Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I keep my SR+ order, or Re lease another BMW 330?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is BAD advise.

BMW covers all maintenance costs for the duration of the lease.
Also, TM3 maintenance costs are distinctly non 0.
My TM3P eats through tires at at least 2x the rate of my BMW (I'm on my second set of summer and winter tires, after 2 years and 28K miles). That's ~$2K/2 years more than I normally incur with the bimmer (unless I track it, which is another cost category altogether).

Also, extracting warranty work or service from Tesla is a royal PITA, that has only gotten worse over time.
Where I live, service appointment available is 4+ weeks out, even if you have a suspension failure or some other terminal condition with the Tesla. I'm 100% driving ///M3 right now, while waiting on the TM3P appointment (2 weeks to go) to replace blown front shock.

YMMV,
a
Don't have this experience at all with my wife's M3. Car is at 40k km. Haven't changed neither the Summer nor Winter Tires and the summers are currently at 6/32. Probably one more year after this one on them I guess. Also the Tesla Service is reasonably good imo. I couldn't really expect more.

The vampire drain is pretty insignificant, also there are enough destination chargers and super chargers around that once you arrive somewhere you can charge it - but once again, you have to do that extra "Tesla Travel Planning" effort. Find a hotel with tesla chargers, or charge at a supercharger nearby etc...
I feel like in that case. I wouldn't put the actual address of where I am doing but instead the nearest supercharger when traveling. Unless the hotel I am staying at has Level 2 chargers already installed.

Yes could do that, although the car will pick the Superchargers you need to finish your trip. The car will preheat the battery when a sc is selected. For the hotels with destination charging, your app will show you a choice if available where you are.

Yes could do that, although the car will pick the Superchargers you need to finish your trip. The car will preheat the battery when a sc is selected. For the hotels with destination charging, your app will show you a choice if available where you are.
Can you please elaborate on that? I don't access full access within the app yet. The app suggests hotels with EV chargers?

@afadeev has both a model 3 performance, and a "real M3" (I refuse categorically to EVER call a model 3 a "M3"). People who like performance cars tend to drive them, well, like performance cars, so I am not surprised they wear tires faster.

Guilty as charged.
However, the same driving biases apply when I drove both cars. If anything, TM3P makes it harder to burn rear tires vs. ///M3.
Yet, TM3P munches through tires faster than any car I've ever owned. By about 2x margin.
Partly, because it is much MUCH heavier that my other cars. Partly, because it is under-tired.

Thank you. But if you had a car allowance and the government gave you a $8000 cheque, would you go with the M3 SR+ for that reason? The provincial government is PAYING you to drive EV. I can do a lot with $8K lol.

I would take all costs (an emotional biases) into account before making the final decision.

$8K is not "given to you". You must spend $$,$$$ to collect it. It's no different then running to a grocery store to cash-in on a discount coupon, only to discover that you are spending money on something that may not be optimal for your circumstances in the first place.

Or split the difference, and get one of each!
;)

P.S.: Personally, I would never recommend owning an EV to anyone who can't charge it from their private L2+ charger, in their own garage, overnight. Alternative arrangements are entirely feasible, but would be too much of a PITA. IMHO.

I remember you specifically from BMW forums.. I think you were (and may still be for all I know) pretty active on Bimmerforums, while i had very little presence there. Conversely, I used to be very active on Bimmerfest, but stopped posting there for a number of reasons of which buying my model 3 was only 1.

My model 3 P was an "either / or" with a real M3. In 2018 I was going to buy one of the F80s that came in the "free" grey color they had, for the outgoing model.

In any case, I agree with you, I wouldnt own this car if I couldnt charge in comfort, at home. others are different but I dont have that much patience. I dont mind charging at superchargers on a road trip or something, but I would never want to do it on even an irregular basis as part of daily driving.

My wife still has her 2019 X3 M40 and im likely to buy out the lease in a couple of months here, beacause used car prices are so good. It only has 6k miles on it in 32 months, lol. We have gone back and forth on being an "all BEV" household, but this X3 is basically still brand new, and we ordered it with every option other than tow hitch, since we dont have outdoor toys.

