Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ski rack for X finally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad that works! I had suggested someone try that in this older thread:

Great Ski Rack (minor DIY required) for Model X

This is what I did with my old bike and ski racks:

image3.jpg

@Jeeps17 Nothing prevents somebody from taking the full rack away (the same applies to other kind of racks). The ski holder lock is mainly for securing the skis and preventing the rack from accidentally popping up. The ski site I usually go to is pretty safe. So I tend to leave my rack on the hatch when I am skiing. If you feel you are not comfortable with that you can always detach the rack and put it inside the car when you are away. It takes only a minute or two to attach or detach the rack. Note the vacuum cups get stiff when it is cold so make sure you pre-warm your car when you need to attach the rack again.

Any thoughts on the maximum length ski that would work with this setup? I really like the idea of simply putting the skis on the rear window -- especially when I'm just driving back to our cabin from the mountain.

You can take a look at the model x spec. The width is at 89'' so I would think you can safely put on skis up to that length. If your skis are really tall, you should try mounting one rack on the front windshield and the other on the rear hatch.

Awesome idea! I have the 6 seater so I ended up making a box for my ski for inside the car. I really like this idea though! I too would be very interested in hearing how much it affects your range.

Hi Brett,

Great video! I put my skis in the same location but I use a ski bag. Amazon has several for around $25. Also a boot bag for the wet boots. Takes up less space and can usually find extra room in the ski bags for wet hats and gloves.

Thanks, Sceeter! Truthfully, the idea of a ski bag didn't even come to me at first! Although, for me, this box worked out better. A lot of times I go skiing with different friends that snowboard so I wanted something that could fit a few pairs of skis or snowboards. There are bags that are big enough to hold both skis and snowboards, but they get expensive. The other thing I like about the box, is that I can basically use it for anything dirty. I can toss our snowshoes in there too. And in the summer, I can put hiking gear in there too.

Reactions: Sceeter
I was pleasantly surprised to discover that when you have 5 passengers in a 5 seater Model X you can put the skis inside with the tips under the 2nd row seats. I use the rear cargo cover in vertical position to support the tails of the skis. I can then put ski boot bags and gear in the trunk well. I fit our family's 5 pairs of skis up to 172cm (my 172cm skis are missing in the pictures). Longer skis like cross-country will also fit but have to go in at an angle. I didn't receive the flat floor cargo cover with my X but don't miss it yet.

This is exactly what i was hoping for. Do you have to have the skis in an angle? My cross country skis are 210cm, will they fit under there?

You do have to have the skis angled down because the floor drops down under the seats. I do believe 210's will fit but only at an extreme angle diagonally. I can check if you like.
I have the same question duckjybe. Is appreciated that you would check. I have also long ski's and doubting to choose either a 5 or 6 Seat config to tackle this challenge, prefer a five because of price but ski's should fit

Awaiting your reply

I have the same question duckjybe. Is appreciated that you would check. I have also long ski's and doubting to choose either a 5 or 6 Seat config to tackle this challenge, prefer a five because of price but ski's should fit

Awaiting your reply
My 210's did fit angled. But on the 5 seater Tesla has since added a support for a floor cover that brings floor level with the seats when they are down. The cover is optional but the support that covers the gap under the seats and holds up the cover is fixed. I had them add this to mine too see how it worked but now I can't put skis in. I will have to remove the support if I wish to fit skis this winter but am not sure how easily it is removed. I think it pops off (there is another thread with photos) but it looks like it is not necessarily easy.

My 210's did fit angled. But on the 5 seater Tesla has since added a support for a floor cover that brings floor level with the seats when they are down. The cover is optional but the support that covers the gap under the seats and holds up the cover is fixed. I had them add this to mine too see how it worked but now I can't put skis in. I will have to remove the support if I wish to fit skis this winter but am not sure how easily it is removed. I think it pops off (there is another thread with photos) but it looks like it is not necessarily easy.

I successfully removed the 5 seater forward floor styrofoam support as follows: on each end, using two hands, slipping fingers under and pulling up firmly. Might be a good idea to use gloves because my finger scraped against the plastic friction clip that holds the floor support in place. you will be left with 3 exposed clips held on by bolts, one in the middle is wider. They get in the way if you have more than 4 pairs of skis so the middle one could be removed.

I love seeing the ski rack ideas - I'm waiting on the hitch receiver to be installed this month on my X.

