Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ski rack for X finally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was able to get it to work on the rear window so both my FWDs can open freely, as well as the hatchback. Setup is straightforward. And the low profile of the overall vehicle does help too - very easy to load and unload skis.

I have tried different setups too, such as one rack on the spoiler and one on the rear window and have the ski tips pointing to the front of the vehicle. That works just fine but if you more than one pair of skis you can't keep both FWDs operable (if you only have one pair of skis, you can fit the skis within the middle trim to make both FWDs operable). Also you don't have much room to operate the hatchback.

IMG_4749.jpg IMG_4757.jpg IMG_4759.jpg

The ski rack is from seasucker.

I like the rack - although - does anyone knows if it meets European safety standards?

Seasucker racks are distributed in Europe in any case. I'm using one on my non-pano MS and it's really good. Certainly a lot better than the average 49.99 EUR suction cap racks which come with a "don't drive faster than 120 km/h" sticker yet somehow manage to pass EU safety standards as well :)

Great video, are you on snow tires?
Thanks! No, I'm still using all season tires. I'm looking into getting some winter tires, but I haven't yet. My Model X performs better than my old Subaru ever did so I'm not in a rush to get winter tires. However, I want to protect this car as much as I can so I'm probably going to get a set of winter tires just to be safe.

Reactions: K-MTG
I was pleasantly surprised to discover that when you have 5 passengers in a 5 seater Model X you can put the skis inside with the tips under the 2nd row seats. I use the rear cargo cover in vertical position to support the tails of the skis. I can then put ski boot bags and gear in the trunk well. I fit our family's 5 pairs of skis up to 172cm (my 172cm skis are missing in the pictures). Longer skis like cross-country will also fit but have to go in at an angle. I didn't receive the flat floor cargo cover with my X but don't miss it yet.

Attachments

• IMG_9544.JPG
    IMG_9544.JPG
    303.4 KB · Views: 1,732
  • IMG_9545.JPG
    IMG_9545.JPG
    331.6 KB · Views: 1,661
  • IMG_9549.JPG
    IMG_9549.JPG
    331.7 KB · Views: 1,694
Last edited:
Is that with the fixed spoiler? Would the active spoiler clear the mounts when it retracts?
Yes, mine is a fixed spoiler. I would not recommend mounting on an active spoiler as the racks are not that flexible :) But you can do what I did by mounting the racks on the glass only. You can always adjust the angles of the racks to avoid tucking the cups under the spoiler.

Was able to get it to work on the rear window so both my FWDs can open freely, as well as the hatchback. Setup is straightforward. And the low profile of the overall vehicle does help too - very easy to load and unload skis.

I have tried different setups too, such as one rack on the spoiler and one on the rear window and have the ski tips pointing to the front of the vehicle. That works just fine but if you more than one pair of skis you can't keep both FWDs operable (if you only have one pair of skis, you can fit the skis within the middle trim to make both FWDs operable). Also you don't have much room to operate the hatchback.

View attachment 212547 View attachment 212548 View attachment 212549

Any thoughts on the maximum length ski that would work with this setup? I really like the idea of simply putting the skis on the rear window -- especially when I'm just driving back to our cabin from the mountain.

This isn't for a Model X, but for my Model S I don't have the roof mounts for a ski rack, but I do have a hitch mount for a bike rack. I found a ski adapter for my bike rack on craigslist & it has been working great. I can't see why this wouldn't work for a Model X. It doesn't seem to add too much drag, and from the front is looks like a fin

View attachment 212609

Some of us are looking for other options because this can get salt all over and ruin the skis.

Mounting on the rear hatch should help a lot in this respect.

Thank you very much for posting this !

I have no local Seasucker dealer, thus cannot go look at their ski rack in person, but I have a few questions if you don't mind:

1. When mounted on the hatch glass, can you hold skis together in pairs without the bindings of the bottom ski touching anything below (and same question when mounted on the spoiler) ?

2. How many pairs of skis can you hold with the rack ?

Thanks in advance!

1. When mounted on the hatch glass, can you hold skis together in pairs without the bindings of the bottom ski touching anything below (and same question when mounted on the spoiler) ?

Yes, I have tried it. The skis are actually pretty high up so there is no touching of the bindings on the glass, whether you set it up with the spoiler or not. If I am in the driver seat, I can't see the skis from the hatch window. No obstruction of my rear view either.

2. How many pairs of skis can you hold with the rack ?
Some basic info I got from seasucker on the rack posted here:
Length (outside cup to outside cup) 33"
Total Height 9"
Clearance height 6.75"
Our cups are 6" in diameter, so the width of the rack is technically 6"

I would say it can at least hold 4 pairs in there.

Yes, I have tried it. The skis are actually pretty high up so there is no touching of the bindings on the glass, whether you set it up with the spoiler or not. If I am in the driver seat, I can't see the skis from the hatch window. No obstruction of my rear view either.

Thank you very much for your quick reply !

One thing I have not seen on their site: The ski holders lock, but is there anything to prevent someone from releasing the vacuum cups and walking away with the empty rack (full would be a bit more work, but same concept o_O)?