Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I have received a physical owners manual?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the car home and I only have two small booklets in the glove box — one a Safety Guide and another (I think) a small Quick Start guide. Should I have gotten a physical owners manual with all the details about the car in it?

Thanks

If you had, it will rapidly be obsolete. You should have a link to the current manual in PDF form on your Telsa Account page for your car. There is also a manual readable (and searchable!) on the car's MFD.

I agree!

Owner's manuals are becoming obsolete, and not many people read them anymore!

Car companies can save money and just release digital versions of them instead of printing them!

With Tesla, they update so much with software updates, it would be a waste!

Got the car home and I only have two small booklets in the glove box — one a Safety Guide and another (I think) a small Quick Start guide. Should I have gotten a physical owners manual with all the details about the car in it?

Thanks

There is a digital copy of the owner's manual on the display. It's much better than a physical copy because it has a search function and it get's updated when a new software update get's released.

Besides it will quickly be obsolete with the way software updates and new features get released so frequently anyway.

You can sign into your Tesla account online and download a copy of the manual for reference reading on your laptop or phone. I have it on both of my devices out of convenience. Click the "Manage" button below your car's VIN, in the next window you'll see "Download Owner's Manual" on the bottom right. It's in searchable .PDF format.

As someone mentioned you can also conveniently find a copy on your car's screen by clicking on the Tesla "T", and locating the "Manual" link at the bottom.

The Owner's Manual does periodically get updated as new features or changes get made so periodically check back. When your car gets an update you'll see Release Notes on your screen that you can read through before driving, and eventually the info will be incorporated into the next Manual update.

Last edited:
Tesla has been trying to eliminate or at least reduce paper.

Several vehicles ago, I bought a Cadillac SRX. Sadly, it was right after their promo with Apple ended; for a little while, instead of a paper manual, Cadillac would give you an iPad preloaded with it. I thought that was very cool ... great way to show some eco-friendliness and a really nice owner perk. It didn’t last long. Now it’s just a link to a PDF.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam