Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Side Collision Avoidance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GregRF

Squirrel Power
Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2014
CA
The car takes evasive maneuvers!

I know I've read some anecdotes on here about this, but couldn't find much doing a search so I thought I'd start a dedicated thread on this feature.

Yesterday I was driving down a divided freeway traveling in the left lane in crowded but normal speed traffic. A motorcycle came from behind splitting some traffic and past me on the right (at this point there was no car adjacent to me). I didn't notice from the mirrors if he got too close to me, but the car decided he was too close. I got a beep and the steering wheel did a quick jerk to the left. This came as a surprise to me, but I had two hands on the wheel and immediately fought the wheel a bit, but it probably managed to move the car over a little less than a foot in the lane.

After regaining control I looked at the screen for any message about what happened, but there was either no message or it had cleared by the time I looked.

Looking around here I found in the S and X forums this is called Side Collision Avoidance, the 3 manual doesn't call it this, but in the Lane Assist section describes this:

"In addition to the warnings previously described, Lane Assist may provide steering interventions if Model 3 drifts into (or close to) an adjacent lane in which an object, such as a vehicle, is detected. In these situations, Model 3 automatically steers to a safer position in its driving lane. This steering is applied only when Model 3 is traveling between 30 and 85 mph (48 and 140 km/h) on major roadways with clearly visible lane markings. When Lane Assist applies a steering intervention, the touchscreen briefly displays a warning message"

An interesting safety feature. Just know that this may happen to you!

Also want to highlight this is on all Model 3's, my car does not have EAP nor FSD.

I remember reading somewhere on this forum that the car remains within the boundaries of the lane when taking evasive action, so the risk should be minimal even if the driver is not paying attention. I'd love to hear from drivers with experience with side collision avoidance (calling S/X drivers...) on the behavior of the evasive action when there are surrounding cars and whether the car automatically recenters itself in the lane afterward.

Here's a good save on a wintery freeway:
Tesla Model 3's emergency braking system saves driver from icy collision

The driver of the Model 3 producing the dash cam footage says he felt the Model 3 apply braking before he swerved to avoid the spun-out car. So this is probably not an example of automatic side-collision avoidance but the advantage of scrubbing some speed off early in the event shouldn't be overlooked.

I've turned off lane departure warning (vibrating steering wheel) so I hope that doesn't affect lane assist steering intervention.