Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should EVs Make Artificial Sounds at Low Speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the noise pollution is worse than what it is trying to mitigate. BEV could result in quieter cities for all of us except that our cars now go weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

The only rationale would be to help blind people, and I don't know any blind people so I can't ask how well that would work for them :(

In all seriousness, there is this kid in the neighborhood who always plays in the street in front of his house

(he is not my kid. I have not formally trained him. I do not know of his genetics. I am not sure of the parenting structure)

In either case, if he is facing away when I approach, when he finally turns to see me coming, he jumps a foot or so in the air, limbs flailing ... it is, in a word, entertaining.

I will miss that.

At least the noise requirement is limited to speeds under 18 MPH (30 km/H). And while I can't figure out exactly how loud it has to be, I don't think it's intended to alert someone with headphones on. Instead, it is obviously geared, primarily towards people who are blind.

Interestingly, Tesla didn't file any comments. Moreover, the explanatory texts seems to suggest that Tesla would have installed such a system without the rule, which I doubt. Finally, it seems like none of the tested vehicle were BEVs. Perhaps the rule could be challenged on appeal given that glaring omission.
Might encourage a lot of 20 in a 15 zone.

If only we could invent some kind of on-demand noise maker. It would be quiet when not needed, and when we need to alert a pedestrian we could turn it on just long enough to alert them, and then it would be quiet again.

We could call it a "horn".

Had a Leaf and the noisemaker didn't stop a pedestrian from walking directly in front of me in a parking lot, looking at their phone. Of course since I was driving slow, not looking at my phone, and sober, I just stopped the car, same as it would be in any car. The forward noisemaker never made sense to me at all. By the time I'm going a speed that becomes significantly dangerous to pedestrians, the car makes plenty of noise just from the tires rolling on the road.

The only thing I'd say is that people are used to hearing a car start up before it starts reversing out of a parking space, so the only thing that would make much sense to me is some nominal indicator noise when the car is placed into reverse. Not a constant dump truck beep, but just a one time chime or something. The Leaf chime for reverse isn't that bad, but after the first chime seems unnecessary.

What I would love on ALL cars is an alternate option to the horn. A friendlier, quieter chime you can initiate with a button on the steering wheel to let people know you're approaching without blaring the horn.

Can they make the sound play "I am just here so I won't get fined" in Marshawn Lynch voice?

But on a serious note, what about giving options for people to chose their noise and can the noise be directional?

When the rule was first considered, the "ringtone" industry was going crazy and one of the first proposed requirements was that the tone for a particular year/make/model of a car must be identical across all units of that year/make/model, set by the manufacturer, and non-customizable. They did not want to have a "choose your own sound clip" scenario. Many of the manufacturers immediately hired audio engineers to create their car's custom sound. BMW and others took it a step further, piping it into the cabin as well to make their small engines sound big.

(The other day at the St. Charles Supercharger opening, the driver of St. Louis's first Prius taxi stopped by; he used an app on his phone, connected via BT to both a diagnostics dongle and his stereo... based on RPM of the engine, the phone produced revving engine sounds from a McLaren over the speakers. While cute the first couple of times, that would be highly annoying to see with every car on the road, IMO.)

Please, if anyone at tesla engineering reads this, put the speaker and wire with plug in connector accessible in frunk so I can, say, upgrade speaker...

- - - Updated - - -

Problem is, it's NOT. So many pedestrians have earphones or are looking at phones, this protects nobody.... Just adds noise pollution so they'll turn the headphones up.

You're right. I should have said "Attempting to nerf the world, one step at a time."

I think TM approach with the ultrasonic collision avoidance system is the best solution. That should be required on all cars instead.

Maybe it can be tied together as an advanced pedestrian alert system - if the car detects a person moving near/in front of it, it then sends a short burst of targeted sound to get their attention, but the car is otherwise silent?

For bonus points, the car can have an option to keep it active while parked as a 360 degree active burglar pre-alarm. :)

An annoying law. But it could be fun if Tesla allowed uploading of any sound clip to play at low speeds. I think the sound of a horse walking on pavement would be funny, especially if it turned into a gallop as the car speed increased. At the right speed the tesla could trot through a parking lot.

Or the godzilla scream would get people out of the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the lamest news of the year. I hope it's all a bad dream. At the very least, Tesla should come up with a unique sound that doesn't bother the driver, actually helps pedestrians and is not just a fake and lame engine sound. WTF Stupid Government.