Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Car Come to Stop if Creep is off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have creep turned off so the car does not roll when releasing the brakes after putting it in gear. That's what I want. However, I thought that it was also supposed to bring the car to a dead stop when letting off the accelerator and only using regen to stop the car. My car will slow to a 1 or 2 mph roll, but never stops. Is it supposed to?

What about TACC, any way to make it auto adjust your set speed to the new speed limit when the speed limit changes?

TACC will indeed bring the car to a complete stop. If you don’t have autopilot on though, it *sometimes* will not start going again once the car in front of you moves (UI will indicate HOLD (press brake or gas to release).

With autopilot on, it will auto adjust the speed to your set threshold, up to 5 over the currently detected speed limit on non-highway roads (which I find incredibly annoying, since it ends up slamming on the brakes to slow down instead of gradually coasting. Not sure if it adjusts speed with just TACC on, though I know it does not adjust speed on limited access highways).

What about TACC, any way to make it auto adjust your set speed to the new speed limit when the speed limit changes?
No, that feature is disabled for some unknown reason. I'd certainly like the option to turn this on.

If you are interested in seeing how it might work on your AP1 car, you can pull the cruise control wand toward you and hold it. The car will behave as you are requesting. I have not been able to determine if this causes any long-term problems, as it gets a little tiresome if the speed limit rarely changes. I do it frequently on rural highways as they pass through small towns with the ramp down, then back up to highway speed limits. NOTE that the speed limit it will adjust to includes your speed offset, so you likely will be going too fast for a little town's bored constabulary!

TACC will indeed bring the car to a complete stop. If you don’t have autopilot on though, it *sometimes* will not start going again once the car in front of you moves (UI will indicate HOLD (press brake or gas to release).

With autopilot on, it will auto adjust the speed to your set threshold, up to 5 over the currently detected speed limit on non-highway roads (which I find incredibly annoying, since it ends up slamming on the brakes to slow down instead of gradually coasting. Not sure if it adjusts speed with just TACC on, though I know it does not adjust speed on limited access highways).

Just to avoid some confusion,
  • Isn't TACC part of Autopilot (or Driver Assistance) features?
  • Isn't what you are referring to as autopilot really Autosteer (again another part of Autopilot) + TACC?
And as @BerTX indicated, can't understand why the speed change for TACC only works when Autosteer + TACC is activated. Should be optional.

Purpose of creep going forwrad is to avoid crashing at slow speed: Editorial: Why it is safer to have creep mode ON rather than OFF.

This fellow's “editorial” is badly flawed.

His premise is that someone becomes mentally incompacitated, regains awareness, finds himself in a nonmoving car, then stomps on the accelerator. The writer suggests that since the car has creep mode enabled and the car is still, that it must be in a mode in which pressing the accelerator doesn't cause the car to move. He uses this to suggest that creep mode is safer.

Assuming his unlikely circumstance of sudden, total, transient mental incapacitation, if he had creep mode enabled and the car in drive or reverse, the car would have been moving under power during the mentally vacant episode. There is risk here that isn't addressed. Next, he assumes since the car isn't moving, the car must have been placed in park or neutral. If the car was moving under power while this driver was mentally vacant, there's a fairly good chance the car isn't moving because it has hit an obstruction, not necessarily because the car is in neutral or park.

To assume that the nonmoving creep enabled car had to have been placed in park or neutral while a similar nonmoving noncreep enabled car might not have been placed in park or neutral is the crux of his argument. There is nothing in the nonuse of creep mode that precludes this car having been put into park or neutral, so there's no advantage there.

To use this unlikely scenario to suggest the use of creep mode is safer than not using it makes no sense at all.

And now this silly argument is being quoted as a authoritative source for the increased safety of using creep mode. This isn't science it isn't even well thought out.

If you like creep mode, use it. If you don't like it, turn it off. But don't try to tell me it's safer to use creep mode based solely on this “editorial”.

This fellow's “editorial” is badly flawed.

His premise is that someone becomes mentally incompacitated, regains awareness, finds himself in a nonmoving car, then stomps on the accelerator. The writer suggests that since the car has creep mode enabled and the car is still, that it must be in a mode in which pressing the accelerator doesn't cause the car to move. He uses this to suggest that creep mode is safer.

Assuming his unlikely circumstance of sudden, total, transient mental incapacitation, if he had creep mode enabled and the car in drive or reverse, the car would have been moving under power during the mentally vacant episode. There is risk here that isn't addressed. Next, he assumes since the car isn't moving, the car must have been placed in park or neutral. If the car was moving under power while this driver was mentally vacant, there's a fairly good chance the car isn't moving because it has hit an obstruction, not necessarily because the car is in neutral or park.

To assume that the nonmoving creep enabled car had to have been placed in park or neutral while a similar nonmoving noncreep enabled car might not have been placed in park or neutral is the crux of his argument. There is nothing in the nonuse of creep mode that precludes this car having been put into park or neutral, so there's no advantage there.

To use this unlikely scenario to suggest the use of creep mode is safer than not using it makes no sense at all.

And now this silly argument is being quoted as a authoritative source for the increased safety of using creep mode. This isn't science it isn't even well thought out.

If you like creep mode, use it. If you don't like it, turn it off. But don't try to tell me it's safer to use creep mode based solely on this “editorial”.

Creep mode is almost completely useless for me, except for the very rare occasion where I need to maneuver the car very slowly and very carefully (let's say, for example, when I only have a centimeters of clearance and have a friend outside helping to guide me/telling me when to turn the wheel/etc). I recently found myself in exactly this situation (!), and having creep off made it MUCH more difficult, because I had to VERY carefully feather the accelerator and react quickly enough on the brake when I needed to stop. Had I turned creep on, I would just have had to feather the brake to maneuver; much easier. But for my daily driving creep stays off.

Purpose of creep going forwrad is to avoid crashing at slow speed: Editorial: Why it is safer to have creep mode ON rather than OFF.

No, the purpose of creep on is to mimic how a torque-converter automatic transmission solved the stop/go problem. It's there in case the user is familiar with that and prefers it.

Manual transmission cars, as well as many non-torque converter automatics (eg BMW dual clutch) do not creep or attempt to mimic a car with a different transmission.

Reactions: jankratochvil