Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GM is now using OTA. One less moat for Tesla on the road to autonomous driving

I read up on the transcript linked in that reference and GM was vague about what kind of OTA updates it will allow. For all we know, it could only still be on the infotainment system. I think they would have to tread cautiously as to not annoy the dealers. Traditionally, it is in the dealership realm to install the fixes/firmware updates. Cutting the dealers out just strengthens the notion that dealers do not like selling EV's as they would not profit from servicing them.

Pam Fletcher

Yes over the air programming and so the Bolt EV, will have over the air software download capability.

Unidentified Analyst

Okay could you talk about the used cases in I think for the…

Pam Fletcher

No [Multiple Speakers] no but absolutely. So, let me go into kind of the next that what the next question would be and that is around cyber security and so we take that very seriously we were the first major automaker to establish a dedicated cyber security team. Our Chief Cyber Security Officer Jeff Massimilla, is the Vice-Chairman of the Auto ISAC Alliance along Cyber Security, so we take it very seriously and we really wanted to get we have got all necessary safeguards in place to do so that we would do over the air programming on safer and securely and so that will come out on the Bolt EV.

Sorry guys, I don't believe into the theory that somehow Tesla is very secretly making tons of progress.

For one, Tesla has been very open about progress on Model 3. See the Q3 shareholder letter.

Secondly, Tesla and Musk has everything to gain from showcasing progress and gaining credibility into the timeline. Especially in the context of the biggest bull on Wall Street dismissing 2017 deliveries and much of 2018.

Tesla has not been open about Model 3 at all - primarily for fear of osborning the S/X sales they need in order to finish funding the Model 3 launch. There were absolutely no leaks ahead of the reveal. The public knows about Model 3 exactly what Tesla wants the public to know about it and nothing more.

Showcasing progress might bolster the SP a bit, but why should Tesla care unless they need to raise capital? Better to keep it under wraps and execute unexpectedly.

Except that its a step change - one that's coming by the end of 2017. It will not be a slow ramp from 100k to 500k, it will be going from 25K/Q to 75-100k/Q overnight when the Model 3 production goes online, then a ramp to 125k+/Q as its tuned in.

How about using time to completion of the plan:

The original master plan was posted in 2006, 2 years before Roadster, and nearly 6 years before the volume release of Model S, and 9 years before Model X, and 10-11 years before Model 3. To say that the original Master Plan isn't nearly half done is just patently wrong.

Alright fine, I give up on that.

I personally would have preferred that Musk talked about a second plan once at least a few Model-3s are rolling off the line. Model-3 was supposed to be the end goal or the actual (only) goal of masterplan-1: accelerating the advent of sustainable transport. All the others were steps into accomplishing it.

Each of Musk's announcements of acceleration and/or more mega goals in-fact turned off the investor community. Look at the stock price. Look at the wall street analyst ratings. Look at the institutional selling.

Musk actually announced acceleration of Model-3 plans when investors/street still haven't seen Model-X production stabilization. What happened, the stock tanked on the news.

With all this show of aggression all investors are seeing is increased risks and increased cash burn. But on the other hand, in investors minds the rewards have a vague/elusive timeline.

I started investing into TSLA since 1Q 2013, before the big spike. I don't know how Model S production/timeline went. I trust people here that it went as announced. But, since I have been following Tesla, it has missed nearly (i'm just hedging, because I don't want to get into proving this, but I think it is 'all') every single publicly announced timeline, big and small. Like even a tiny thing like publishing a blog post to something big like AP rollout.

In any case, waiting over Model-3 just creates a very unnecessary disappointment setup. Come late 17, there will be post after post here expressing frustrations. What's the point?

/rant

I read up on the transcript linked in that reference and GM was vague about what kind of OTA updates it will allow. For all we know, it could only still be on the infotainment system. I think they would have to tread cautiously as to not annoy the dealers. Traditionally, it is in the dealership realm to install the fixes/firmware updates. Cutting the dealers out just strengthens the notion that dealers do not like selling EV's as they would not profit from servicing them.
I think that you're drawing some big conclusions with very flimsy reasons. If they have the capability to do it, they can use it as necessary or desired.

Here's another way to gain solid insight into M3 efforts--I believe we will have enough information to reasonably conclude if a 2017 launch is feasible by mid-Feb 2017, when the 10-K comes out.