I was able to fit 5 sets of skis and boots in my 7 passenger X by laying down the passenger side 3rd row and the passenger side 40 percent of the 2nd row. I then wrapped a moving blanket around the skis and poles to protect the passengers and seats from the ski edges. Putting most (all?) boots in the frunk on an all weather mat work great. Helmets (and perhaps a pair of boots) went behind the 3rd row in the sunken trunk area. Happily it was only a few miles from the slopes to the condo with the rental skis but it worked quite well.

Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
@t56301 thank you for the suggestion. I didn’t want to deal with a heavy, long, bulky hitch system and this worked great. Takes about 3 min to mount and 20 seconds to remove so it is very versatile for me. It is not the more secure racks out there but for ease of use you can’t beat it. I could fit four boards on it (two upside down and two above). My only regret is I had trunk open and the fwd opened and cracked the top glass on the rack’s frame. Back seat driver side top glass will need replacement. *]%€#>\€’$&@! Make sure trunk is not open when fwd are in operation. Other than that, very happy, but not in myself.

Attachments

• CA12E289-DE58-435B-B9CD-0EA6DFE9F5CE.jpeg
    CA12E289-DE58-435B-B9CD-0EA6DFE9F5CE.jpeg
    597.1 KB · Views: 209
Reactions: McManX
Here's a European solution. Ordered the box from Germany and have used it extensively when heading into the Scandi mountains. Thoroughly recommend it. Fits skis up to 191 cm (≈6'3''). Barely affects range/consumption at all. Consumption for my 90D with the box on hovers around 220-230 Wh/km (≈350Wh/mile) at 90 km/h in 0°C. Dry roads though for that metric.

Last year I packed 6 ppl, luggage, equipment and food for a full week. The X is quite the hauler with this thing on. :)

The box is manufactured by MFT.

Attachments

• IMG_0761.jpg
    IMG_0761.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 283
Here's a European solution. Ordered the box from Germany and have used it extensively when heading into the Scandi mountains. Thoroughly recommend it. Fits skis up to 191 cm (≈6'3''). Barely affects range/consumption at all. Consumption for my 90D with the box on hovers around 220-230 Wh/km (≈350Wh/mile) at 90 km/h in 0°C. Dry roads though for that metric.

Last year I packed 6 ppl, luggage, equipment and food for a full week. The X is quite the hauler with this thing on. :)

The box is manufactured by MFT.
They do not deliver outside the EU. I've been trying for over a year to get one of these. :(

They do not deliver outside the EU. I've been trying for over a year to get one of these. :(
Actually, it was a real pain to get them to deliver even to Sweden. For some reason MFT themselves won’t deliver outside Germany/Austria. But I found a few resellers that could work around that. I ended up buying from a German web shop that did EU wide deliveries, but spoke to a Dutch reseller that seemed to do things very manually. I’m sure he could arrange US shipping for the right price. Will of course translate into a significant premium, but if you really want it, it should be possible.

Bear in mind though that our tow hitches are different from yours, so not sure the MFT attachment platform is compatible with the US standard.

@t56301 thank you for the suggestion. I didn’t want to deal with a heavy, long, bulky hitch system and this worked great. Takes about 3 min to mount and 20 seconds to remove so it is very versatile for me. It is not the more secure racks out there but for ease of use you can’t beat it. I could fit four boards on it (two upside down and two above). My only regret is I had trunk open and the fwd opened and cracked the top glass on the rack’s frame. Back seat driver side top glass will need replacement. *]%€#>\€’$&@! Make sure trunk is not open when fwd are in operation. Other than that, very happy, but not in myself.

@ChargeMeUp Awesome idea for the seasucker snowboard mount! It seems like this method really helps with the aerodynamics. Plus you could even have a swing away bike hitch rack on at the same time!

Questions:

1.) What is the size of the red board in your photo?

2.) Sorry to hear about the glass crack. Do you think adhering a foam protection pad on the top of the rack frame could have prevented the crack? May be a good idea for the future.

3.) How was your range impacted with two snowboards on the rack?

Thanks in advance!

@BatmobileX. Sorry been offline a while and ski season is coming up! Red board is 163. I don't know a foam pad would've made much difference but I might give it a try if it is a thicker one the FWD may sense the pressure and stop itself in time. I won't be testing it that's for sure! We just put the FWD on child's lock so it cannot be open without me making sure the trunk is always closed first. I did not notice any impact on mileage, although it was affected more by the cold weather. Good luck.