I love my model 3 for what it is, and tolerate the other stuff because I enjoy the car a lot, but it certainly doesnt hold a candle to being built anything like my wifes X3, nor any of the 3 and 4 series I had previously.

I wouldnt dissuade people from getting one because of it, but "eyes wide open" as the saying goes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sunny5280
Here's a random thought- do you even need a car? Don't lease either one. If they are sitting around burning money and you don't use them that much.

In today's world in a big city you can easily get by without a car. Uber/Lyft/cabs whatever comes up. Ride a bicycle when it's nice. If you need something for a weekend- rent a Turo from someone and try out all sorts of different cars. If you go on a long trip, rent a car or Turo for the optimal experience.

In the space of one year, you would save more than that 8K incentive.

Here's a random thought- do you even need a car? Don't lease either one. If they are sitting around burning money and you don't use them that much.

In today's world in a big city you can easily get by without a car. Uber/Lyft/cabs whatever comes up. Ride a bicycle when it's nice. If you need something for a weekend- rent a Turo from someone and try out all sorts of different cars. If you go on a long trip, rent a car or Turo for the optimal experience.

In the space of one year, you would save more than that 8K incentive.
I get a company car allowance so kind of have to get a car... Believe me, I thought of going car less. Really with the mileage I plan on doing, I should be going with like a Prius or a barebone model make. I just love a nice drive. I am spoiled with the 2018 BMW 330xi. It's so smooth. I have a planned test drive with the 2021 BMW 330x drive tomorrow night.

I get a company car allowance so kind of have to get a car... Believe me, I thought of going car less. Really with the mileage I plan on doing, I should be going with like a Prius or a barebone model make. I just love a nice drive. I am spoiled with the 2018 BMW 330xi. It's so smooth. I have a planned test drive with the 2021 BMW 330x drive tomorrow night.
Are you considering the replacement of the 2018 because its lease is ending?

Yes, I hear. Apparently, it's less bad with the 2021 models. How bad is it, though? Like in an airplane lol?
I came from a BMW F30 335i Sedan. Overall the Tesla is quieter in most scenarios. The one where it's not is that the wheels aren't as insulated so if the road is dirty/sandy/etc it is pretty loud. But on the highway my first drive home (250 km) I was amazed at how quite the Model 3 Performance was compared to the 335i I drove there.

Are you considering the replacement of the 2018 because its lease is ending?

Maybe you are stuck on the Standard Range to hit the grant - but the Long Range would really be a better option. You get AWD and more battery for the winter months.
Yes but in order to get anywhere near the SR+ lease payment , you have to put 5K down for the LR. If I'm putting money down , I would just buy it over 96 months. With our Canadian winters and the impact it does to our cars, I don't see the point of buying a Tesla. If I was in California or a warmer climate then yes, but Id rather upgrade every 4 years.

As many others have stated, if you don't have a means to charge at home that is compatible with your normal driving habits then EVs can be noticable less covenient than ICE. I would agree that the cost of having a EV charger installed in your condo (especially with the government offering to reimburse half) will more than likely be recovered on future sale. Especially with Canadian government currently mandating all new vehicles sold as of 2035 must be non emitting (either EV or Hydrogen, and I expect 99% will be EV).

I know others have suggested a level 1 charger (1.4 kW) is adequate but one advantage of the Tesla is the ability to access the app and set interior pre conditioning so you enter a nice warm environment on those very cold winter days. My understanding is pre-conditioning can consume in the neighborhood of 3 kW. So if only plugged in at level 1 charger, additional power will be drained from the battery when pre conditioning. So I would definitely recommend going with a level 2 charger and go with standard J1772 to make it universal use for future sale. Depending on the parking setup in your condo garage (ie shared with other condo owners), I would consider getting a smart EVSE such as the Juicebox that would allow you to share it with other residents (for an appropriate fee of course).

Having the ability to charge my vehicle at home, I find very liberating even though I only had to fill up my previous ICE vehicle (BMW E91 300xi) every two weeks based on my typical mileage.

