Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, that's something I've been thinking of these last days. I would not be surprised if Tesla somehow surprises the world and delivers the first M3 vehicle earlier than expected, say in Q3 2017. No one is expecting this, not even in anyone's wildest dreams.

The main reasons would be because the M3 is probably much easier to produce and vol. produce than S and X but secondly Tesla might (unexpectedly) find themselves tapping into big piles of additional cash seeing the demand and speed up their own internal goals. Imagine Wall St. reaction if this were to happen.

I'm not trying to start any rumors or anything, just thinking out loud. And you heard it here first. ;)

Good minds think alike, like you, me, Chickenlittle, and perhaps, others.

Giga factory opening soon also means model 3 will be in production earlier. I know it's tesla but they have more resources now than any prior time to devote to model 3. Just as no sense for giga to be late no sense to have giga ready early to production of model 3. Musk had already said earlier no new surprise features like falcon doors so no new engineering challenges either

Could we actually see Model 3 production start before Q4 of 2017? With the Gigafactory ahead of schedule and a clear deck after the X ramp, why not? Elon keeps repeating late 2017 for initial production, so we know that timeline appears doable. In order for Tesla to have a time margin for uncertainties, we will likely not know of an earlier production launch, should there be one, until we are almost there.

Reactions: Intl Professor
I agree that it is not impossible that we will all be surprised and will see the model-3 production earlier.

We have seen news that a paint shop capable of 500k / year is already installed. Not long ago news leaked that also stamping capability for 500k / year is already in place. Why invest in such a big upgrade this early ? A bit strange to already spend the money this early while Tesla still has no positive cashflow.

Maybe that was simply the only option available, and a stepped upgrade was not possible. If not, than it COULD mean they were already preparing for some surprise in case reservations were high.

Also the fact that GM has beaten him by bringing a 200 miles BEV to the market first might have "annoyed" Elon and motivated him to speed investements in Model-3 production up.

Did he really just say that?

Not Photoshop, not a hacked Twitter account tweet?

OK so that is the explanation of inviting employees and existing customers to go first starting sometime basically around about now.

Note that just approximately fleet doubling every year would bring model S and model X combined US sales close to 200,000 units by the end of 2017 leaving no large numbers of anything to put in a model 3 ramp starting then and not now.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Tonight Elon will update the reservation number again. It will be around 280,000, and keeps going up. Congratulations to those who reserved early. As I said, those who didn't reserve on day 1 will regret. They should reserve quickly, then ask questions.
Elon said by end of Saturday the number was at 276,000. I was off by 1.5%. I know everyone got pretty close on this number.
My prediction for first 24-hour "150~200k" was also close.
I will see how accurate is my other number - "above one million by year end". If Tesla didn't limit to 2 cars per person, we would have already passed the one million mark. If the goal is to make the most profit, Tesla should close the reservation at some point, use the rest of production to do the car sharing program.
We should pass 300,000 on Monday. Elon said will only update on Wednesday (the first week data). I doubt he can resist if the Monday number is very good. Those who don't reserve will regret.

I don't think we'll see the first model 3 produced earlier.

Have you read The Mythical Man Month? There are things you *cannot speed up* -- development decisions, debugging, etc. I think the first Model 3 will come out exactly when they say it's going to, in late 2017. It's very important for them to release a *debugged* car.

The big change in plan is in the next stage *after* that. Once you've got the bugs corrected, as an engineer here said, there's no reason not to run the factory up to top speed immediately.

The old plan was to ramp up to 500,000 cars a year by 2020.
I think the new plan will be to open four Model 3 factories simultaneously, all going full blast, and produce 2 million cars a year by 2019. Probably 1.5 million in 2018, since construction delays will probably prevent the next three factories from getting to full speed until Q2 of 2018. I may be underestimating demand -- they may need to open six factories at once.

There are ways in which this simplifies the parts supply chain. The Euro factory only needs to produce Euro spec cars, the North American factory only needs to produce American spec cars. All the RHD cars can be produced at a single factory.

Last edited:
Is Elon implying that they would hold US deliveries at 199k so that they hit 200k in the beginning of a quarter and then have that full quarter and the next full quarter for the $7,500 tax credit, and 4 more quarters of 50% or 25%? I know we've speculated about this. I hope they are able to work out the international batching to make this happen.

SPNtmKj.png

Is Elon implying that they would hold US deliveries at 199k so that they hit 200k in the beginning of a quarter and then have that full quarter and the next full quarter for the $7,500 tax credit, and 4 more quarters of 50% or 25%? I know we've speculated about this. I hope they are able to work out the international batching to make this happen.

As noted above, demand is now so high that international batching may not be so much of an issue. We'll see how much reservations slow down, but if they have 500K in *US* orders before the car starts being manufactured, I fully expect Tesla to build a European factory and produce all the European cars there.

SPNtmKj.png

Awesome! That's the implication, yes. I hope they don't run into any loopholes because they forgot to count some Roadsters or Mules or development cars or something. They should get it in writing from the feds and give a little buffer room for oopses ...

While I'm not generally in support of tax subsidies, a lot of the ICE market chain has had lots of subsidies, and they still get their subsidies for this tax credit that Tesla has been using if they ever get around to producing enough EV's to cash in on it, so Tesla's deft use of the subsidy to maximize their market entry would be a great idea. Hopefully after Tesla and the other manufacturers get good at producing EV's in large numbers, the subsidies can finally go away, and everyone can compete on an even playing field with ICE. I think customers will like electric more than ICE before 5 years from now, generally speaking. Of course there will be rude boys who have their unmuffled ICE raised pick up trucks. But on average I think most people will prefer electric.

Status
Not open for further replies.