Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, that makes it almost official. They will ship earlier even if it means speeding up GF buildout and thus spending more monez in 2016 than intended. There is a Bolt crying over this somewhere in a GM storage facility...

Oooh .... perhaps I could be smart enough to "buy low" this time when the bears complain about all that capital expenditure! :D I hope they release the "we will spend ourselves into the ground" report on a well-known date so we can all sell before that and then let the bears have a field day ... and then get back in. Lots of variables there.

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but if they were to really try to squeeze out every last penny (for their customers) by "gaming" the federal tax credit rules with a controlled delivery ramp and quarterly batching, as may be implied, I'm not sure that's a great move PR wise. Elon has always said Tesla is going to make it, with or without the credit. There are going to be people lining up to buy the car with or without the credit. There are going to be a lot of critisism if they bluntly game the system.

Reactions: AlMc
I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but if they were to really try to squeeze out every last penny (for their customers) by "gaming" the federal tax credit rules with a controlled delivery ramp and quarterly batching, as may be implied, I'm not sure that's a great move PR wise. Elon has always said Tesla is going to make it, with or without the credit. There are going to be people lining up to buy the car with or without the credit. There are going to be a lot of critisism if they bluntly game the system.

There'll be criticism from their customers if they don't try to maximize the credit. Might as well anger the people who are going to be critical anyway rather than the people who are keeping your company in business. They already have a history of maximizing shipments to Denmark and other places to try to maximize tax credits.

Over 250,000 reservations is great, but in the end, it will come down to profit margins. If they only make $1,000 profit per car, they are in trouble. If they make $10,000 per car, the stock and the value of the company takes off to Mars.
In trouble meaning that EM, JB, Wheeler etc. have all completely lost their minds and imbeciles are currently in charge of Tesla?

In Defense of Releasing M3 Numbers

Prior to the reveal, I expressed my not-so-crazy-after-all hope that Tesla would display a cumulative counter of Model 3 deposits at the reveal. Bravo for their decision to do this. I believe that Tesla was motivated to do so for two reasons:
* This shock-and-awe approach would speed up the move to sustainable electric vehicle transport and
* TSLA stock would be positively affected. Tesla needs the stock to rise because they will likely do a capital raise this year

Think back to the 4Q15 ER on Feb 10, 2016, when Musk felt a need to reassure shareholders that Tesla had a solid plan for 2016. The bears were claiming that with the macro environment in the dumps, TSLA could not raise needed capital and it needed to raise capital because it was burning through cash too quickly. Musk and Wheeler showed that cash-flow from operations had turned the corner already and was positive, there was less CapEx planned for 2016 than in 2015, and Tesla would generate enough cash internally so that it didn't need a capital raise this year. They also showed plans for a huge increase in vehicle deliveries during 2016. Check out the chart below. That ER marked the turnaround point where TSLA's plunge to below 150 did an abrupt reversal and has been nipping at 240 lately. The Q1 ER carried the day.

feb10.jpg

These reassuring comments came with a price, though. They somewhat committed Tesla to a self-funding approach during 2016. When Tesla realized that Model 3 reservations would be at Hogfighter-epic numbers, they had to start paving the way for a reversal on the self-funding statement, because more cash would be needed for a large increase in production capabilities. Remember Elon's tweet when the CNBC poll of 12,000 showed high interest in Model 3? He was only half-joking when he hinted at the need to rethink production plans. The reservation numbers for Model 3 turned out to be both the reason for abandoning the self-funding in 2016 strategy as well as a reasonable explanation for abandoning the approach. Nothing will, of course, be mentioned that the capital-raising mood of the markets were in disarray on Feb 10 but have since recovered nicely. Sharing the Model 3 reservation numbers is the necessary step for reversing the self-funding statement of Feb 10.

Since the last capital raise took place at about a stock price of 240, the next raise should take place at a price noticeably above $240, but the shorts have been dead-set on keeping TSLA below 240. Notice how TSLA has twice now closed at about 237.50. I believe the shorts had quite a sell-the-news event planned for April 1, but it was thwarted by releasing the Model 3 reservations numbers. Instead of a downtrend, we saw an uptrend on Friday. They've dug their trenches just south of 240 and if we breach their lines for more than a day you are going to see shorts abandoning their posts and as the retreat escalates, more and more shorts will join them. The stage is set for nice appreciation in TSLA value if the Q1 delivery numbers turn out to be okay. Releasing the Model 3 deposit numbers is the artillery which will allow TSLA to overrun the 240 trenches manned by the shorts and press onward. It will allow TSLA to climb in value, which will enable a new capital raise, which will enable Tesla to deliver such a slew of Model 3s not long after we hit 200,000 U.S. deliveries that a large number of non-Tesla owners will enjoy at least a large federal tax credit (50% of $7500 or above), due to the time-based drawdown methodology of the credit. The year 2016 should be a great year for TSLA longs, but I now believe 2018 will be amazing too, because that's the year when Model 3 deliveries will go nuts.

