Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Silver AWD configurations and deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today at this event Model 3 Delivery Experience in Fremont there were multiple silver Dual Motor (non Performance) cars available. I know this because I drove one home. :D VIN 99XXX manufacture date 8/18/. Fantastic car! No detectable paint or cosmetic flaws of any kind. I am thrilled! Now charging in my driveway.

AA81D8E1-CED5-48B3-99F4-ED7DF0DE489F.jpeg

Today at this event Model 3 Delivery Experience in Fremont there were multiple silver Dual Motor (non Performance) cars available. I know this because I drove one home. :D VIN 99XXX manufacture date 8/18/. Fantastic car! No detectable paint or cosmetic flaws of any kind. I am thrilled! Now charging in my driveway.

View attachment 333574
Congrats! Out of curiosity, how did the delivery event go? Did they assign you a car once you RSVP'd or did you just arrive and have to go searching for a car to claim?

Also, any noticeable QC issues with your car so far?

Out of curiosity, how did the delivery event go? Did they assign you a car once you RSVP'd or did you just arrive and have to go searching for a car to claim?
And that is a topic for a different thread. ;) See my post #235 in this thread
Model 3 Delivery Experience in Fremont
I never got an email from Tesla about that delivery event in Fremont, I found out about it Saturday afternoon on TMC and was there at 0830 Sunday looking at all the Model 3’s in the parking lot at the event well before they started checking people in. Found what I wanted, waited in line, went through the process, and left the event at 1025 with my car. Totally worth the trip!

any noticeable QC issues with your car so far?
As I noted in my post just above, my 3 has no detectable paint or cosmetic flaws of any kind. Inside or outside. I examined it very carefully before signing the paperwork. And I’m the guy who started a thread about the 3 headlights not being flush with the bumper after feeling that issue with my fingers on dozens of 3’s. My 3 is good. Headlights are within 2-3mm of being symmetrical and flush with the bumper. I have no complaints.

View attachment 333574

That Silver looks good! Often I see dirty cars and the silver looks really dull. Hope I could keep my as clean as yours.

Reserved 3/31/16, online, not previous owner
Ordered 8/29/18
Received ready for shipment email from IAD 9/5/18
Contacted by delivery scheduling team 9/10/18
Confirmed delivery date 9/21/18

Long Range All-Wheel Drive
Midnight Silver Metallic Paint
18’’ Aero Wheels
Premium Interior
Premium Black
Enhanced Autopilot

View attachment 333574

It's my build! Why did I have to be scheduled for 9/28 delivery when my build was in the shop?

Nice car anyway!

What are you talking about? Haven't heard anything about this except for what you're saying

Every single mass market automobile comes in Silver.

They just don't want to produce it for the time being in the quest to hit Q3/Q4 profitability.

No one heard anything about AWD being too cheap when I said it was the case as well and the price would rise.

In any case, its not like the option has completely gone away yet so people can still make their move.

I'm disinclined to trust Electrek anymore. Is there another source?
I have found Electrek reporting to be very reliable.

Tesla to eliminate some paint options to increase production efficiency, gives last chance to order

From a Tesla email to Model 3 reservation holders and others, quote: “In order to increase our production, delivery and service efficiency, we will be removing Metallic Silver and Obsidian Black Metallic as paint options from our online vehicle configurators for Model S, Model X and Model 3. This will be effective on Thursday, September 13, 2018, after which Metallic Silver and Obsidian Black Metallic will be offered only as limited edition colors via special request at a cost of $2,000 only until Friday, September 21, 2018.”

Last year Tesla stopped offering Metallic Silver for serveral months, but then it came back.

Kelly Blue Book says silver is the most popular color in the US for luxury cars. I’m surprised Tesla is dropping it.

——————————————————————————————————————————
Best Car Color To Buy, The Monetary Value of Car Color | Kelley Blue Book

Popular Colors for Luxury
Silver is the main color of choice for Luxury vehicles, which make up 8.6% of the car market. Silver rose nearly 14% in one year's time in this category resulting in a whopping one-third of all Luxury vehicles sporting silver tones. Two variations of white made up another 30% of this category, leaving the remaining colors to round out the mix. An interesting observation is that black, which was once the premier color for luxury vehicles, has hit its lowest mark in years at 8.5%.

1. Silver - 32.1%
  2. White Metallic - 17.7%
  3. White - 11.8%
  4. Med/Dk. Blue 8.6%
  5. Black - 8.5%
  6. Med./Dk. Gray 7.2%
  7. Med. Red - 6%
  8. Gold - 3%
  9. Med/Dk Green - 1.8%
  10. Light Brown - 1.7%