Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shorting Oil, Hedging Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forgive me if this thought has already been thoroughly discussed, but it seems like a period of very cheap oil will have consequences for the political stability of petro-states that may drive a feedback loop that pushes prices back up after not too long. I don't have a sophisticated understanding of this, but it's my impression that oil revenues in many of these states support the generous social services that could be cynically described as paying your people not to riot. We've seen a number of examples in the past 10 years of what happens to production in petro-states that experience severe unrest, from Venezuela, to Lybia and Syria. Civil conflict shutters production, and in ensuing power struggles oil infrastructure assets are a prize to be fought over. Those assets may be damaged during the conflict, and may even be intentionally destroyed as a last resort by whoever is about to lose. If things play out like that, the loss isn't temporary either, because who's going to invest in rebuilding that infrastructure in the chaos and instability that follows conflict? Especially when the near- to medium-term demand outlook already makes such investments shaky.

In that scenario, prices could shoot back up again, or at least become extremely volatile. It seems to me like that such uncertainty could accelerate demand for more reliable energy sources.

It seems like Saudi Arabia needs prices in excess of $80 a barrel to balance their budget (IMF: Saudi Arabia Needs $80-85 Oil Price To Balance 2019 Budget | OilPrice.com). I wonder how much that budget can be cut or how long they can absorb low prices before reductions in social services begin to cause unrest with some probability of spiraling out of control. Similar speculation seems warranted for states like Russia.

Anyhow, just a thought that crossed my mind. I imagine most of you have long since mulled it over.

Lybia: As conflict flares once more, what's at stake for Libya's oil? - Reuters
Syria, look at the drop-off in production in 2011: Syria Crude Oil Production | 2019 | Data | Chart | Calendar | Forecast

Yes, there are very real human consequences of what transpires in the oil markets. Venezuela is a huge case in point of the dangers of a political system that is tied to oil wealth and what happens when this falls apart. Venezuela was a victim of the last oil glut, and it has still not recovered, even though the price of oil has recovered. Political corruption is rampant where there is enormous mineral wealth, so things get very ugly when that wealth is threatened.

So these issues are part of why I would prefer OPEC to pursue a drill at will approach. The premium on oil is a huge motive for political corruption and makes oil exporting countries dependent on that oil revenue. Indeed, the economic dependency on oil prices is a big part of what transforms oil wealth into real political power, while corruption holds this power in place. So first off let's get rid of the premium in oil price (through competitive market price discovery) so that these oil price dependent countries can have a more diverse economy and more representative governments. And then second, competitive market price discovery should be the best means to avoid boom/bust cycles. It's not perfect, but persistent price distortions only make the severity of these cycles worse. The severity of a market collapse is really what is most devastating to the people living in impacted countries. Simply put the more severe the market collapse, the more severe the impoverishment, starvation, displacement of peoples and death toll from armed conflict will be. So, in my thinking, I want to see that the potential for catastrophic market collapse to be defused as much as possible. The key thing is to avoid overinvestment in oil supply. The oil glut in 2014 was just a wake up call.

Makes sense. I really like your points regarding the relationship between the premium on oil price and political corruption, and how eliminating that premium may naturally foster healthier economies and systems of government in oil-dependent countries.

I recently read a book called Lifeblood (link at bottom) which discusses the history of oil, and particularly how it is intertwined with the political history of the 20th century. If folks here haven't read it they may enjoy it, or at least parts of it. At the beginning, the author presents an argument for how the early days of free-market, competitive oil extraction by wildcat drillers led inevitably to a cartel-system for governing oil markets in order to avoid wild swings in price and supply. Such volatility wasn't really tolerable, he argues, in the commodity that was quickly becoming foundational to global economic activity. I don't recall all the details, but I think it started with inter-state agreements to impose extraction quotas, and then evolved into the global system we see today.

