Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Side cameras on when backing up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My daughter got a model X today, but due to covid the training supplied by the delivery team was minimal. She and her husband have so many questions, which fall to dad (me) who is an engineer, but never owned or even driven a Tesla!

Most important, since they have a tight squeeze when parking in their garage: Is there a way to have the parking assist visual, with a side cameras come on the big center screen each time she puts the the car in reverse? She figured out how to do it manually with two selections on the big screen, but she doesn't want to have to do it every time she put the car in reverse.

So, is there a way to have the default view on the big screen be parking assist visual (the outline of the car) and the side cameras every time the car is in reverse, just like the rear camera view does.

If I understand correctly the OP is asking to have the side cameras up on the “backup” view when driving forward. I don’t think you can. I tried, but not that hard. You can have the backup camera up while driving forward (very handy sometimes) but it doesn’t have that option to enable the side cameras like the backup config does. It’s a slightly different window having backup camera up while driving foreword vs when backing up. I could be wrong though. I suspect it’s too distracting and takes up to much screen real estate.

My daughter got a model X today, but due to covid the training supplied by the delivery team was minimal. She and her husband have so many questions, which fall to dad (me) who is an engineer, but never owned or even driven a Tesla!

Most important, since they have a tight squeeze when parking in their garage: Is there a way to have the parking assist visual, with a side cameras come on the big center screen each time she puts the the car in reverse? She figured out how to do it manually with two selections on the big screen, but she doesn't want to have to do it every time she put the car in reverse.

So, is there a way to have the default view on the big screen be parking assist visual (the outline of the car) and the side cameras every time the car is in reverse, just like the rear camera view does.

Once you activate the side cameras in reverse, that becomes the default for reverse. If you manually activate the rear camera at any other time, you have to touch the button for the side cameras each time. It does not set up a default for manual activation.

Reactions: spectrum