Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Tesla be worried about the Taycan?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cool story but where do I charge it if I am going to LA to Vegas? Or LA to San Francisco?

What if I wanted to sit back and crack open a cold one while I let the car drive itself for awhile?

Taycan is being reviewed in a bubble with no in depth comparisons to the Model S that might actually influence a decision.

Motor Trend is not Tesla Trend. They have to hype every single thing so they get subs and clicks.

How much was the iPace talked about? Total flop in the end.

How much was the Bolt talked about? A lot, but annihilated by the Model 3 in the end.

What I don't like:

- No one pedal driving. The Taycan employs regen similar to the Prius. When you release the accelerator, it just coasts. To use regen you have to hit the brake pedal lightly. More pressure on the pedal will use the hydraulic brakes.

- ~230mile range :(

- As the previous poster stated, no real charging infrastructure. Some Porsche dealers will be installing some L3 chargers, but they're still few and far between.

- No autopilot or equiv L2 driving assist

Other than these deal breakers (for me), it seems like a pretty cool car.

If by "worried" you mean "will the Taycan peel off some non-zero percentage of potential Model S buyers?" then the answer is certainly yes.

However, and I've said this multiple times now, Tesla has been pretty clear that selling $100k cars to rich people was a necessary detour, not a long-term business strategy. 3 and Y are the obvious future of the company, and you don't need to spend a lot of time looking at where they're placing their resources these days to read the writing on the wall.

Additional high end EV cars is a good thing. It supports Tesla's vision that there is a demand for electric cars and further moves them in to the mainstream, not a gadget. That will lead to a variety of improvements for all of us. Off the top of my head. more charging infrastructure, better laws around ICE cars blocking charging spots, innovation by other brands that force Telsa to catch up on some things (media player, phone integration).

The other automakers are so far behind it's ridiculous. I mean no one is even close. I feel as if the 3 big could make a run at it... Just because they could use their stealerships as charge points...

But Porsche... What the heck would you do for charging while traveling. Fight with the locals at the mall for a spot to charge. Not going to happen... Just saying someone who just for down 150k on a Porsche is going to have to wait until that leaf or bolt moves.... LOL

When I talk to people about my Tesla (aside from the fact that I just LOVE my car), what I say that really sets them apart is the infrastructure. How long will it take any other manufacturer(s) before they have a comparable charging network?

Agree, but if anyone is even trying to make headway here, it's VW/Porsche by way of Electrify America.

I am curious: why is everyone obsessed with pointing out infrastructure as a "problem"? They can build a really good infra in a year with enough money. And I am sure they will, it's not like they aren't aware of this being an obstacle.

The real killer for me here is less range, these cars still don't come even close to Tesla range. Like, Audi said e-tron GT should have 240 miles of range? A car that will be released in 2 years? It sounds like a joke when you think about the range that 85 kwh Teslas had 7 years ago.

Why would Tesla worry? Their bet is on the 3, Y, and pickup now. They knew competition would come in the S and X markets, and it has. They got the 3 out in time and in enough volume to move their chits. S and X will sell as niche cars with lower segment market share. Until Tesla decides to update and reassert in that segment.

Reactions: Erleichda
wtf is that range at that price. Give me a break. I thought this thing was supposed to have good range...

I don't think range was ever a primary Taycan design directive. It just needed to be "good enough".

It is, after all, a Porsche. Presumably people buying this car are going to be placing an emphasis on handling and performance.

I am curious: why is everyone obsessed with pointing out infrastructure as a "problem"? They can build a really good infra in a year with enough money. And I am sure they will, it's not like they aren't aware of this being an obstacle.

The real killer for me here is less range, these cars still don't come even close to Tesla range. Like, Audi said e-tron GT should have 240 miles of range? A car that will be released in 2 years? It sounds like a joke when you think about the range that 85 kwh Teslas had 7 years ago.

A year? How do you figure? Maybe you are assuming some sort of partnership with an existing company, but otherwise... you have to find the locations that are suitable. You have to enter into agreements. You have to get the requisite permits and then you have to build.

Tesla has more than 12,000 SC world wide at more than 1,400 locations. Just think of the time it would take to source 1,400 locations that want chargers?

I totally agree with you on the range as well, I just think that is an easier fix than the infrastructure. My car came with a 290 mile range (at 100%) and at -30 celcius, that goes down to under 180 miles. The Taycan would be a 140 mile range car in a good Canadian winter.

Cool story but where do I charge it if I am going to LA to Vegas? Or LA to San Francisco?

How about at some of these ... at about 0.3 Gigawatt as opposed to up to 120kW?

abrp.png

What if I wanted to sit back and crack open a cold one while I let the car drive itself for awhile?

You do that in the Model S/X currently and manage to stay out of jail?

Taycan is being reviewed in a bubble with no in depth comparisons to the Model S that might actually influence a decision.
Motor Trend is not Tesla Trend. They have to hype every single thing so they get subs and clicks.

So then, really no difference between them writing about the new shiny Porsche vs the new shiny Tesla some time ago. Right?

Anyway, while in a way admirable, this blind brand loyalty will not keep the lights on for long. Tesla has a lot of catching up to do at the top end of the market and it has run out of time. It would be fantastic if they had some super-secret Model S revamp, just ready to hit production, but there's a slim chance of that. They can no longer compete at that price point, they know that and that's probably why there has been no investment in the S/X duo in a long time. The best they can do is kill it with the Model Y at some $40K+ and hope that's enough to avoid disaster.

@TeeEmCee - I'm a bit confused by your map. What does it show? I am assuming that it shows some high powered charger? What kind? How many stations? Where are they located? Are they free or paid? Is there any notice of how busy they are prior to your arrival?

Are they from the same company? If they are paid, how do they accept payment?