That argument seems to contrast with your suggestion that price discovery via competitive markets is a viable alternative to the status quo for a commodity that is relied on for nearly every aspect of economic activity. I find both ideas compelling though, and I suspect the fact that renewable energy and battery storage technology are starting to offer the first really competitive alternatives to oil in 100 years may tilt things in favor of your argument.

Book link: Lifeblood

Climate goals could sink oil demand from mid 2020s, large asset manager says - Reuters

This looks like some responsible analysis from an insurance company.
Legal and General Investment Management (LGIM), which manages assets worth 1 trillion pounds ($1.3 trillion) worldwide, said oil demand could start to decline from 2025 if countries impose strict policies to curb climate change.
This is good way to frame the essence of peak oil demand. If the people and politics of the world demand a sane response to climate change, oil consumption can peak by 2025.

But it goes much further.
The impact of moves to ensure the global rise in temperature remains below 2 degrees could be such that by the early 2040s oil demand would have dropped by around 40 percent from current levels to below 60 million barrels a day, LGIM said in a report published on Thursday.

This is the first time I've seen the 2 degree scenario spelled out so clearly in its implication to long-term oil demand.

Two-degree scenario ==>> oil drops below 60 mb/d by 2040

This cuts through the BS of oil industry projecting oil demand growth well into the 2030s. If that happens, we can all roast in hell (on earth). Of course, they want to normalize the idea that oil demand will be north of 100 mb/d as late as 2040. But what if we all started think about oil at 60 mb/d in 2040?

What could 60 mb/d oil look like 25 years from now look like? Lets segment current oil consumption into three bucks: 65 mb/d motor fuels, 13 mb/d petrochem, 22 mb/d other (hard to replace) fuels. Suppose the latter two categories grow at 2% and 0% respectively. In 25 years, this leads to 21.3 mb/d petrochem, 22 mb/d hard-to-replace fuels. If the total consumption is 60 mb/d, that leaves 16.7 mb/d motor fuels. So the idea hear is that current fleet of some 1.3 vehicles (including trucks, trains and short-range marine craft) gets replaced by electrical craft. This ICE fleet of 1.3B needs to get reduce by about 76% to about 335M vehicles/vessels in 25 years. If the total fleet (ICE + EV) is say 2.7B (3%/y) in 25 years, then we need to grow the EV fleet from about 5M to 2.4B in that time. This implies a CAGR of 28%. I think this is possible. (For example, suppose 50%/y for the next 10 years, arriving at 288M EV fleet, followed by 15%/year over the following 15 years. This gets to 2.4B EV fleet in 25 years.)

As we have discussed, automotive ICE sales appear to have peaked recently. This is a good start. How quickly do sales have to decline so that the total ICE fleet declines 76% in 25 year? That will give us some indication how many more ICE vehicles should ever be built.

Makes sense. I really like your points regarding the relationship between the premium on oil price and political corruption, and how eliminating that premium may naturally foster healthier economies and systems of government in oil-dependent countries.

I recently read a book called Lifeblood (link at bottom) which discusses the history of oil, and particularly how it is intertwined with the political history of the 20th century. If folks here haven't read it they may enjoy it, or at least parts of it. At the beginning, the author presents an argument for how the early days of free-market, competitive oil extraction by wildcat drillers led inevitably to a cartel-system for governing oil markets in order to avoid wild swings in price and supply. Such volatility wasn't really tolerable, he argues, in the commodity that was quickly becoming foundational to global economic activity. I don't recall all the details, but I think it started with inter-state agreements to impose extraction quotas, and then evolved into the global system we see today.

That argument seems to contrast with your suggestion that price discovery via competitive markets is a viable alternative to the status quo for a commodity that is relied on for nearly every aspect of economic activity. I find both ideas compelling though, and I suspect the fact that renewable energy and battery storage technology are starting to offer the first really competitive alternatives to oil in 100 years may tilt things in favor of your argument.