Note, my previous ICE vehicle was AWD but I have actually found my 2021 SR+ easier to control in adverse conditions. This is because the stability/traction control on an EV is night and day compared to an ICE vehicle. On ICE vehicle stability engine throtle response is crude and typically measured in order of seconds where EV engine response (especially Tesla) can be precisely modulated and is measured 1/100 seconds. As others will tell you, unless slip start is enabled on a standard Tesla (exclude P models with track mode), it is impossible spin the tires.

So for winter driving, invest in a good set of winter tires over getting AWD. Your biggest issue for winter driving will be deep snow and lack of ground clearence. I had one incident where I nearly got stuck navigating a roundabout that had about a foot of snow that had not been cleared. Due to the flat battery pack undercarriage, I seemed to be almost sledding on the deep snow. I was able to get unstuck by enabling slip start and rocking back and forth between fwd and rev 5-6 times.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ru55o-Bolt
I was also going to echo whether you actually need to spend $40k on a car if you never drive.
What is your definition of ‘smooth’? If you want a quiet, comfy drivetrain you should look into an accord hybrid, it feels like driving on a cloud and it’s 15-20k less. I found the Model 3 test drive to be quite harsh tbh. Be prepared to spend an extra 3k+Install on shocks if you want a smooth ride.
I’m in a similar situation to you, working from home for the foreseeable future, and I just can’t justify getting a Tesla now. I figure it makes more sense until I’m driving more, and by then the car will probably be even better.

• Helpful
I remember you specifically from BMW forums.. I think you were (and may still be for all I know) pretty active on Bimmerforums, while i had very little presence there. Conversely, I used to be very active on Bimmerfest, but stopped posting there for a number of reasons of which buying my model 3 was only 1.

Yeah, I used to hang out on various bimmer forums, but with the pandemic, the amount of time I am spending driving cars (working from home) and time around car hobbies got severely downgraded. Other activities and hobbies had picked up the slack, by I still get a joy from driving fun cars. Just don't do it as frequently any more. But it's been getting better.

My model 3 P was an "either / or" with a real M3. In 2018 I was going to buy one of the F80s that came in the "free" grey color they had, for the outgoing model.
In any case, I agree with you, I wouldnt own this car if I couldnt charge in comfort, at home. others are different but I dont have that much patience. I dont mind charging at superchargers on a road trip or something, but I would never want to do it on even an irregular basis as part of daily driving.

Amen to that.
Not having to go hunting for fuel for the EV has been another benefit of owning an electric car with an L2 charger in the garage.

I love my model 3 for what it is, and tolerate the other stuff because I enjoy the car a lot, but it certainly doesnt hold a candle to being built anything like my wifes X3, nor any of the 3 and 4 series I had previously.

Agreed.
Model 3 is a great daily driver, and a AWD Model 3s (TM3P included) are great winter beater cars (on winter tires).
F80 feels a touch dated on the inside after TM3P, at first. But once I start driving and those ///M seats start properly hugging my body, I immediately begin to appreciate the joy of experiencing a well engineered driving machine. It's a totally driving driving engagement and experience level than what you can get out of Model 3. Those who know and appreciate performance driving, will know what I mean.

Note, my previous ICE vehicle was AWD but I have actually found my 2021 SR+ easier to control in adverse conditions. This is because the stability/traction control on an EV is night and day compared to an ICE vehicle. On ICE vehicle stability engine throtle response is crude and typically measured in order of seconds where EV engine response (especially Tesla) can be precisely modulated and is measured 1/100 seconds.

That is completely not true.
Modern ICE vehicle with drive-by-wire throttles can module power output in milliseconds. The rest of the traction control system works the same in all cars - primary inputs are wheel speed sensor, throttle sensor, lateral acceleration, steering angle, and yaw sensors. Outputs are adjustments to your steering, brake pressure (per wheel), and engine power.

Key difference between Tesla and performance cars' (e.g.: ///M3) traction control systems is that Tesla's is VERY blunt in its engagement and correction thresholds. It's either all or nothing, no modulation (outside of custom settings tin TM3P's "track mode").

Enjoy your ride(s)!

P.S.: If you want to lean more about TC, take a look a this:

• Helpful