Last edited:
OK, what's going on with the tax credit is this. When Tesla hits 200K cars delivered in the US, the full tax credit is received for cars delivered *that quarter* and *the next quarter*, no matter how many are produced. The next two quarters, buyers get a tax credit worth half as much. The two quarters after that, buyers get a tax credit worth a quarter as much.

So, hypothetical for explanation: suppose Tesla has a Fremont factory, a Gary Indiana factory, and a Buffalo NY factory, each capable of producing 500K cars per year, all devoted to the US market -- Euro cars are produced at another factory, Asian cars at yet another factory. Suppose they release a fairly small number of cars in late 2017, while they're working the bugs out of the production line -- just like with Model X -- and get close to the 200K limit but do not exceed it. Then suppose the ramp up is *MASSIVE* and they get up to full speed immediately in Q1 of 2018. They sell 750K cars in the US during Q1 and Q2 of 2018 and *all* of those cars get the tax credit. During Q3 and Q4, another 750K cars get the halved tax credit.

This is obviously what Tesla wants to do, if demand is sufficient.

(P.S. I do not think this will be perceived as "gaming the system"!)

Honestly, any "competitor" who hasn't already refocused the whole company into BEV is likely to already be a dead company walking. They have a very short timeframe to refocuse to BEVs now. It's still *possible*, but I expect a wave of bankruptcies instead. Competitors who are focused on BEVs and doing a bad job at it have a lot more of a chance than the guys who still think that ICE will rule forever.

Correct, and I think low gas prices have been wonderful for Tesla. All the "experts" thought that there would be low demand for Tesla EVs with low gas prices, and they were dead wrong. ICE companies have had an increase in their SUV and truck sales because of the low gas prices, and probably got cocky that their ICE vehicles were safe for a while. They probably scaled back their investments in EV technology, thinking that low gas prices were going to bring the end of EVs. This has given Tesla an even bigger lead. I think if gas had gone to $5/gallon, other automakers would be further along with EV development. Instead, they are now more screwed than ever.

Just one last thing about the tax credit: it's not in the constitution - it's just a political decision that can be changed or overturned easily, for any number of reasons. If Tesla were to set themselves up for a sub 200k delivery quarter followed by two massive quarters I believe the risk is pretty high that the federal government will change the conditions of the credit, saying that was never "in the spirit of the regulation" or some such thing.

I agree with Johan. I am not sure it is a good PR move to 'game the system' even if our 'friends'....the oil companies and ICE manufacturers have been beneficiaries of subsidies and bail outs in the past.

Interesting tweet from Musk: "Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship." I imagine that this means a very fancy HUD...could drive demand even higher. I imagine that they would add it to S and X too.

Good call, Tentonine. The heads up display would explain the lack of gauges for speed, etc.in front of the driver. Making the driver look way off to the right side to see critical info makes no sense. I'm with you on this.

For those of you who don't know what a heads-up display is, it was introduced on airplanes in an attempt to display critical information on a transparent panel in the pilot's line-of-sight between his eyes and the direction the airplane is traveling. On an instrument approach, the pilot could be monitoring the approach while simultaneously looking for the runway behind the display. A heads-up display would have similar benefits for drivers, because you wouldn't have to allow your eyes to leave the road to view speed and critical information, thus making driving safer (and much cooler).

Just one last thing about the tax credit: it's not in the constitution - it's just a political decision that can be changed or overturned easily, for any number of reasons. If Tesla were to set themselves up for a sub 200k delivery quarter followed by two massive quarters I believe the risk is pretty high that the federal government will change the conditions of the credit, saying that was never "in the spirit of the regulation" or some such thing.
(A) The government would never manage to react that quickly.
(B) Tesla would argue: this actually WAS in the spirit of the regulation. The regulation was supposed to encourage car makers to scale up from "startup level" production of electric cars to serious mass production, and Tesla was doing so.

Interesting tweet from Musk: "Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship." I imagine that this means a very fancy HUD...could drive demand even higher. I imagine that they would add it to S and X too.

:eek:

"You had my curiosity but now you have my attention"

This thing was suppose to be "less complicated" though.

Last edited:
Now Musk says that the current steering wheel is not the real steering "system", so maybe there is no conventional wheel in the final car? I'm not sure what the alternative is, unless it involves a much higher degree of always-on autonomy.

I'm excited for the next couple of weeks. I think it is pretty obvious that Tesla is trying to pump the stock price for another offering. Either a secondary public offering or some kind of bond market/loans. Probably also trying to make all suppliers scale their production as well. Maybe finally we will see Panasonic committing to the Gigafactory in a more substantial way.

