Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Show of hands… Adaptive Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many new Model S owners out there can actually FEEL the difference between “Sport” and “Comfort “? I know I can’t.… even though Tesla Service says it is functioning normally. No matter what I do with the suspension controls, my ride is the same… punishingly harsh. Yet, from these forums and YouTube, I see that many of you think the suspension is great. As this is probably one of the most sophisticated suspensions ever put in a car, I have trouble believing that mine is “functioning normally “. I think the key objective question here is “can you actually FEEL a difference in ride quality when you change suspension modes?” (By ”feel” I mean you KNOW it changed, if you just THINK it changed then it didn’t). It would really help me and, I know, a number of others out there to find out if our suspensions are screwed up or if that’s just the way they are. Thanks for any input you can provide.

Thank you! You are doing the heavy lifting.
No numbers disappeared or ever appeared. After I click Advanced the "white shadow" appears but everything remains blank before and after clicking. No numbers under Ride Comfort and not under Handling. And the car is on.
You stated “Ride Comfort, Soft thru Firm: 0. 4. 4. 8. 20" yet I do not see your numbers in your example. Am I missing something?
The numbers appear in the “suspension info“ section above…. The same place that the numbers showed up for “Sport“ and “comfort“.

Upvote 0
I took delivery of my MSLR in December of 2021 and my suspension settings don’t change the feel - all of them are very stiff, and even more so in the winter (I’m in MN). Is there any screen data I can provide to further this effort to resolve this?
Look at thread 9… (I have no idea why this forum app keeps splitting off new sub-threads) I describe how to take the readings.

Upvote 0
I received software update 2022.20.5 the other day. Since it included a new feature enhancing the Adaptive Ride Control, I had hoped that Tesla would use it as “cover“ for fixing the bug. It would make it easier for them to explain the sudden improvement in everybody’s ride without admitting that there had been a bug. Of course, I was disappointed.… no change in ride quality. Renders the new feature completely useless doesn’t it? I still believe, however, that the “forces“ at work here (potential litigation, warranty satisfaction, competition) will nudge Tesla to ultimately fix the problem. The costs of doing nothing are potentially large, versus the small cost of fixing the bug. In the meantime I think I may have stumbled upon a quick, easy method of determining if a particular car has a working Adjustable Ride Control or not. When I did the measurements of the pulse width modulated signal sent to the shock solenoids (see my video, referenced above) I noticed that what was labeled “percentage damping“ under suspension info EXACTLY matched the “duty cycle“ of the PWM signal that I measured…. For ALL SEVEN of the ride comfort settings! (Duty Cycle being the pulse width expressed as a percentage of maximum). In other words, I measured a pulse width of 20% of maximum, and the display read “damping percentage 20%. Of course, “damping percentage” and PWM Duty Cycle are completely different animals… 0% damping equals 100% duty cycle, and conversely. Nevertheless, an exact match for Comfort, Sport, and all 5 of the Ride Comfort settings is too much to ignore. It appears that the measurements that I had to obtain using an oscilloscope are displayed directly on the “suspension info“ screen! To test this theory, I need to know what YOUR displays read. If we can prove that cars with working suspensions show DIFFERENT percentages than cars with non-working suspensions, we might be able to take THAT to Service and get some satisfaction. Here’s what to do:
get in your car, go to this screen:View attachment 829539tap the brake to activate the suspension, then select “Comfort “ and read the Front Left Compression Damping number… write it down. Now read the same number after selecting “Sport “, then tap “Advanced “ and select “Ride Comfort “ and record the numbers for the 5 settings “Soft“ thru “Firm”. Here’s what mine reads: Comfort: 0. Sport: 28. “Ride Comfort, Soft thru Firm: 0. 4. 4. 8. 20.
PLEASE reply to this post with your results. Give your cars’ year and model AND your delivery date! If your results are the same as mine, just say so, but if they’re different, I’m really interested to know what they are. I’m hoping to get some replies from those of you with working suspensions. The readings will only take a minute to get! PLEASE HELP! Thanks!
Here are my numbers: Comfort: 0. Sport: 28. “Ride Comfort, Soft thru Firm: 0. 0. 4. 8. 20. - 2020 LR, Built and delivered December 2021.

