Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

silly question maybe but....Isnt 1.9 sec kind of harmful?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I agree with that - it varies.

I wouldn't expect black-outs, but I would expect some "freak-outs!"

Some will will find physical discomfort, and not want to do it again.
Others will find exhilaration and find it addictive.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18 and Jaff
what i meant is thats its uncomfortable feeling for me and thats at the lowley uncorked 75d!!....i dont need any faster. Already paid way too much for that car to begin with
Then don’t buy it..
I don’t understand the point of this thread, if someone can’t handle or doesn’t like the acceleration... can’t they just not buy the car? I don’t think tesla is forcing anyone into purchasing the roadster and mashing the pedal from each stop

We just uncorked out 75d and the 0-60 takeoff can make us kind of queasy in the stomach. I cant imagine 1.9 or 1.5 and how that would make me feel. I mean its cool and all but even before uncorking the 75d was very fast to us and faster then the majority of cars on the roads...but after uncorking its even more off the hook but makes us uneasy inside and light headed.

Perhaps you can ask Tesla to undo the uncorking?

We just uncorked out 75d and the 0-60 takeoff can make us kind of queasy in the stomach. I cant imagine 1.9 or 1.5 and how that would make me feel. I mean its cool and all but even before uncorking the 75d was very fast to us and faster then the majority of cars on the roads...but after uncorking its even more off the hook but makes us uneasy inside and light headed.

I have a P100D, and have made myself queazy a few times after driving aggressively, but the thing that changed it for me was being fortunate enough to receive a test drive from a professional race car driver at the Tesla factory track during the model 3 event and he gave some fantastic advice... the obvious thing that most people know is not to look down while driving too much, but especially during acceleration and deceleration. The other interesting tidbit I received was that motion sickness is usually caused by braking more than the accelerating and to try your best to slow down before entering a curve, not during... I thought I could push my car pretty hard until that dude went though a slalom and I was absolutely shocked by how hard the car could turn back and forth without losing traction.... Turns out I don't drive my car hard at all.....

So this probably doesn't answer your questions.... and it may all seem a little silly to launch that fast, but then again, why do so many folks like roller coasters? That sort of dopamine release is pleasant for most people but not all.

It's not likely bad for you at all until you get to massive acceleration and deceleration that would make the 1.9 seconds in the roadster feel like some wrong version of chill mode.... If your head is a against the seat, or if you are expecting it, it's extremely unlikely to do damage..... My guess is that you would need to be going about 4 times faster to be concussed, but even that may be too slow.

Looking at the Tread question that came to my mind:

In the 1860 and 70's when trains became more and more popular in the UK a couple of Doctors warned and claimed that a train that drives faster than 80 km/h (50 m/h) would kill people immediately because the blood would start to boil. :)

I have been driving cars around 260 km/h on autobahns here in Germany and can say its not fun simply if anybody makes an mistake at a distance you cannot look up to yet you have no chance to react and therefore the top speed of the R2 is rather something for racing areas like the Nuernbergring or so.

The online calculator I found suggested that the acceleration to go from 0 to 60 in 1.9 seconds is about 14.1 m/sec^2.
That is not even 1.5 G's (one G is about 9.8 m/sec^2).

We pull up to 9 G's in F-16's, and even 3 G's don't phase most people (seat is slightly tilted back to ameliorate the downward vector).

Some good explanations bout accelerations and deceleration are presented in this video:
How Koenigsegg Destroyed Bugatti's World Record (0-400-0 KPH)
See the explanations @ 4:00 - the Bugatti Chiron 0 to 100 km/h was +1.18 G and 400 km/h to 0 was -1.28 G

If you want to experience even greater accelerations I would recommend riding a roller coaster, such as
the Dodonpa in Japan, with the highest launch acceleration of 2.7 G
or the Millennium Force in Sandusky, Ohio, with a stomach-churning 300ft drop of 4.5 G.

Hi All,
I have just an observation from personal experience. No scientific evidence nor finger pointing.
I have a MX 100D and had to take it in for service and they loaned me a MS P90D. Needless to say I was having fun with ludicrous mode. I had the loaner for about 7 days. Around day 6 I started to get sick and long story short I had to have my gall bladder removed due to a lot of stones blockage. Not sure if the acceleration was forcing stones in places is should not be or just nature.
My next loaner hopefully will be the same. Good Times.

Reactions: Silent Ludicrosy
That is such a sad commentary on American education...

The rest of your post is well reasoned.
LOL

Having been a mathematics major as an undergrad with lots of physics under my belt, I could have figured it out longhand, but when time is short (I have work to do!) the online calculator is a great time saver! Nothing wrong with efficiency. :)

I've taken a fighter pilot for a ride in my Model S, and he said that even though in my P85 it's less than 1g the straight-line g-force acceleration phases him. When you're in a jet fighter the g-forces are pushing you down, not back.

Just one anecdotal point of data. Add salt.
As a USAF flight surgeon, I have flown in F-16s and F-15s. There acceleration front to back in a Model S (or my Roadster) is nothing like the G-forces pushing you down when you pull G's. Not even close. It is something like going to afterburner on take-off where you do have a high front-to-back acceleration, but there is nothing about that direction that should physiologically cause you to pass out. It might feel like a lot because it is unexpected or someone isn't used to it, but front to back acceleration at this level should not significantly reduce blood flow to the brain and cause light-headedness or passing out. I just feels way cool!

Reactions: austinmichaeld
Not enough Gs to black out, and they are side-on which leaves blood in the brain.
It's downward Gs that cause a blackout, and upward Gs that cause a red-out.

However, the Gs can act like a tilt-table test and could cause a vasovagal blackout in susceptible people.
322671.jpg
I don't see how front-to-back G's could act like a tilt table. The way the tilt table gets some dizzy is you are lying down and they suddenly stand you up. This causes blood to run downward due to gravity and if your arterial system doesn't clamp down fast enough and keep your blood pressure up, there is less blood going to your brain and you black out. The tilt table is more like G's directed from the head down to the feet and not like G's directed front to back.