TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Signature vs. GP nose cone

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by KBF, Dec 3, 2012.

1. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Fwiw my sig has the rubbed cone, not the smooth one

2. roblab

roblab Active Member

Dunno. Here's a pic with the panel removed. The red cover on the post shows the pos battery connection, but the battery is elsewhere. Please ignore Signature gaps and bugs.

Nose battery connections 004 sm.JPG

3. contaygious

contaygious Member

FYI I asked about the nose cone change at the factory and was told it is for aesthetic reasons and they were surprised when it changed after sigs already shipped.

4. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Did you remove the panel yourself? I'm thinking that maybe that the all of the pieces of the nose cone snap into place as this piece does. If so, it will make installation of a number of things much easier. What do you think?

5. roblab

roblab Active Member

Yes, using a very dull butter knife. It just pops out with no effort. You can see where the clips seat.

I think they did it for simplicity and cost (duh). I would think the whole nose would snap out and off easily. It gives access to things like frunk latch, wiring, etc. One piece is a lot cheaper than 3-5 pieces.

6. dtich

dtich #P708

hey, little thought for threads like this: i find it incredibly helpful to know the prod seq # and vin (if avail) when discussing differing aspects of delivered models, for tracking production changes.. would be great if those of you who don't have your prod # and vin in your signature or member dets (on the left with avatar) could include such in your posts.. esp those with pics.

thanks!

7. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Well, we compared mine with another local model S that had been delivered about 2 weeks earlier, and the nose cone is the same. So it appears the dividing line might be production vs. sig.

8. Vger

Vger Active Member

Here is a comparison between the "old" nose, from one of Tesla's studio shots,
    Old Model S Nose.png

and the "new" nose on my (as yet undelivered) Canadian Signature (VIN S02001):
    Ruby Nose.jpeg

In addition to being aesthetically cleaner, the new nose should be aerodynamically cleaner, in a crucial spot-- the first part of the car to touch the wind.

9. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Thanks. Great to know. This means installation of the Passport radar detector and Blinder laser jammers will be much easier. I'm also thinking my EZPass transponder can attached under one of the upper nose cone plastic pieces.

10. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Makes you wonder why that change wasn't made sooner.

11. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

The timing may have been supplier related.

Also, isn't the chrome line all across (including the V under the T logo) more pronounced/wider than it was before?

12. Vger

Vger Active Member

I noticed that also.

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Generally I like the look of the new cone better, but I wish they had kept the "bent emblem". The new one looks it is flat rather than following the curvature.

14. David-El

David-El Model S - P3078

They probably didn't want anyone to confuse it with a Bentley... (cue groans)

15. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Just to add a more edge-on view of what's been posted already (Get Amped Series Sig)...

IMG_1275m.jpg

16. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

It might be that this picture explains the reason for the change to the new nosecone. If Tesla had originally intended to have a grill for the two upper pieces but then later discovered that the extra ventilation was not needed then switched to solid pieces for more aerodynamics. Then finally they switched to the current one piece for simplicity and even greater aerodynamics.

17. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Courtesy of Tesla service, here's an exploded view of the nose cone parts. If someone with the car (mine won't be delivered until April or May, otherwise I'd do it now) can pry off the large lower piece and photograph what's behind it, that would be a great help for all of use who are wondering if we can install a toll transponder in the space behind the nose cone.

Screen Shot 2012-12-11 at 8.09.28 AM.png

18. NielsChr

NielsChr Member

the new one piece front cone looks more "burgler" proff - the one where you simply snap out a litle piece of plastic with a simple tool seams not safe - specifically if this gives you acess to shorten/discornect the 12 volt system and open the frunk latch.
    if someone needs access to the frunk, nothing will prevent them from gain access in less than 1 min. ....I do hope the frunk is equiped with some sort of alarm censor (I might be to worryed, so please ignore my posting)
    Models S is a fast performance car, I guess some young poeple would like to take it for a quick spin, better make it damm difficult for them to get into it.

19. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I think entries without the Fob will set off all kinds of fireworks.

20. DaveVa

DaveVa Sig Perf #236 VIN #484

Has anyone tried to put their EZPass transponder in this area of the nosecone?