it to guage when sentiment is unsustainably low (buy!) and unsustainably high (sell or take cover). For me personally, the first and third quartiles are the key thresholds, but everyone should determine their own trading strategy. For example, the low BFPT for Jan 16 is $232. In light of Powerpack demand, I really do not see the price that low in January. So if the downside really is limited to $232 come January, and if we are trending up for a few month, buying at $244 might be a pretty good deal. So if I was personally not incredibly overweight on Tesla already, I might be happy to buy at current prices. So this is why everyone will need to work out there own strategy, but hopefully the BFPTs can mark out where we are in market mood swings in relation to the longterm vision.

Expect a thousand articles about this tomorrow:

Consumer Reports' Tesla Model S P85D Breaks Before Testing Begins - Consumer Reports

Strange headline + summary when: "Getting our Tesla fixed could hardly have been more convenient. We called our local Tesla service center to have the car picked up and hauled 60 miles away to the service center for repair. But instead, the company sent a local technician to our Auto Test Center the next morning. Tesla maintains a fleet of repair vans with technicians to provide on-site service for minor problems. Such house calls are part of the Tesla ownership experience, available to all customers."

Last time it was the media who were wrong to report on Consumer Reports' slight Tesla problems and blow them out of proportion, but it seems like CR is doing that on their own this time around. They get around to fair reporting if you bother to watch the entire video or read the entire article....but I don't expect people to have the attention span for that. Really the subheadline should say "but everything is fine, Tesla service was a joy" or something like that. Since that's essentially the conclusion they reach in both the article and video anyway.

Expect a thousand articles about this tomorrow:

Consumer Reports' Tesla Model S P85D Breaks Before Testing Begins - Consumer Reports

Strange headline + summary when: "Getting our Tesla fixed could hardly have been more convenient. We called our local Tesla service center to have the car picked up and hauled 60 miles away to the service center for repair. But instead, the company sent a local technician to our Auto Test Center the next morning. Tesla maintains a fleet of repair vans with technicians to provide on-site service for minor problems. Such house calls are part of the Tesla ownership experience, available to all customers."

Last time it was the media who were wrong to report on Consumer Reports' slight Tesla problems and blow them out of proportion, but it seems like CR is doing that on their own this time around. They get around to fair reporting if you bother to watch the entire video or read the entire article....but I don't expect people to have the attention span for that. Really the subheadline should say "but everything is fine, Tesla service was a joy" or something like that. Since that's essentially the conclusion they reach in both the article and video anyway.

Sounds pretty upbeat, but I suspect it could give us a little buying opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.