Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Except of course they have built and are delivering on, basically, the best car on the planet (model S), the best charging infrastructure on the planet, the best semi-autonomous vehicle technology on the planet. All far, far, far ahead of any other vehicle being shipped by any other manufacturer on the planet.

This is why the stock is not at 10.

• Funny
Reactions: flankspeed8
IMO, EM mishandled it badly this time. Share value is not built on top of always asking shareholders for money to finance future growth without making the business itself generating cash flows. Also, if you have decided to raise capital, do it at the time announcing it. Even worse, when an analyst asked how much capital they need for M3, Jason answered that they don't have it, unbelievable!

Reactions: austinEV
Could you educate me what's the "first principles"? "blind faith" is the exact investment philosophy for TSLA fanboys.

Btw, I bottom fishing order just executed @ 207.9. Will add more shares if go south of 200.

I know Musk wants us to not look at X ramp and he want's to look at things in a "first principles" manner. That is BS. They are not willing to share the most basic info like what kWH model 3 will need or how many GWHs gigafactory will produce when. So how can market determine anything based on "first principles". In reality what Musk/JB are asking for is "blind faith".

IMO, EM mishandled it badly this time. Share value is not built on top of always asking shareholders for money to finance future growth without making the business itself generating cash flows. Also, if you have decided to raise capital, do it at the time announcing it. Even worse, when an analyst asked how much capital they need for M3, Jason answered that they don't have it, unbelievable!

He didn't say that. If the original plans were kept, they absolutely could finance everything themselves. The fact that you are pulling something two years forward of that scale will require more capital with hopes that internally generated cash flows can finance the entire expansion. It's a question of cushion and de-risking the business. Listen to the call more carefully.

As an investor I'd much rather have revenue pulled forward. A lot of analysts are now erring on the side of caution due to the rather ambitious goal and they haven't updated their price input to stay conservative. But let's say even a 300K production is achieved in 2018, all the latter years in the DCF used in their equity research will need to be revalued to a spectacularly high number.

A capital raise is fine so long as the cash is being used efficiency to generate more returns and faster. So it becomes a question of magnitude and velocity. It's not like Tesla is pissing away cash.

Reactions: MitchJi
That's good wish from TSLA investors though. It's not always the case. How do you think the cash efficiency spent on endless model X delay and ramp up?

A capital raise is fine so long as the cash is being used efficiency to generate more returns and faster. So it becomes a question of magnitude and velocity. It's not like Tesla is pissing away cash.

Last edited:
I'm afraid capital raise does not alleviate fears that Tesla may not be able to build the number of cars it wants to build or anywhere close. The problem right now is that Market is seeing guaranteed acceleration in costs. But not acceleration in revenues (or profits). If lets say that hypothetically GF 1 - Phase 1 is complete (it is more of a beta really) and if X/S were pumping out in desired volumes, then market may have a bit more credibility in accelerated revenues.

I know Musk wants us to not look at X ramp and he want's to look at things in a "first principles" manner. That is BS. They are not willing to share the most basic info like what kWH model 3 will need or how many GWHs gigafactory will produce when. So how can market determine anything based on "first principles". In reality what Musk/JB are asking for is "blind faith".

Personally I have no problem showing blind faith with shares. Eventually the shares will pay off, hopefully very handsomely. Who cares if 'eventually' is off by a few years. But if folks here are looking at LEAPs to capture model 3 gains. Be careful. Actually, be very careful.

To rephrase, I believe evidence of Model X ramp gaining strength and further out GF phase-1 completion and successful cell production will be far better catalysts than a capital raise in my opinion.

Rightly or wrongly people tie Tesla's production capabilities with X ramp.

As far as I can tell, X ramp is still very much stuck. Follow this thread for related discussion and please add any findings.

Highest VIN delivered

Had it been a nominal X ramp and this GM was 20%, on 7,000 units, it would've added $183M to cash flow. That would have cut the $466M in negative FCF down, but still not close to breakeven.

