Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Tesla advertise a bit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is very closed, even the owner's manual isn't up
to date. And that's starting to hurt I think.

The ignorance of the general public is in part related to Tesla's
circle the wagons siege mentality. It's been reflected in my own
encounters with The Natives, who say things like "yeah, but
you still have to put gas in it", and in the common anti-Tesla
sentiment that you can witness in "general automotive" Youtube
comments. And in occasionally kicked and key'ed parked Teslas.

Could a few 10 second ads on TV help remedy all that ?
-- I think luddites watch TV. Your thoughts?

Tesla is very closed, even the owner's manual isn't up
to date. And that's starting to hurt I think.

The ignorance of the general public is in part related to Tesla's
circle the wagons siege mentality. It's been reflected in my own
encounters with The Natives, who say things like "yeah, but
you still have to put gas in it", and in the common anti-Tesla
sentiment that you can witness in "general automotive" Youtube
comments. And in occasionally kicked and key'ed parked Teslas.

Could a few 10 second ads on TV help remedy all that ?
-- I think luddites watch TV. Your thoughts?
I agree, most other people don’t. A few strategic spots on TV would go a long way to dispelling the many misconceptions about Tesla.

A little bit of targeted advertising would probably be a good thing. Not hundreds of millions like the other guys though.

They should provide incentives to owners to show up at car shows, parades etc.

Every Xmas parade I’ve seen the last few years I think about a MX slow rolling with the Easter egg playing and the wings flying. It would be awesome. And I wish it was Tesla’s towing the floats instead of the loud ice trucks choking me with their exhaust.

If you can sell the numbers of product that you need to, no need to advertise. For a company the size of Tesla, advertising would probably require a $10M investment.

Like all updated electronics, your phone in particular, the manual consists of the manual plus release notes. The Tesla manuals are updated periodically, last update for model 3 less than 6 months ago.
Of course when so few people read the manual....

I'm leaning towards agreement with OP, if only to reach the potentially untapped market of folks who are curious about EV's but mainly get car buying advice from their "car guy" friends and TV ads.
With Tesla, to find out about them you have to dig deeper, scour Youtube, lurk on appropriate forums, etc., but again I believe there is a HUGE untapped market that Tesla now needs to reach via "traditional mainstream" advertising. If you're gonna pull demand levers, there is no bigger one than in-your-face passive advertising in between favorite TV shows...

Not advertise, training and education. I find most people don't understand the benefits of a Tesla and are so confused about reality.

So, how do you get people who are "confused about reality"
to attend these informative training and education sessions?
It's like getting them to read books, take fish oil or get measles shots.

Better luck with a few 10 second spots of shiny Model 3s leaving
muscle cars behind, with a techno beat and a vocoder vocal pounding something like ;-)
SEXY POWERFUL ELECTRIC CAR NO-POLLUTION CHEAP - TESLA!

Last edited:
For the most part, Tesla currently is able to sell everything they build without advertising. Increasing the demand at this point might make supply chain/delivery problems worse.

Advertising works because of repetition. Tesla would have to spend huge dollars over time which probably isn't in their best interest. I also think they now build cars for two different demographics. The S and X appeal to very different buyers than the 3.

Absolutely they need to advertise. I’ve been saying this for a while now and they have to do something. Most “regular” people still not know what a Tesla is, think BEVs have a range of around 100 miles and take 3 days to charge. They need educational ads but they also have to keep peoples attention. 10 second spots won’t do it. 30 at the least.

We as a community can only go so far and teach so many. They need to do their part as well.

We all think they are becoming mainstream because we see a few on the road, but the real reason we think they’re becoming mainstream is because we are “IN IT”. We eat, sleep and breather Tesla and EVs.

Young kids for sure do know what a Tesla is, but the people that can potentially afford one... not so much.

Get out there and show people what’s up Tesla. No need to be shy, you’ve come this far.

I would start with something like this and then make some that highlight range and how real world charging works (again, most people think you charge like you gas up and we all know that is far from the truth)

If you can sell the numbers of product that you need to, no need to advertise. For a company the size of Tesla, advertising would probably require a $10M investment.

Like all updated electronics, your phone in particular, the manual consists of the manual plus release notes. The Tesla manuals are updated periodically, last update for model 3 less than 6 months ago.
Of course when so few people read the manual....
Tesla needs to sell more, that is no secret. They are no longer at the point where demand outstrips supply. They need an online presence with ads if not print media as well. Most people view them as a niche company selling luxury vehicles. Audi/VW will be blanketing the Web/TV, I think Tesla is missing an opportunity to get ahead of it.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia