Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I get white interior?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I gather the worst part of white seats is dye bleed from clothing. Stains and spills are easy to clean up if they haven't set in.

While most people talk about protecting the seats with ceramic coating and all sorts of weird stuff, the best way to make sure your clothes don't dye/transfer into your all-white car seats is to use something like Retayne (I won't link it here but feel free to search it).

This product helps set dye on new cotton clothing if the garment is washed in HOT water with the Retayne before wearing.

Subsequently, you will want to wash this same garment with cold water to keep the dye on the yarn and minimize transfer.

Last edited:
Reactions: btenison
I’m getting ready to order my model 3. I love the looks of the white seats but wear black pants to work everyday. Should I risk it or go with the black interior?
I have a 2018 MS Midnight Silver Metallic exterior with white seats… still looking beautiful after 3 years and 30,000 miles. No problem with any clothing type or color and cleans up easily after food spills. The seats have even survived the dreaded pen in a pocket attack. Clean up with ArmorAll Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning Wipes - keep them handy.

Here's my $0.02 on the white interior:

I absolutely love it with neutral color exterior colors: white, gray (aka, MSM), black, not as much of a fan with blue and red, for either of those colors, I would've gone with the black interior. I say that knowing I also wasn't a fan of the wood accents, but that's easily rectified (and not really all that pricey).

I feel like the white is sort of a "signature" design element Tesla, and it really adds to the spacious feel of the cabin area.

To be honest, I do sort of worry about a white interior, I've had lighter gray and tan interiors that showed stains after years, and this is __white__. They'll also show more construction issues like loose stitching.

I think for a recent-ish period it was a "free" choice between white and black, and white is now a $1K upcharge, I think that's because the materials might be a little more premium[?] I honestly have no idea, and I've never spent any time in a black interior car, but these are nice. Feels like the higher end interior choices in other makes (like Lexus).

At the end of the day my primary driver was exterior color, I considered red, that was a black interior for sure, I wound up with MSM, and went with white.

White has never been a free option. It has always been an add-on charge.

I couldn't remember, when I first shopped I wasn't in full commitment mode, so I didn't exactly pay attention to the details during my "speculative configurations" :D I guess since the additional cost is pretty minor at the Performance model price (i.e., $1K in the context of a ~$55K vehicle), the choice didn't really register as much difference to me.

You're right on with how it creates a really different interior perspective, white just isn't something that's commonly done in modern vehicles, it definitely adds to the unique Tesla experience.

As long as you don’t do this it’ll be fine

Tesla-News-TikTok-User-Shows-New-Model-3-Spaghetti-Mode.jpg

I’m getting ready to order my model 3. I love the looks of the white seats but wear black pants to work everyday. Should I risk it or go with the black interior?
30k miles and they look fine, kids and all. I coated mine for some extra protection and carry wipes, but they're pretty low maintenance and really differentiate/lighten the interior, which is different and nice.

You only live once, go with what speaks to you.:cool:

We have also used Mr Clean Magic Eraser on stubborn stains.
ok as an emergency solution but i would have tried more agressive chemicals i.e. petroleum/white spirit first.
mr eraser is an abrasive so it works like a polish. so you are taking the toplayer of the vynil coating off. no idea how thick it is and how many polishes it tolerates before you are down to the plastic.

White is very cool but I don't like the white dashboard and also I wish there was a choice of fabric material instead of leather or leatherette,
because the leather type of material is cold in winter and hot in the summer summer.

So I was considering installing some nice seat covers both for comfort and for seat protection to have the car in pristine condition when selling it,
even if I had passengers been not very cautious or to use the back seat to carry various wood tools or sport equipments and bicycle.

Instead of getting the white option, I bought some "Wet Okole" neoprene seat covers, which are very smooth to the touch and the additional
5 mm neoprene makes the seat very confortable and gives the felling of memory foam mattress which is very nice for long trips.

Reactions: Darmie