Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should New Owners Get EAP, FSD, or Stick with Basic AP?

Should New Owners Get EAP, FSD, or Stick with Basic AP?

• EAP

Votes: 45 22.1%
  • FSD

Votes: 14 6.9%
  • Basic AP

Votes: 145 71.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering the opinions of the forum on this topic. I know its been discussed a bunch here and there, but I thought Id make a poll and see what everyones thoughts are.
For those who dont know the terms...

EAP = Enhanced Auto Pilot: $6,000
  1. Navigate on Autopilot
  2. Auto Lane Change
  3. Autopark
  4. Summon
  5. Smart Summon
FSD = Full Self Driving: $15,000
  1. All functionality of Basic Autopilot and Enhanced Autopilot
  2. Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control

Coming Soon (or never?)​

1. Autosteer on city streets
Basic Autopilot = Included
Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane. Advanced safety and convenience features are designed to assist you with the most burdensome parts of driving, alongside driver assistance features such as emergency braking, collision warning and blind-spot monitoring.

Just wondering the opinions...
If I started again, I would wait until EAP/FSD matures before buying. If I want it so badly, I could always rent it instantly for a month at a time.

I bought FSD, but I practically seldom use most functions: Navigation on Autopilot drives me crazy for its illogical lane choosing. I got honked by others if Autpark works at all. Too risky to Summon and Smart Summon. I do have FSD beta but I only use it to see how the progress is and then I turn it off.

So when will it be a good time to buy EAP/FSD? Take note on the timeline:

When Smart Summon will be sublime because that will improve the EAP as well (EAP=highway, not city streets).

Last edited:
Basic AP for me.
I just don't see any value in the FSD features at this time and the price is getting outrageous. Even though I could still add it to my order for $10,600 CAD (~$7600USD) I'm still not going to do it.
If I was in the US and had the subscription option, I'd certainly never pay these upfront prices. Because we don't have subscription in Canada I have considered adding FSD but still have decided not to do it since it doesn't follow the owner, just the car.

Basic AP for me.
I just don't see any value in the FSD features at this time and the price is getting outrageous. Even though I could still add it to my order for $10,600 CAD (~$7600USD) I'm still not going to do it.
If I was in the US and had the subscription option, I'd certainly never pay these upfront prices. Because we don't have subscription in Canada I have considered adding FSD but still have decided not to do it since it doesn't follow the owner, just the car.
I added EAP for $6,400 CAD couple months back and was thinking of adding FSD for an additional $4,700 more (as I’m able to get it for $10,600 CAD like yourself).

At this rate, I’m honestly thinking about removing EAP and changing to a MYP instead.

I wonder if FSD subscriptions will ever become available in Canada. And if they are, I bet won’t be the $199 (CAD equivalent to USD)…..if FSD continues to increase in price, I’d assume the monthly price would as well.

I have a car with nothing, another with EAP, and one with FSDb...
FSDb is a party trick - can't have wife in the car or have other cars behind me. I like tech, think it's cool, would maybe spend $50/month for the entertainment, definitely not $15k
EAP - I find it functional on the freeway. If you can figure out a way to eliminate the nag, it would almost be worth $2k. With the nag, it's simply an assist in driving, not a pseudo-autonomous vehicle
nothing: I thoroughly enjoy being in control of the vehicle and I choose my older Tesla for even longer drives bc it's still fun to drive

• Helpful
Reactions: jr_gn
Not totally sure what you’re suggesting, but if it’s that auto park and the summons aren’t part of the enhanced autopilot package, you’re wrong.

Those are coming soon(TM) for cars built after the announcement.

View attachment 861249

Those are coming soon(TM) for cars built after the announcement.
Oh. It would have been helpful for you to reference the ultrasonic sensor change so people have an idea of what you’re talking about.

As a very early Autopilot 2.0 customer, I share your skepticism/sarcasm RE “coming soon”. When I took delivery of my car right after the AP2 changeover I didn’t even have automatic headlights or screen dimming let alone a “full self driving” car. 😆

Change hardware now, figure sugar out layer. 👍🏻

My 2020 MY I got FSD. Now I have a 2022 MY and I just went with the standard included package and the few things I don’t get now are not worth $15k.

IMO Tesla should just include FSD with all their cars as a standard included feature and having the FSD spread out over all their car sales would just be a small cost addition to each car.

Also, anyone who decides to purch FSD while it's still in beta needs to be willing to wait an undefined amount of time for the general release
Good point. I would think the only reason to even consider FSD is for City Streets Beta and you don't even know when you will get accepted to that. I can't see people buying FSD at current prices just to get the car to stop at stoplights. That is the only feature you get over EAP other than potential Beta access.

Here's my take on having just "basic" AP on my Model Y Performance, coming off a 2016 Model S with AP 2.0 and a 2018 Model S with AP 3.0 and FSD:

Stick with the the "basic" AP. The only thing I miss from my 2018 MS is auto lane change. But, if I'm being honest, that was fluky at best.. and it may just be my muscle memory that even misses it. Right now, I just signal, change lanes, and pull down twice on the stalk to reengage autosteer... no big deal. I did have summon on my 2018 MS, but, again, I only got it to come to me once and that was in an empty parking lot with little to no obstructions around the car. Pulling the car out of parking spaces or my garage was, again, fluky at best... sometimes it worked flawlessly, most of the time it would pull 1/2 out and stop etc.

Tesla's basic AP is better than anything on the market, even if radar is no longer being used -- something I thought I would definitely notice (and do not).

My .02 Enjoy your ride!

Good point. I would think the only reason to even consider FSD is for City Streets Beta and you don't even know when you will get accepted to that. I can't see people buying FSD at current prices just to get the car to stop at stoplights. That is the only feature you get over EAP other than potential Beta access.
Just got back from a 500mi round trip and auto lane change was pretty much flawless. But yeah, summons needs work. Empty lots maybe, but the few times I tried it in a busy lot I gave up

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Buy TSLA with the $15k
I have a Model 3 with EAP and the only feature I use that is not in basic is NOA. I do like it on long trips, but it's not worth the current price. BTW when all the talk started about regular price hikes for FSD 3 years ago I used the $2000 the upgrade would have cost to but TSLA stock. Stock now pretty much pays for the Y I have on order (with basic AP). Though as a stockholder, I encourage everyone to buy FSD!

• Funny
Reactions: arbitrage000