Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Silver AWD configurations and deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have found Electrek reporting to be very reliable.

[...]

Kelly Blue Book says silver is the most popular color in the US for luxury cars. I’m surprised Tesla is dropping it.

I'd have agreed with you about Electrek until fairly recently. Anyway that's getting off-topic, and Elon's twitter post confirmed this story.

Dropping silver makes some sense to me, even though it's what I ordered. Around our area I see far fewer silver TM3 than other colors.

Good point about KBB. Maybe TM3 buyers don't think of it as a luxury car?

Could also be fashion: I know some folks who got tired of silver because of MacBooks etc. They're all likely TM3 buyers. These days Apple offers alternatives, and I see a lot of new MacBooks in space gray. I guess the TM3 equivalent would be MSM.

May be related?

upload_2018-9-11_8-21-24.png

Congrats!
Please post some pics and vids when you get it! #jealous
Sorry for the delay in responding - it's been busy for me personally beyond the new toy. :p I never thought I'd spend this much on a car but I can't say I have any buyer's remorse at this time either - it's been great so far. Fit & finish are great, panel gaps are consistent, etc. and it's of course a blast to drive. Only thing I noticed is a very tiny blemish in the silver paint in one spot in the right-rear that's nearly invisible even looking for it, and it's under the clear-coat so I'm thinking it's not really worth worrying about it (though they did say they could sand it down, repaint, etc., etc., if I absolutely insisted).

Attachments

• tesla.jpeg
    tesla.jpeg
    624.4 KB · Views: 94
Reactions: SoCalGuy
Delivered today (9/12/18).

Paint and gaps, as far as I can tell, are as close to perfect as possible. Interior had a couple of minor imperfections but otherwise looks very, very good.
Service Center has "Shree" (our chosen name for our car) and will keep her for about a week to resolve the issues. After the SC is finished she is heading over to get xPel Stealth wrapped, ceramic tinted, and ceramic coated.

Our Model 3.jpg

Reactions: SoCalGuy
I think Tesla may be on another end-of-quarter push for deliveries. They certainly held back at the end of Q2 so as not to push past the 200k deliveries total to help us all out withe the $7500 tax credit.
Now I think they are pushing for high delivery numbers.
This is why..
Got email LAST THURSDAY saying my car would be available 9/26 - 10/3, and please reply to schedule.
"Your Model 3 will be available between Wednesday, September 26 through Wednesday, October 3.
Please reply with the day (or days) that will work best for you and if morning or afternoons are best for you."

I replied immediately, at end of day, saying I wanted to schedule for Oct 1st 11 am in SLC..
By this morning I had gotten no reply so I dropped the DSA another email just checking in. Got the reply within two hours saying she had been out of the office since Friday, and could they schedule for 9/30 (Sunday).. really..
"Are you able to take delivery on September 30 or between the 26th-30th? At this time, we’re focusing on scheduling for the month of September, and your vehicle will be ready in a few weeks."

(Bold underline added for emphasis by me!)

Within a few minutes on sending an email with preferred date and time, my account/reservation page had changed to confirm final payment and delivery date was shown and Edit design is gone. Alas still no VIN or finalized MVPA. Last email from DSA said has gone to contracting for final paperwork.

M3 LR AWD
Silver metallic
19"
Black ineterior
Non-AP

Reactions: JTesmod3
I think Tesla may be on another end-of-quarter push for deliveries. They certainly held back at the end of Q2 so as not to push past the 200k deliveries total to help us all out withe the $7500 tax credit.
This is why..
Got email LAST THURSDAY saying my car would be available 9/26 - 10/3, and please reply to schedule.
"Your Model 3 will be available between Wednesday, September 26 through Wednesday, October 3.
Please reply with the day (or days) that will work best for you and if morning or afternoons are best for you."

I replied immediately, at end of day, saying I wanted to schedule for Oct 1st 11 am in SLC..
By this morning I had gotten no reply so I dropped the DSA another email just checking in. Got the reply within two hours saying she had been out of the office since Friday, and could they schedule for 9/30 (Sunday).. really..
"Are you able to take delivery on September 30 or between the 26th-30th? At this time, we’re focusing on scheduling for the month of September, and your vehicle will be ready in a few weeks."

Within a few minutes on sending an email with preferred date and time, my account/reservation page had changed to confirm final payment and delivery date was shown and Edit design is gone. Alas still no VIN or finalized MVPA. Last email from DSA said has gone to contracting for final paperwork.

