Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Repeating myself, but this is what a store manager told me when I walked into the store last week. She told me that every day at least 10 people come in who want to buy a Model X. She said she doesn't even want a Model X demo in the show room right now, because it would create traffic jams around Santana Row.

She went on to say that the big push right now is to serve all current X reservation holders by July and then be at a point where she can promise new interested people walking into the store that they will be able to get the car relatively soon if they place the order.

This is a wasted opportunity. You get people in the door and sell them an S if they can't wait

How can you have an spectacular analyst beat unless analysts cooperate with being spectacularly beaten.

Julian, I appreciate your unwavered optimism. I think I read in one of your posts that you don't share the opinion that X or it's ramp is in trouble. Curious, what are you basing this on?

I have read numerous negative (or at least non-positive) posts in the X sub-forum. Particularly problematic are the ones where the SC folks are complaining about it openly. Of course this is all anecdotal and I didn't see any cumulative data. But one thing most people would agree here is that the delivery rate is quite lower than anticipated and there is a strong suspicion this is due to quality issues. Essentially Tesla is still figuring out how to make these in volume seems to be the common belief among those who are watching this closely.

Being burned by time decay as TSLA was mostly in a range since I entered it last year, I can confirm that bolder portion is very, very important

Yes, you definitely need to understand that you lose time value by holding an option long. But the DITM 100's they were referencing only had ~$3 of time value at the time, and where therefore very cheap. So if you bought a bunch of 100's for $103 each and the stock was trading at $200, you only paid $3 over the intrinsic value. (That may not be the right term). So if at expiry the stock was exactly at $200, you are only out the $3. The time value for ATM options have a much higher time value and are more dangerous in this way.

Well, I can't say how TSLA will behave after ER/CC. But I believe Tesla will strongly refute demand concerns from analysts and in general tesla will provide decent guidance for 2016

With all these financial headlines one would think Tesla is back where it was in 2012 in respect to demand. Really weird price action yesterday and today to be completely honest especially looking at volume in the first hour of trading.

We are only down $8.62 :cursing:. I'm getting nervous the stock is going to crater after earnings. Someone talk me off the ledge again.

All of the auto stocks are down today, with Tesla not much more so than the others. The others reported sluggish January sales, while Tesla does not report monthly. The price of crude oil being well down today might be expected to hurt Tesla but benefit the others.

Last edited:
Tesla's best hope and its worst enemy are the same thing: Elon Musk. While he is a great visionary that Tesla very much needs to keep driving it forward, he is quite possibly one of the worst managers judging by the trajectory Tesla has been on the last year. The best thing for Tesla and its stock, long term, would be to bring on board someone who can take over daily management responsibilities in a (drum roll) responsible manner. All of Model X's issues can be directly traced back to Musk. The fact that Tesla still can't figure out how to make this car in volumes approaching the S is alarming at best.

Of course earnings are going to disappoint. When haven't they? Today's stock price is 100% related to the false hopes and expectations raised by Tesla's CEO only to downwardly revise some of those expectations later in the year. We call that eating crow. Yet he continues to repeat the pattern. He can't help himself. At the same time, the car's core software systems are stagnating while new competition is queuing up (Bolt).

Now Tesla is accelerating towards Model 3 production when it hasn't even figured out Model X production. Tesla is suing one of its former suppliers over failing to properly design the falcon wing doors. Sounds like sour grapes to me, passing the buck and blaming the vendor for what is just a poorly thought out design. But that's nothing new to Tesla. Elon demoted Jerome Guillen over poor performance in China, eventually leading to Guillen's leaving the company. Yet the decision to enter China in a spectacularly bad fashion was Musk's. Same with Hong Kong where hi pissed off an entire country full of Model S owners by not even bothering to follow the law in HK with regards to failing to obtain regulatory approval for Autopilot. At one point Musk called his own employees in China "morons" or something to that effect.

Amateur hour is over. We need a real leader to take over the day-to-day management duties from the engineer who has an obvious problem managing both priorities and expectations. Tesla lost George Blankenship, Jerome Guillen, and Deepak Ahuja. Judging by the state of Tesla's executive management page, it doesn't appear there is anyone left. Tesla is pissing off too many people, most of them owners, and I believe Tesla's downward spiral may have begun.