Various milestones in each car's development is required to be reported in the 10-Q/10-K each quarter/year as they are achieved because these are goals tied to stock option vestings - Alpha, Beta and Production. Here's the timeline for Model X:

- 2014 Q3: Alpha X completed
- 2014 Q4: Beta X completed
- 2015 Q3: Production X completed, car launched
- 2016 Q2: Production hell completed, volume deliveries

Here's the timeline for Model 3:

- 2016 Q1: Alpha 3 completed
- ?: Beta 3 completed
- ??: Production 3 completed

Here's my litmus test - if we see a Model 3 beta completion in Q4 (reported in Feb 2017 10-K), regardless of the existence of prototypes in the wild, I'll conclude that a Q3 2017 launch is likely. If we see beta completion in 2017 Q1 (reported in May 2017 10-Q), an end of 2017 launch is likely. If beta completion isn't reported in the May 10-Q, it's probably late and in 2018.

I've repeatedly cautioned against using Model X as a comparator for Model 3, but I think that applies only to the production issues that plagued it from 2015 Q3 - 2016 Q2. The alpha - beta - production curve could look similar.

The X went from alpha to production in 4 quarters and from alpha to volume production in 7 quarters.

The 3 has been in alpha form since 2016 Q1. Add 7 quarters for volume production and you are at 2017 Q4. Now consider that the 3 is built for volume production, it's not overengineered, it's make-or-break and it's borrowing a bunch of tech from S/X.

I'll wait for the 10-K, but I'm predicting an October 2017 launch.

Thanks for the well thought out post.

In my mind though there are two distinct things. One is car being ready. The other is factory line being ready. Your timeline only covers the car part. Don't you think the production bots (even if not general assembly bots, but the production line bots) would have to be installed and ready for testing by a certain time for certain actual production timeline? Maybe we can track that as well?

I think that you're drawing some big conclusions with very flimsy reasons. If they have the capability to do it, they can use it as necessary or desired.
Oh and your conclusion is somehow more solid? Can you elaborate how you're confident GM can deliver a robust OTA in the same standard as Tesla? How do you think they will navigate around the politics to avoid infuriating their customers? And by customers, I mean the dealers, not the end buyer.

I personally would have preferred that Musk talked about a second plan once at least a few Model-3s are rolling off the line. Model-3 was supposed to be the end goal or the actual (only) goal of masterplan-1: accelerating the advent of sustainable transport. All the others were steps into accomplishing it.

I wouldn't. Tesla is an R+D-heavy growth company - accelerating the advent of sustainable transport is its mission statement. It is (quite successfully) doing that. Without Tesla, there is no Bolt or i3, and there might not even be a Volt or LEAF.

If Musk waited until Model 3 was rolling off the line to talk about what's next, what would his army of R+D employees be doing while production scaled up on their completed Model 3 design?

Each of Musk's announcements of acceleration and/or more mega goals in-fact turned off the investor community. Look at the stock price. Look at the wall street analyst ratings. Look at the institutional selling.

Musk actually announced acceleration of Model-3 plans when investors/street still haven't seen Model-X production stabilization. What happened, the stock tanked on the news.

With all this show of aggression all investors are seeing is increased risks and increased cash burn. But on the other hand, in investors minds the rewards have a vague/elusive timeline.

I agree - it DID turn off the investor community. The investor community is not interested in changing the world for the better. They're interested only in greenbacks. Lots of them. As soon as possible. The funny part is - risk is lower than ever for Tesla right now.

Tesla is built on a mission of changing the world, and while profit will surely come along the way, its not the primary goal. Wall St doesn't understand companies that operate this way.

I started investing into TSLA since 1Q 2013, before the big spike. I don't know how Model S production/timeline went. I trust people here that it went as announced. But, since I have been following Tesla, it has missed nearly (i'm just hedging, because I don't want to get into proving this, but I think it is 'all') every single publicly announced timeline, big and small. Like even a tiny thing like publishing a blog post to something big like AP rollout.

In any case, waiting over Model-3 just creates a very unnecessary disappointment setup. Come late 17, there will be post after post here expressing frustrations. What's the point?

/rant

I'll concede its possible that we don't see a Model 3 launch until 2018, but I really truly doubt it. I agree with you that they've missed many deadlines both big and small. I believe that Model 3 is different. All of the other deadlines are not nearly as important as the Model 3 deadline. Model 3 will quite literally make or break Tesla, and they know that failure is not an option. Others may disagree with me.

Investors routinely make the mistake of making assumptions about Tesla based on their past experience with other automakers, and their past experience with Tesla. Neither are valid for companies like Tesla. Assuming things about Tesla's present based on Tesla's past or the past of other automakers is a strategy fraught with error.

Don't you think the production bots (even if not general assembly bots, but the production line bots) would have to be installed
and ready for testing by a certain time for certain actual production timeline? Maybe we can track that as well?

