Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I abandon my Model S? New Battery Pack is needed.

Personally I would take wk057 offer at this point, but honestly you should've done the research about owning tesla out of warranty. There have been plenty horror stories on tesla out of warranty cost. With your $40000ish you put in the car already, I would've gone with the id4 1st edition last year. Out the door price would've been around $38K after the $7500 tax credit for brand new EV with full warranty and much more range than the model s 60. And arguably a more comfortable better car than the model s 60. It is actually a surprisingly good car for the money. And you would've gotten free unlimited charging for 3 years at electrify America stations. But yes hindsight and all EVs now are expensive so that might not be an option anymore. But it doesn't hurt to ask and shop around for the id4 or other EVs.

• Informative
Reactions: KJD
Personally I would take wk057 offer at this point, but honestly you should've done the research about owning tesla out of warranty. There have been plenty horror stories on tesla out of warranty cost. With your $40000ish you put in the car already, I would've gone with the id4 1st edition last year. Out the door price would've been around $38K after the $7500 tax credit for brand new EV with full warranty and much more range than the model s 60. And arguably a more comfortable better car than the model s 60. It is actually a surprisingly good car for the money. And you would've gotten free unlimited charging for 3 years at electrify America stations. But yes hindsight and all EVs now are expensive so that might not be an option anymore. But it doesn't hurt to ask and shop around for the id4 or other EVs.
I didn’t expect to own this car for 40K. I wouldn’t have bought the car if I hadn’t been told it had a new battery. The other big item is the drive unit and that eas factored into the price. I have owned 4 BMW I3s, 2 Fiat 500es a Volt and a plug in Prius. For my usage the Tesla supercharging is a must have requirement. If I was planning on spending 45k I would have bought a nice 2016+ with a warranty. I don’t think that a used Model S is a no go, as long as you are getting a new battery and drive unit.

I didn’t expect to own this car for 40K. I wouldn’t have bought the car if I hadn’t been told it had a new battery. The other big item is the drive unit and that eas factored into the price. I have owned 4 BMW I3s, 2 Fiat 500es a Volt and a plug in Prius. For my usage the Tesla supercharging is a must have requirement. If I was planning on spending 45k I would have bought a nice 2016+ with a warranty. I don’t think that a used Model S is a no go, as long as you are getting a new battery and drive unit.
A 2016ish model s would be soon running out of warranty also and again you don't want to own a tesla out of warranty. I would've still looked at the alternatives especially now that there are alternatives. I think tesla got you so fixated on the free unlimited supercharging. Haha But all kidding aside, the id4 had 3 years free unlimited fast charging, albeit you have to find those electrify America stations. They are expanding rapidly and I would say they are now what tesla's network was about 2 years ago. So it is not too bad and there might be some near where you live.

Big Earl

bnkwupt
Supporting Member
Jul 12, 2017
Springfield, VA
In terms of total site count in the USA, not counting number of stalls, EA is today where Tesla was in late 2019. However, in terms of highway coverage in the USA, EA is today where Tesla was in early 2017. The pace of expansion is also very different with EA having 98 "coming soon" stations, however they define that, and Tesla having 82 US locations under construction and 181 US locations permitted for construction.

EA still has major cross-country gaps, including Interstates 80, 90 and 94 across the western United States as well as several missing north-south routes including Interstates 25, 29, 55 65. EA also only provides access to Canada via Blaine, WA; Sault Ste. Marie, MI; Detroit, MI; Buffalo, NY and I-87 south of Montreal.

Sorry, that was a long way of saying that EA is two to five years behind Tesla's Supercharger network, depending on which metrics one uses to compare.

In terms of total site count in the USA, not counting number of stalls, EA is today where Tesla was in late 2019. However, in terms of highway coverage in the USA, EA is today where Tesla was in early 2017. The pace of expansion is also very different with EA having 98 "coming soon" stations, however they define that, and Tesla having 82 US locations under construction and 181 US locations permitted for construction.

EA still has major cross-country gaps, including Interstates 80, 90 and 94 across the western United States as well as several missing north-south routes including Interstates 25, 29, 55 65. EA also only provides access to Canada via Blaine, WA; Sault Ste. Marie, MI; Detroit, MI; Buffalo, NY and I-87 south of Montreal.

Sorry, that was a long way of saying that EA is two to five years behind Tesla's Supercharger network, depending on which metrics one uses to compare.
During holiday travels in Dec 2015, we supercharged along I-70, I-29 and I-90...when I looked at EA to see if we could fast-charge to visit the same places in our ID.4 for Dec 2021, we would not be able to use I-29 any further north than I-80...

...So in my anecdotal case, I'd say EA is 6+ years behind Tesla.

During holiday travels in Dec 2015, we supercharged along I-70, I-29 and I-90...when I looked at EA to see if we could fast-charge to visit the same places in our ID.4 for Dec 2021, we would not be able to use I-29 any further north than I-80...

...So in my anecdotal case, I'd say EA is 6+ years behind Tesla.
I live in LA and the Tesla supercharging network is massive. Having owned a number of non-Tesla EVs I can honestly say that I would not recommend one unless you can charge at home. The number of electric cars in LA overwhelms the charging infrastructure, which is compounded by EV and ICE holes and broken cables, connectors, and chargers. When you are entirely reliant on over-saturated charging infrastructure, it becomes so frustrating to own an EV. I can tell you of entire afternoons where I didn't have the time and had to hunt down an available charger in order to continue my day.

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California
Gotta love it when too many people and fanboys believe and post stuff like this:

At 140,000 miles I’m well on the road to this general sentiment being true for me. I don’t think it’s that far fetched for more recent models.

There are real issues with some cars and Tesla in particular still struggles with consistency - but this forum (any forum really) makes the perceived frequency and magnitude of problems much greater than it actually is.

I always have to chuckle at the doomsdayers that pop into every thread and proclaim how reckless it is to own a Tesla out of warranty. My out of warranty repair costs in 5 years and 140k miles are well south of $1,000.

I will agree that owning a car with no battery/drive unit warranty, given today’s absurd repair costs and Tesla’s death grip on service, is a gamble.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC