Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shrieking sunroof

Patrick W

Mar 17, 2015
SLC, UT
Definitely what can be called a "first world problem" but anytime when at highway speed and I open the sunroof to just beyond the vent position (typically 12-15%) there is a very loud, shrieking wind noise. And I do mean REALLY loud.

Also happens anytime the roof passes through that range when opening further or when closing.

Anyone else getting this?

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Definitely what can be called a "first world problem" but anytime when at highway speed and I open the sunroof to just beyond the vent position (typically 12-15%) there is a very loud, shrieking wind noise. And I do mean REALLY loud.

Also happens anytime the roof passes through that range when opening further or when closing.

Anyone else getting this?

Normal

Anytime the wind barrier is lowered at highspeed it's gonna roar!

steph280

Feb 10, 2015
Orange, CA
I don't know if it's normal, as it doesn't do it with any other cars I've been in. But then again none of the other car's sunroof are as big as MS'.

invisik

Supporting Member
Mar 13, 2014
Minneapolis
I don't know if it's normal, as it doesn't do it with any other cars I've been in. But then again none of the other car's sunroof are as big as MS'.

It seems to be normal for the Model S, but I also have never experienced it quite so harshly in any other car. As a result, I never open the sunroof. It's kinda sad.

-m

jerry33

(S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20
Mar 8, 2012
Texas
It's normal, at 20% it goes away. It happens because the sunroof opens out rather than in.

CHG-ON

Still in love after all these miles
Jun 24, 2014
Santa Cruz Mountains, USA
It's because they are using that fabric screen rather than a solid piece of plastic, which I am seeing on more and more cars. Don't really get the idea behind it. It is loud at open/close and collects all sorts of bugs and stuff. Very hard to clean.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC