Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy high, sell low? Is that what people here are doing? Really?

Unfortunately that's typical behavior for retail investors. Their emotions take control. Pros take advantage of them by gratefully accepting the opposite side of their trades.

ADDENDUM: TSLA just now became green. The other auto stocks are still red.

Last edited:
Ladies and gentlemen put on your rally caps. We are going green today!

After the first squeeze, for a long time, my wife would look at TSLA and tell me "TSLA is up today." I'd replied don't worry, it'll go down again. I've always been right, although not always right away. Thankfully it has always eventually gone up again. Hopefully it will be continuously up again. But I wouldn't count on it. Eventually it will be however.

I don't know what the current rules are, but when I got my option to configure in ~Oct. 2012, I was able to defer without penalty. I didn't actually confirm my purchase configuration until May 2013, after the stock went over $90+ a share. I'd had my reservation in since Feb. 2010 through.
In any case, good luck.

I configured and confirmed my order the last week of December when the stock hit $240 level and back then I was confident that it would be at $250 when my X would go into production. Then in January a complete trend reversal.

Last edited:
I have been holding my nose and DCA'ing on these crappy mornings. Trying the "buy when everyone is afraid" trick. On past bottoms I was too timid.

People were also scared at 210 and 205. I guess I need to get better at really identifying widespread panic and capitulation from worry and concern among relatively expert investors. I didn't do anything at 210 as I am happy with my position but to me that seemed like a good time to apply the old Buffett rule. I guess what I'm saying is people can always get even more​ scared.

Don't be dismayed if we level off just below the green today. It is actually a victory to recover the lost ground of the morning dip. I don't think the shorts will let us have green during the low-volume trading hours without a fight.

If we don't get our green today, with the help of max-pain I think we'll get our green tomorrow if the broader markets have a good day.

The level of pain being experienced by options traders hit by this fall in TSLA is saddening. Even though I understand you all know the risks of derivatives trading, I still feel for you. Scott Ales, etc... The time-limit thing really puts a different dimension on the daily movements.

Can't really call a bottom, but I can seriously say that selling any long positions now (shares) where you do not need the cash would be falling into the typical retail investor trap. If you believe in the company, stop staring at the screen and continue to buy in increments monthly to average your costs of TSLA share ownership. You're just buying more of TSLA at lower prices currently.... nothing else to it. Don't give in and realize your losses unless you really really need the cash.

@jhm: interesting calculation with regard to oil price bottoming out and stabilizing due to arbitrage opportunities in storage. You laid out the case for the arbitrage using the example of "June 2018 future is at $43.70 and the March 2016 is at $31.87" and how you could quite easily make 20% ROE by financing storage. Doesn't this mean that the the market is pricing (time value) of the futures wrong (too high?). Or another way to see it is that the market is still pricing in an expected return to higher price/barrel as part of the time value?

It takes time and capital to add storage capacity. These arbitrage opportunities exist to motivate this infrastructural investment. So in short term trading these arbitrage opportunities will present themselves.

However, this structural change is taking place. OPEC is no longer willing or able to be the swing producer. To the need to balance out longterm supply and demand falls to the futures market and storage. As storage capacity is added globally, it will continue to be available almost permanently. With an abundance of storage capacity, it will add financial efficiency to the oil market. The peaks and valleys of the oil market will become more contained. Indeed storage capacity implies an arbitrage bound on peaks and valleys within a certain number of years.

Note also that the cost to bring on nonconventional oil starts at about $50. So long as the world demands more oil than can be supplied through existing wells and conventional reserves, the far end of the futures curve must exceed $50. If there is an abundance of unutilitzed storage capacity, then the spot price is bounded below by $50 (1+r)^10. For a discount of 7.2% per my example, this works out to $25. But if the future curve is steeper than only hitting $50 in 10 years, the lower bound on the spot price can be much higher. For example, if long-term demand is strong enough that nonconventional must be added with 5 years, then you get to a lower bound of $40. So the futures market will sort this out.

But I would also point out that this storage theory is all predicated on sustained long-term demand. I do believe that renewable energy is displacing demand for all fossil fuel. This offset was about 1.3MBoe/d last year, and may continue to scale at 30% per year for the next 15 or more years. So on time this disrupts the whole sustainable demand assumption for oil. This leads to a breach of the $50 future price for oil as the futres market figures out that there really is no long-term demand for nonconventional oil. So the long end of the futures curve well eventually fall below $50 down perhaps below even $20. At this point, you know that the end truly has come. My hunch is that this collapse of the futures curve happen between 2025 and 2035. Demand for all oil must peak first before the market writes off nonconventional oil. I also think EV production needs to scale up to about 25 million per year first. At that point it will be abundantly clear that EVs are the future and offset more than 1mb/d of demand for oil.

So even as the futures curve collapses, having ample storage will be very important to mitigating the damage of oil in decline. Indeed the futures curve will collapse because storage becomes concerned about failing longterm demand. So any hint of inversion and storage will flood the spot market. Storage will place a cap on spot prices. Any oil producer foolish enough to ignore a declining futures market will be crushed in very short order. So the price of oil will be dictated by the expected number EVS 10 years into the future. We are not there yet, but I think it will be pretty amazing to watch unfold.

Status
Not open for further replies.