Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should EVs Make Artificial Sounds at Low Speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How sad. A 'solution' to a problem that does not exist. Oh well, people will find a way to disable the speaker

You are so right. Considering the many ways in which pedestrians intentionally distract themselves these days, coupled with the many types of individuals for whom a noisy car is pointless (hearing impaired, mentally ill, toddlers, etc.) ensuring that cars are noisy is a solution looking for a problem.

I have family in a retirement community, restricted to age 55 and over. Most everyone in this 2000+ home community drives a silent golf cart vehicle. Even with the combination of a huge number of silent electric vehicles and hearing impaired individuals, pedestrian accidents are unheard of.

There's no replacement for a driver paying close attention.

The below, in green, is strictly from the BBC article:

MEPs agreed that in future the vehicles must be fitted with devices to make them "sound similar" to cars with combustion engines.The move has been welcomed by campaigners.
MEPs also voted to tighten noise emission standards for cars, vans, lorries and buses over the next decade.

So, my first question would be: "So no prob if the EV I produce is as noisy as a Rolls Royce Silver Wraith?"

The second one would be "You want noisier EVs and quieter ICEs. Has your doctor recalibrated your meds recently?"

And on a less fatuous note, my oft-expressed desire has been that, if and when EVs are compelled to do same, that the manufacturers create that sound as such a "simple" noise that a simultaneously incorporated noise canceller would make such sound inaudible to anyone in the cabin. Thus, overall, not too expensive a fix - though it's a d*mned shame these dingbats insist on keeping the world as noisy as it is.

Another one of those stupid european laws...:love:

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-14-363_en.htm?locale=en

So ICEs have to get quieter - by 4dB but over 10 to 12 years.

EVs and hybrids have to be noisier in 5. Can't find a reference to the 2021 date - only 2019

A specific Annex on the minimum noise ('Approaching Vehicle Audible Systems') of electric and hybrid electric vehicles is proposed to be added. These requirements shall ensure that only adequate sound generating devices are used and it shall lead to a harmonisation of the applied technology. The fitting was made mandatory by the legislator for electric/hybrid vehicles (after 5 years/publication). http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/automotive/environment/noise/index_en.htm

Start posting possible sound clips here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...design-a-pedestrian-warning-noise-for-a-Tesla

Last edited:
Why is it always only electric and hybrids? If such a law exists all cars should be tested and have this sound if they are too quiet. I don't think this law should exist in the first place though.

Talk about idiotic logic fallacies. Now I have to go and tape a playing card to rattle my bicycle wheel spokes - it's so quiet I fear for my own and everyone elses safety. Also in EU tap dancing toed shoes will be mandatory for pedestrians in 2020.

If this truly is a problem then banning talking on mobile phones or listening to music while walking would also have to be included. Otherwise it's pointless. I don't want any of these laws passed either.

I've decided that my CarTone will be the sound of a Tauntaun, from the Star Wars movie.

640px-Luketauntaun.jpg

That oughta give pedestrians something to notice.

Outstanding......................
Then we could have a disk of Tesla Tauntaun Tunes!!
Choose the appropriate gross sound to match the particular reason.

........or just come up with something like the 'Domino's Pizza Scooter'

Last edited:
I vote No!
Silence is part of the experience I enjoy about EVs.
Now if it is something that can be disabled at will or activated when needed....okay.
If you can add your own soundtone to the car, like ringtones....we could sound like the Ice cream truck.

The obvious answer is No. There are better solutions to the problem trying to be solved. Solving the problem by introducing noise which is an unnecessary artifact of old technology is the old way of thinking. What is great about Tesla is that they have smashed many of the old ways of thinking and proven them to be wrong. This is just one more barrier that needs to fall on the way to more globally embracing obviously superior technology... we do get too tied to old ideas; they seem to comfort us unnecessarily.

I vote No sounds should not be required.

However I admit I've snuck up and surprised more than one ped in my Stealth NinjaCar. But if it must make sound I choose the clapping coconut shells from Monty Python Holy Grail. I'd also consider a galloping horse, mooing cows, and bleating sheep.

MakerFaire idea: hook up a speed-sensitive custom CarTone speaker powered by the 12V posts behind the S nose cone. If only I had the time...

Good morning! I would vote yes, at least in reverse. I almost hit someone when I was backing up my Volt. (new poster, lurking here) He said - "dude, you almost hit me - I didn't hear you!" My bad. Some type of tone, or perhaps a little voice that warns humans that you are backing would be useful. Backup cams don't catch everything. Thanks.

This morning I was driving along a road that's between the freeway on one side, and public parklands fronting the bay shoreline on the other, at about the 35mph speed limit. (Mission Bay Drive near the Hilton, if any locals care.) I was behind a noisy pick-up, not close to him but definitely "in train". And a fully grown adult man ran out from between two parked cars! He saw me and did exactly the wrong thing, he froze! The Model S definitely has good brakes, our dog was catapulted into the front seat.

Now I certainly don't want the car making an artificial noise at 35mph, so this just convinced me that it's silly at any speed.

Good morning! I would vote yes, at least in reverse. I almost hit someone when I was backing up my Volt. (new poster, lurking here) He said - "dude, you almost hit me - I didn't hear you!" My bad. Some type of tone, or perhaps a little voice that warns humans that you are backing would be useful. Backup cams don't catch everything. Thanks.

A really good reason to back in, drive out whenever possible.

My $0.02 on this...

Please excuse the irresistable pun, but Tesla have remained silent on this EU law and not said anything about building in noises to comply with upcoming regulations. Quite probably because the law is dumb, and will only take hold if electric car manufacturers actually comply. I am sure Tesla have no intention of building in any sort of noises... they will fight the law based on environmental grounds (i.e. nothing to do with greenhouse gases... more like ruining the peace and quiet that an all-electric future portends).

There are organisations like this (in the UK) who will fight the regulations too, if anyone tries to enforce them -
Noise Abatement Society | Sound solutions

There's probably someone in the USA who would step up and fight that sort of legislation if it ever came up in America.

And then there is the bottom line. Responsibility for avoiding "death by car" has never laid solely on the pedestrian (where as such, silent cars would represent some new threat). Responsibility for killing pedestrians has always been on the shoulders of the driver... and it still is, and that will never change. It is the driver's responsibility to avoid hitting pedestrians no matter what sort of vehicle they're driving. If the car does not have the (currently) familiar sound of a gasoline engine, that does not make it any less the driver's responsibility.

Responsibility lies both with pedestrians and drivers... and when pedestrians can't do it (blindness, infancy etc.) the responsibility falls squarely on the shoulders of the driver.

Drivers have to look where their vehicle is going.

OK maybe that was more than $0.02.