I agree up to this sentence. This is where I think you make a mistake (I disagree with $183M). Another 5600 Model X units would have added over $500M ($547M if your pricing holds) of revenue, and this would have cost Tesla only material, as labor was already paid.

How much steel and aluminum for Model X costs? I'd bet less than 50%, maybe as low as 25%-30%, in which case there is a missed opportunity to contribute $350M to the bottom line right there.

I think the drop will stop at 205 today. Let's see.

That is indeed possible. $205.195 would mark a 50% retracement of the rise from the intraday low of $141.05 on February 9th to the high of $269.34 on April 7th. Such a retracement is often a setup for strong a return to the upside. It need not be exact. Today’s low of $206.80 could well have been sufficient.

He didn't say that. If the original plans were kept, they absolutely could finance everything themselves. The fact that you are pulling something two years forward of that scale will require more capital with hopes that internally generated cash flows can finance the entire expansion. It's a question of cushion and de-risking the business. Listen to the call more carefully.

As an investor I'd much rather have revenue pulled forward. A lot of analysts are now erring on the side of caution due to the rather ambitious goal and they haven't updated their price input to stay conservative. But let's say even a 300K production is achieved in 2018, all the latter years in the DCF used in their equity research will need to be revalued to a spectacularly high number.

It's EM's credit score that failed to win analysts' support here. He keeps telling people fantasy numbers, while in the end those won't materialize. Model X production/deliveries are the latest example, no one seems believing him nowadays, even the bulls like Morgan Stanley Morgan Stanley Estimates Tesla (TSLA) 2018 Units to be 1/5th of Guidance.

I have been a share holder for a long time (3yrs), but get really frustrated by Musk's no accountability and do-no-matter-how-much-it-costs style.

It's EM's credit score that failed to win analysts' support here. He keeps telling people fantasy numbers, while in the end those won't materialize. Model X production/deliveries are the latest example, no one seems believing him nowadays, even the bulls like Morgan Stanley Morgan Stanley Estimates Tesla (TSLA) 2018 Units to be 1/5th of Guidance.

I have been a share holder for a long time (3yrs), but get really frustrated by Musk's do-no-matter-how-much-it-costs style.

People shouldn't really keep calling Jonas a bull if he's only expecting 20% of what the company is guiding for.

• Funny
Reactions: WarpedOne

I have been a share holder for a long time (3yrs), but get really frustrated by Musk's do-no-matter-how-much-it-costs style.

This is simply non-factual. Tesla has achieved very much on a very limited budget. Musk's style is anything else than what you're describing. Get it done no matter if others think it possible, yes. No matter how much it costs, no. He's doing this basically with other people's money, so thankfully it doesn't matter that many people loudly scream: it can't be done, so long as enough people see that of course it can be done. Only those people don't scream, they simply put their money where their mouth is. And watch the money grow like weeds.

Last edited:
Reactions: WarpedOne

I have been a share holder for a long time (3yrs), but get really frustrated by Musk's no accountability and do-no-matter-how-much-it-costs style.

That short article is completely inaccurate! Says their MS projection is 70K cars in 2018. Wrong.... That's the Morgan Stanley est for THIS year.

All of the above can be explained by just having a better battery chemistry. Some of the claims are of battery chemistry that have 6x 10x better power density. Let me conjecture that Tesla has worked out how to get just 2x battery performance improvement and possibly lower internal resistance (less heat generated), faster charging.

First, you mean energy density, not power density, and 6-10 times better than what they are using now would mean 1560-2600Wh/kg which isn't remotely likely since the S/X90 is probably 260Wh/kg or so at the cell level. Second, faster charging has nothing to do with gigafactory production capacity or costs. Third, any improvement in regen is going to be minimal and have minimal impact, and again, has nothing to do with GF production. Fourth, no, it's not likely that Tesla currently has or will have by next year double the energy density of what they are using now.

I think Mr Musk has some new battery sauce.

He does, it's the constantly improving cell chemistry they have today. They don't need a miracle jump in battery chemistry to meet their goals, they never did.

Status
Not open for further replies.