Book link: Lifeblood
There are structural changes that can add stability to a market as it evolves. Size of the market, storage capacity, distribution infrastructure, import/export infrastructure, financial and futures markets, and reliable reporting, analysis and data can all contribute to working out logistical kinks and stabilizing market prices. Specifically, futures trading tied with storage operations is there to absorb short-term imbalances in the market and market price volatility. And producer or consumer that wants to avoid market risk can hedge via the futures and options markets. So there is really no need for a cartel to stabilize prices anymore, as any participant seeking stable prices can obtain them. This at least is a free market alternative to cartels.

A problem arises when there is the expectation that OPEC will provide stabilization and producers chose not to hedge for that reason. I believe that was the case just prior to the crash in 2014. OPEC refused to play that expected role and half the US shale industry went bankrupt. Those that survived learned to value a reasonable amount of hedging.

So futures markets provide financially efficient hedging for the physical market. However, they can also induce other financial risks. Financialization happens went investors use oil derivatives as hedge against other financial risks such as inflation. Investors seeking a hedge against inflation have tried holding instruments in oil and other commodities. Their financial appetite can create a false sense of demand for the underlying commodity. This is all the more reason why a producer does well to sell oil forward. If investors drive up the price of oil. The producer can lock in that price for a tidy profit. If investors paid too much for oil, that is there loss. But if the producer simply followed the price movement and produced more oil without locking in that price, then they too take a loss with the price falls. So financialization can present producers with prices that do not track well the physical market. If producers do not hedge well, financialized demand can induce oversupply.

So it is up to producers to decide what risks they want to expose themselves to. Other commodity producers us forward contract quite extensively. For example, most of the LNG market is tied up in long multi-year contracts. It takes a special kind of crazy to sink a ton of capital into a well and just hope the spot market is going to be your friend. So having friends in other markets willing to trade market risk with you is a pretty good thing. Ultimately financiallization is a good thing.

Natural gas & coal.. What size battery do you have to allow 24/7/365 electricity?

You do realize that most of the power a household consumes is during the day (when the sun's out), and evening (when the wind's blowing), right? Most everything is turned off at night, unless you like to keep everything running even when not being used?

You do realize that most of the power a household consumes is during the day (when the sun's out), and evening (when the wind's blowing), right? Most everything is turned off at night, unless you like to keep everything running even when not being used?
I do not realize either of those things. Wind usually dies down at night. It also stays pretty warm here at night in the summer and quite cold in the winter.

I do not realize either of those things. Wind usually dies down at night. It also stays pretty warm here at night in the summer and quite cold in the winter.

Your claims will be more informative if they come with links to research / evidence that support the claims, rather than simply being your personal anecdote. Your claims will also be significantly more likely to contribute to the rest of our knowledge if you put energy into explaining the source of your knowledge, and why what you say is representative of something, and what it's representative of.

@canoemore 's response would be a simple exemplar. That linked article would be better if it had some information about the ratio to daytime power to nighttime power for a wind farm (is it 55/45, 70/30, 90/10, ??); how it varies seasonally (I have a personal, visceral idea of how solar varies seasonally where I live in Oregon).

Teach me something new, and make me smarter for having read your post. Canoemore did with his response to your post.

Reactions: canoemore

I'm going to ignore TTM's advice and continue feeding you. I'm not familiar with Oklahoma's weather pattern/conditions, so will give you the benefit of the doubt. I am aware that the inland states get the worst of both winters and summers.

However, all you've done is proven that you'll need access to more battery storage than the rest of us. It's still sunny during the summers, and still windy in the winters. If your weather conditions are still so bad that a couple days worth of battery storage isn't enough, then Congratulations, you've just proven that you'll need access to fossil fuels for a little longer in your life.

Lastly, just because the weather isn't helpful in your neck of the woods, doesn't mean you won't have access to renewable power when fossil fuels ultimately die out. China already has a functioning HVDC grid that spans thousands of miles. Maybe we can quid-pro-quo and copy from them?

Note, although some of the population will be in similiar shoes to yours, MOST of the US population can (and will) turn away from fossil fuels. And when they do, your fuel costs will go up, because of the lack of volume to extract, refine, and then distribute it.

Reactions: winfield100