I think there is one really important tweet that we missed in this thread (or maybe I just missed it).

@elonmusk scale model 3?

@squallcraft and a few other things

Isn't this a pretty huge hint that they are also scaling other things, i.e. battery production?

This one is also pretty interesting. Guess somebody has mentioned it already. I think they are going for a car that is 100 % symmetric what comes to right/left-hand side driving. This is going to simplify production quite a bit. Pretty obvious that they are building a car that is primarily made for autonomous driving as well.

@HBL_Cosmin Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship.

Oh, and, is it just me or does it look like the panorama roof consist of two identical glass parts? If that is the case this car is really a masterwork of design for production simplicity.

Btw, is there a way to embed tweets on this forum? Couldn't figure it out

Reactions: sundaymorning
I think there is one really important tweet that we missed in this thread (or maybe I just missed it).

@elonmusk scale model 3?

@squallcraft and a few other things

It's worth pointing out that the first Tweet was apparently in response to Musk's Tweet: "Token of appreciation for those who lined up coming via mail. Thought maybe 20-30 people per store would line up, not 800. Gifts on order."

So I think "scale model 3" means a small model of Model 3....

Tesla (TSLA) Should Have No Problem Handling High Model 3 Production Demand - Analyst
While Tesla (Nasdaq: TSLA) CEO Elon Musk continues to report skyrocketing pre-order numbers for the Model 3, Global Equities isn't worried about the automaker keeping pace.

Analyst Trip Chowdhry said today that the Model 3 is designed with "Production First" mindset, which is "a very different mindset from that of Model X." The analyst also noted the following points:

More than 60% of Tesla Model 3 body is made of Steel, the remaining some plastic polymer and Aluminum - this makes manufacturing very simple and straight forward
Model 3 Roof is made of Complete Glass - this takes 1/10th the effort, with 1/100 of potential defects when compared to metallic roof - which makes production easy and fast
Tesla Model 3 Body is made of self contained modules (Manufactured at TSLA Lathrop Facility) - this makes assembly extremely simple and fast
Model 3 needs 1/3rd of the suppliers that Model S needed - Model 3 supply chain is 3x more efficient and simple vs. Model S - Hence supplier complexity is reduced by a factor of 3
Hence, delivering first Tesla Model 3 by 4Q'2017 is easily achievable

Global Equities rates Tesla at Overweight with a price target of $385
Tesla's (TSLA) New, Cheaper Model 3 May Be Better than the Model S - Analyst
Morgan Stanley's Tesla Motors (NASDAQ: TSLA) analyst Adam Jonas asks "Is the Model 3 Better than the S?" He thinks it is

Jonas has 4 key thoughts following the Model 3 event:

1. Based on the limited information disclosed at last night's unveiling, we think this car is probably much better than the Model S. Certainly the higher-performance versions can be faster, offer more dynamic performance, more driving pleasure. We suspect this is a reason why management didn't share too many details on specs besides headline numbers (0 to 60 in under 6 seconds, 215 mile EPA range) because too much excitement around this model could potentially cannibalize the Model S in a significant way. Maybe that's a high quality problem, but one they'd rather not exacerbate.

2. The projected growth of the supercharger and dealer network is very telling (guess why?)...

3. Could this be the fastest growing customer order book in the history of autos? Savvy marketing ahead of the unveiling has flooded the internet with videos of long customer lines snaking around the blocks of Tesla stores across the country, creating a festive sense of the occasion and a sense of scarcity. Granted, it's only a fully refundable thousand dollar deposit but to achieve well over 100k preliminary orders for any car in the first 24 hours even with no deposit is an admirable achievement (we understand the reservation total approached 140k units towards the end of the unveil event). We are not aware of any precedent of this level of order interest for any other car on the first day of an unveil. And the orders kept coming throughout the evening of test drives. How many days will it take for the order book to cross 200k units? 300k units? For perspective, our 2020 forecast for the company's total completed unit delivery total (Model S, X and 3) is just under 249k units or less than 1/2 Tesla's own targets.

4. The implications of successful momentum in the order book go beyond adding some sense of visibility for forward demand. We believe the milestone may mark an important pivot in investor sentiment which has been rather negative around the company for the past few quarters. This turn can be accelerated if accompanied by the first early authorized magazine reviews of the Model X which we expect may be published very soon. Such events may seem trivial to the shares of a company with over a $30bn market cap. But it may not be, particularly if consumer excitement spreads to the providers of capital which the company has relied upon to help absorb heavy up-front financial losses and to fulfill its product and business model ambitions over the years.

Jonas said if Tesla can produce and deliver (even roughly on time) the car they unveiled last night at close to a $35k price, then this stock is probably quite undervalued. He reiterated his Overweight rating and price target of $333.

Status
Not open for further replies.