Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

silly question maybe but....Isnt 1.9 sec kind of harmful?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just uncorked out 75d and the 0-60 takeoff can make us kind of queasy in the stomach. I cant imagine 1.9 or 1.5 and how that would make me feel. I mean its cool and all but even before uncorking the 75d was very fast to us and faster then the majority of cars on the roads...but after uncorking its even more off the hook but makes us uneasy inside and light headed.

There are (at least) two issues of concern:
1. Jerk; the "kick" when the car launches. An issue with current "P" Teslas and could very well be one with the Roadster
2. G force during acceleration. If you want to get to 60 in <2 seconds, there's not much you can do about this.

A queasy stomach is tolerable. Blacking out is not. Hopefully,Tesla understands this risk and is considering how to engage their self-driving technology to keep people safe.

Perhaps the Roadster will have a "Chill" mode that produces a smooth progressive acceleration to 60 in a relatively lethargic 3 seconds.

The online calculator I found suggested that the acceleration to go from 0 to 60 in 1.9 seconds is about 14.1 m/sec^2. That is not even 1.5 G's (one G is about 9.8 m/sec^2). We pull up to 9 G's in F-16's, and even 3 G's don't phase most people (seat is slightly tilted back to ameliorate the downward vector). I don't think it sounds like that much in comparison). Also, in the F-16, the G forces tend to be pushing down from your head into your abdomen/butt, which is what makes people black out. Most don't black out at 3 G's even with the G's directed in the optimal direction to promote blacking out. So I don't think 1.44 G's pressing you straight back into your seat should come anywhere close to causing a blackout.

I had a friend do a test drive of a MS with Ludicrous. He indicated that he ask the Telsa employee to show him what the car can do (after his test drive). He indicated that he blacked out for a moment during the launch. If a MS can do that, I imagine the new Roadster can do more.

"Where there is great power there is great responsibility..."

The online calculator I found suggested that the acceleration to go from 0 to 60 in 1.9 seconds is about 14.1 m/sec^2. That is not even 1.5 G's (one G is about 9.8 m/sec^2). We pull up to 9 G's in F-16's, and even 3 G's don't phase most people (seat is slightly tilted back to ameliorate the downward vector).

I've taken a fighter pilot for a ride in my Model S, and he said that even though in my P85 it's less than 1g the straight-line g-force acceleration phases him. When you're in a jet fighter the g-forces are pushing you down, not back.

Just one anecdotal point of data. Add salt.

Yes - all high-g thrill rides and rollercoasters should be neutered with immediate effect.

Carousels and tea-cup rides - that's the future. :)

But a car is not the equivalent of being strapped into a rail-gun at the fair, where you have no control.

I think it's reasonable for Tesla to assume that if you're in the market for a hypercar then a "I want my Mommy / Bring it on" option screen is pointless. The entire car screams "Bring it On!"

Yet even if Plaid is the default whenever you turn the car on, it's not like you HAVE to use it. You still have full control of your right foot. (And there will be logs to prove that)

Tesla owners can choose to press pedals and grin at the same time - it's a thing ;)

But I predict that Big Auto will turn into Concern Trolls over this. They will finance "research" that says that the human body/eye/brain is impaired by 0-60 times of less than 2 seconds on a level equivalent to some concerning amount of alcohol. Because - concern. And of course a few owners will wrap them around trees and stick them into ditches, which will deepen the concern of all those with vested interests.

Last edited:
We just uncorked out 75d and the 0-60 takeoff can make us kind of queasy in the stomach. I cant imagine 1.9 or 1.5 and how that would make me feel. I mean its cool and all but even before uncorking the 75d was very fast to us and faster then the majority of cars on the roads...but after uncorking its even more off the hook but makes us uneasy inside and light headed.

Get them to stick the cork back in then. ;)

You will get used to it. I vaguely remember reading about people complaining about the first steam trains and automobiles in the same way. The simple truth is it will become the norm and in the future cars will be even faster (and hopefully even more able to predict and prevent accidents).

Not enough Gs to black out, and they are side-on which leaves blood in the brain.
It's downward Gs that cause a blackout, and upward Gs that cause a red-out.

However, the Gs can act like a tilt-table test and could cause a vasovagal blackout in susceptible people.
322671.jpg