How many bots? We don't have any idea how many are needed for minimal production run.
What if production starts with original S line? Impossible? Or the newer S/X line?
What is certain is that the 500k annual production will need a new production line and hence new bots.
But this is not on a critical path to 2017 production start.

In summary, what I believe the street wants to see, and what I believe Musk will actually show, is a prudent business model. Rushing Model-3 to the exits will be less of a priority to actually getting there profitably, safely, and if possible without having to come to the market for additional cash.

Well, that is my speculation/hope anyway.

Reactions: KLC13
Thanks for the well thought out post.

In my mind though there are two distinct things. One is car being ready. The other is factory line being ready. Your timeline only covers the car part. Don't you think the production bots (even if not general assembly bots, but the production line bots) would have to be installed and ready for testing by a certain time for certain actual production timeline? Maybe we can track that as well?
There are bits of information in the quarterly shareholder letters about the factory line updates. The most recent one being equipment of critical lead time have been sourced. Don't know if those have arrived or not.

As stated before, EM is not overly concerned with what the market wants. He is concerned with his goals. He has almost completed his MP1 -- from his point of view all that is left is the implementation. All the interesting bits are mostly done: car design, line design, battery design, SC plan. Hence he has moved onto MP2.

However, he is concerned with having the resources to complete MP1 and being able to proceed to MP2. To this end Tesla needs money, and to this extent SP may matter. However, he has stated that the Model 3 runup will be self sustaining +/- a small amount. I suspect the uncertainty is around the TE ramp. As such, SP is not a concern, since he does not foresee the need to go to the market for a capital raise.

Estimating timelines is always difficult. All projects (and certainly software projects) are well-known to miss all deadlines. EM has repeatedly said that estimating an exponential beginnings to a S curve ramp is particularly difficult. However, my take from the filings and teleconferences is that they remain confident that they are on track. The robot supplier has confirmed that, although it would be challenging, they felt they could deliver.

Reactions: GoTslaGo

/rant

So, um...you were just making sugar up in your post that Elon was doing all that stuff to prop up the SP because you're actually mad he's consistently done things that depress the SP AND he's quite specifically SAID on multiple occasions he doesn't care about the SP short term and that's messed up your investment thesis.

Waiting on the Model 3 creates are unnecessary disappointment setup? Are you for real? Tesla ACCELERATED the Model 3 time line by a lot.

I don't actually believe anything that Elon or Tesla does will ever satisfy you because it's a) not what you would do, and b) it's not putting as much money in your pocket at a quick enough rate for you.

/rant

Once again youre claiming to know things you can't possibly know. You have no idea what the "market" thinks of Tesla or TSLA. That is unless of course you personally interviewed every person or entity that held a long or short position in either shares or options. If that is the case I stand corrected and apologize.

There are bits of information in the quarterly shareholder letters about the factory line updates. The most recent one being equipment of critical lead time have been sourced. Don't know if those have arrived or not.

In Q3 shareholder letter there was also wording about completion of the production line layouts, including body welding and final assembly lines. This means that these lines were fully designed, required factory floor space allocated, robots were selected and ordered, and all auxiliary utilities (power, etc.) were designed and corresponding equipment sized and ordered as well. I would guess that installation of body welding and final assembly lines either already started or is imminent.

"For Model 3, we have completed production line layouts and will soon begin installation of new body welding and final assembly lines."

And it shows in the SP action. Anybody still sceptic about shorts strategy pushing the SP down by dumping large lots of shares on the market in very short time and then slowly cover can see a perfect example (again) today.

I can not find any negative news, opposite actually, and Nasdaq up. This was a planned action to try to push SP below 200.

Wonder if folks are hoping to spin the "charging for Not charging" issue as a negative. As an investor I take this as a positive. Tesla is trying to get ahead of future problems and develop solutions prior to the Model 3.

The Model S and X both had very rough starts getting off the ground but I think the Model 3 will be different and here is why. There is a Lack of NEW with the Model 3, everything has been done before by Tesla.

With the Model S they were bootstrapping an entire factory, the car was not designed for mass production and the processes were not optimized. The Model X had supplier issues, was over engineered (doors) ran into new requirements (towing) etc.. etc.

The Model 3 literally has nothing new that won't be in the S/X first.

1) All of the self driving stuff is currently in production vehicles.

2) The drivetrain motors will likely be the smaller size that's used in the front of the 90D.

3) Battery packs. Duh.

4) Body, nothing special. (no falcon doors, no self presenting doorhandles, nothing like that)

5) Interior, very plain.

6) Computers, mostly using software that's already written.

Status
Not open for further replies.