Julian, I appreciate your unwavered optimism. I think I read in one of your posts that you don't share the opinion that X or it's ramp is in trouble. Curious, what are you basing this on?

I have read numerous negative (or at least non-positive) posts in the X sub-forum. Particularly problematic are the ones where the SC folks are complaining about it openly. Of course this is all anecdotal and I didn't see any cumulative data. But one thing most people would agree here is that the delivery rate is quite lower than anticipated and there is a strong suspicion this is due to quality issues. Essentially Tesla is still figuring out how to make these in volume seems to be the common belief among those who are watching this closely.

I'm curious to this basis as well. Especially since we are Sig VIN 897 and haven't heard a peep about expected delivery of our X. If they were at a 238 per week and ended the year having produced 507 Model X vehicles (according to their PR on 1/4/16), then there is no way they are anywhere near 238 per week today. In fact, it has to be much much lower.

Of interest, I can't find the PR from 1/4/16 listed on their website any longer. Only in the 8-K to the SEC.

Tesla's best hope and its worst enemy are the same thing: Elon Musk. While he is a great visionary that Tesla very much needs to keep driving it forward, he is quite possibly one of the worst managers judging by the trajectory Tesla has been on the last year. The best thing for Tesla and its stock, long term, would be to bring on board someone who can take over daily management responsibilities in a (drum roll) responsible manner. All of Model X's issues can be directly traced back to Musk. The fact that Tesla still can't figure out how to make this car in volumes approaching the S is alarming at best.

Of course earnings are going to disappoint. When haven't they? Today's stock price is 100% related to the false hopes and expectations raised by Tesla's CEO only to downwardly revise some of those expectations later in the year. We call that eating crow. Yet he continues to repeat the pattern. He can't help himself. At the same time, the car's core software systems are stagnating while new competition is queuing up (Bolt).

Now Tesla is accelerating towards Model 3 production when it hasn't even figured out Model X production. Tesla is suing one of its former suppliers over failing to properly design the falcon wing doors. Sounds like sour grapes to me, passing the buck and blaming the vendor for what is just a poorly thought out design. But that's nothing new to Tesla. Elon demoted Jerome Guillen over poor performance in China, eventually leading to Guillen's leaving the company. Yet the decision to enter China in a spectacularly bad fashion was Musk's. Same with Hong Kong where hi pissed off an entire country full of Model S owners by not even bothering to follow the law in HK with regards to failing to obtain regulatory approval for Autopilot. At one point Musk called his own employees in China "morons" or something to that effect.

Amateur hour is over. We need a real leader to take over the day-to-day management duties from the engineer who has an obvious problem managing both priorities and expectations. Tesla lost George Blankenship, Jerome Guillen, and Deepak Ahuja. Judging by the state of Tesla's executive management page, it doesn't appear there is anyone left. Tesla is pissing off too many people, most of them owners, and I believe Tesla's downward spiral may have begun.
I have been wanting this too lately. I'm tired of the constant missteps with regard to timing and broken promises. I'm reading the Ashlee Vance book currently and I'm seeing that paypal wanted Musk out as CEO there too. Tesla needs a competent leader who understands the importance of timeliness and market trust. IMO Tesla shareholders would be better served with Elon in a capacity other than CEO. I don't agree that Tesla is in a downward spiral at all.

^^^^^^ True all of this
How can there not be an identifiable someone in charge of a major product rollout? clearly it's not EM traveling the world talking about everything except how they fixed the FWD's, and motorized 2nd row seats :redface:

wow... somebody is salty. I'm going to have to disagree with you on a couple of things.

1. FWD lawsuit - this wasn't the design per se. Tesla designed them and relied on a supplier to make a hydraulic lift that would work. The supplier did not deliver and is demanding full payment as if they did. This lawsuit is a non-issue for investors. It's just business and will probably be settled in arbitration.

2. Deepak - he is retiring he wasn't canned or anything like that. Even at the Shareholder meeting Elon thanked him personally. Jerome, who knows what happened. Again, non issue they have Jason wheeler now who is no slouch. George B. also retired

3. Hong Kong owners seemed to love Musk in his recent trip there. Not sure what's wrong here?

4. He didn't blatantly call his China employees morons, but there was definitely an issue there and the appropriate people were promoted and now china is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.