M3 LR AWD
Silver metallic
19"
Black ineterior
Non-AP

team silver! We here! (And newly exclusive):)

This is why..

M3 LR AWD
Silver metallic
19"
Black ineterior
Non-AP
That was basically my experience as well. Due to my travel schedule, I needed to push the delivery into early October and the DA said something like "we aren't scheduling October deliveries yet and we can put you back into the queue for when we do schedule October deliveries" - note it wasn't to the back of the queue but rather into a later line for delivery. They then asked since I was traveling over their 4 day window if I could take delivery sooner by a day or two and I said yes. Magically they confirmed the earlier delivery an hour later. It is clear they are ramming through as many deliveries for the quarter as possible. I just hope quality doesn't suffer because I'm happy to reject/refuse delivery if there are any major problems with the car.

Hi all! New Team Silver recruit here. I reserved in 7/17, wanting to wait for an AWD. Since the awd pricing and options were announced, I’d been hemming and hawing between a new 3 and a used S at the same price point. The Tesla email about them doing a final silver and black push got me tempted. I called my OA today and he said that the 4-week turnaround was going to be for all trims - not just P. I pulled the trigger on my new commuter sled this afternoon:

Metallic silver
Awd
18” Aeros
White interior
EAP

Woohoo! Now for the last part of the wait...

Hello guys. Looks like I am joining this group.

I am changing from Red 3P+ to Silver 3P+.

9/3/2018 Ordered
9/6/2018 Emailed for Model 3 Cancel
Tesla Emailed I can cancel if I want.(from customer service email)
9/7/2018 I filled the cancel form + reason for cancel and replied the email.
Email Reply and Cancel confirmation completely ignored by Tesla :eek:
9/13 Got a call from Tesla it is ready to be picked up 9/20. Edit button gone.
9/13 Vin Assigned according to DA.
9/20 Original Delivery Day
9/30 Postponed due to being out of state

Great!
I think Tesla was afraid I was going to cancel and it started building the car in no time.
I was going to buy some Tesla stock instead of buying Model 3. Tesla tells me I should buy the car!
Tesla tell me what to do with my money. Not the other way around!!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Jedi2155
Hi all! New Team Silver recruit here. I reserved in 7/17, wanting to wait for an AWD. Since the awd pricing and options were announced, I’d been hemming and hawing between a new 3 and a used S at the same price point. The Tesla email about them doing a final silver and black push got me tempted. I called my OA today and he said that the 4-week turnaround was going to be for all trims - not just P. I pulled the trigger on my new commuter sled this afternoon:

Metallic silver
Awd
18” Aeros
White interior
EAP

Woohoo! Now for the last part of the wait...

What is “OA”? How did you have that contact before even ordering?

That 4-week turnaround non-promise is worthless. They haven’t even built them yet but will deliver them within 4 weeks (much less 2)? Yeah right Tesla. They are so full of sh!t it’s comical.

I thought that was the Tesla kool aid name for sales person. My bad. I meant “sales person at my local Tesla store that will return my calls.” I’ve been dealing with him since I test drove the 3 two weekends ago.

If they didn’t feel like they could accelerate silver/black production, why bother emailing everyone about it? It’s still a gamble, but if it looks like I’m gonna miss the tax credit, there should be some lease return ap2 S 75Ds in the cpo program by then at the same price point. One way or another I should have a Tesla before Halloween.

If they didn’t feel like they could accelerate silver/black production, why bother emailing everyone about it?

Because they think nothing through, don't care about what representations they make to customers, and could care less whether they fulfill this non-promise because they face zero consequences either way.

I don't see why choosing silver today should necessarily expedite the process. Presumably since they plan to shut down silver production, they are planning one final run in the next week or two to fulfill all pipeline orders. Well why can't they do that with red this week, and white the week after. Why couldn't they do this with silver next week even if they weren't ending the color. We have no visibility into their pipeline orders or production batching. Clearly choosing RWD a couple months ago expedited your order. Choosing white seats a month ago expedited your order. They didn't bother to inform customers about that so we could make informed choices about our orders. And the one final week of silver at a special $2k price was just incoherent. And does that mean the silver run won't happen until after that period. We have no idea. I just don't believe anything they say at this point.

Reactions: 97Monty
Because they think nothing through, don't care about what representations they make to customers, and could care less whether they fulfill this non-promise because they face zero consequences either way.

No argument there. My wife asked last night if I thought we'd get free t-shirts or whatnot for buying the car. I told her that based on my experiences dealing with them thus far, we'd be lucky if we got a punch in the stomach.