Upvote 0
Different setting bring different firmness sensation. Beyond that, I can't say.
Ed, would you please post the suspension info. numbers for your car? Also, when did the suspension change? Was it after a software update? Which one? Include your model, year, and delivery date. This is very important as I need to know if a car that rides differently from mine shows different numbers. My post (I think it’s in sub-thread 9) tells which numbers to record. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Someone needs to tweet Elon to get this issue attention. A $100k+ 'luxury EV' should not ride like this IMO, it's embarrassing...
Absolutely! But we need to tweet something more than just “I don’t like the ride.”… it has to be an unambiguous, measurable flaw, like the suspension info numbers I’m trying to gather (thank you very much for yours BTW). SO, EVERYONE, PLEASE post your numbers! Especially if you have a suspension that works. I still haven’t proven that this approach works yet… I need to get more data before I can initiate a larger survey.

Upvote 0
S

Attachments

• 041CA969-4C0F-4B7C-BDD0-158F8440D3C6.jpeg
    041CA969-4C0F-4B7C-BDD0-158F8440D3C6.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 39DFD513-8BAB-49FF-90C0-73AC875D814D.jpeg
    39DFD513-8BAB-49FF-90C0-73AC875D814D.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 81EBC37B-0F0C-49C8-B039-2242027FB286.jpeg
    81EBC37B-0F0C-49C8-B039-2242027FB286.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 55ECD15C-10A5-4A4F-8BEB-7239776220AD.jpeg
    55ECD15C-10A5-4A4F-8BEB-7239776220AD.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 8A4F7B97-2879-4637-9DAB-B841084F9C04.jpeg
    8A4F7B97-2879-4637-9DAB-B841084F9C04.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 74
  • DC43774D-1C2F-4816-A38A-1502E53E2A8A.jpeg
    DC43774D-1C2F-4816-A38A-1502E53E2A8A.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 929CD018-3030-4069-B51C-7A947DAD399F.jpeg
    929CD018-3030-4069-B51C-7A947DAD399F.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0
The difference between all the way firm and all the way soft is pretty subtle, but its definetly there. I think the Op is just expecting too much, this isn't a mag suspension after all.

Here are my numbers:

Comfort: 0
Sport: 28
Advanced (Ride Comfort - Soft thru Firm): 0. 0. 0. 8. 20
2021 MS LR, Delivered July 2021
Mine are pretty much the same when stopped, when moving I've seen upwards of 60%

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0
The difference between all the way firm and all the way soft is pretty subtle, but its definetly there. I think the Op is just expecting too much, this isn't a mag suspension after all.

Mine are pretty much the same when stopped, when moving I've seen upwards of 60%
I, like many others who have been in my car, simply feel no difference. Also, I think we are basing our expectations on what Tesla states in the owners manual.

“Adaptive Suspension Damping

The settings associated with Adaptive Suspension Damping provide real-time adjustments to the suspension system to optimize both ride and handling. Choose from:

• Comfort - Provides a gentler ride for a relaxed driving experience.
  • Auto - Adjusts to a wide range of roads and driving styles, providing a fluid yet well controlled ride.
  • Sport - Provides a firmer, more controlled ride that increases driver engagement and connection to the road.
  • Advanced - Can be used to fine tune the suspension by dragging individual sliders that adjust Ride Comfort and Handling. “

Reactions: mcirish
Upvote 0
I did some more testing with my oscilloscope today. I still have a wire tapped into the left front shock solenoid. I connected the scope up and powered it with a battery inverter. I then drove around watching to make sure that the Pulse Width Modulated voltage operating the shock solenoids matched the number labeled “Percent Damping“ on the Suspension Info screen.…. Sure enough! It tracked perfectly! This confirms my suspicion… the “Percent Damping“ numbers are not damping percentages at all, In fact, they are “Percent Duty Cycle“ of the PWM voltages! I can’t imagine how, or why this is so, but it is a happy accident. Just knowing those numbers tells you, unambiguously, how the Adjustable Ride Control will work. It’s as if EVERYONE has an oscilloscope hooked up to their car! I think that the best way to think of these numbers now is “Percentage Softness“. Ie. 0% Softness is as stiff as the shock will get… 100% Softness is as soft as it will get. What I need to do now is to find a working car. Everyone on this thread is here because their systems DON’T work. Therefore, I plan to start a new thread with a wider audience in hope of understanding what a working system looks like, and how extensive the problem is.

Upvote 0