Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker radio credentials

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you use a Slacker premium account then you can create/modify playlists online and then the Tesla will let you use them (and skip around). They show up specifically as Playlists.

Everyone says that it is hit or miss and most don't seem to get their premium playlists on the Tesla app. I have been trying to decide if I want premium for the last few days but can't find a consistent answer on if it actually gives you anything.

I knew I'd get a comment like that about Sonos. Say what you want about it, I think it sounds amazing as do most people that come over and visit. I use Sonos for the ease of use, and the simple multi room audio. The audio quality is excellent which is a nice bonus.

I mean yeah- if your friends are used to TV speakers or soundbars, Sonos does sound excellent.

Compared to real quality individual speakers though- not so much.

Your ignorant comment about Sonos being good for someone that "doesn't understand how to actually set up a sound system" was completely unnecessary.

Apparently not...As I said, if Sonos is your judge of quality that's a pretty low bar.

I'm an IT consultant and work in technology every single day. You are confusing "understand" with "want." It's not rocket science, anyone can set up a sound system but who wants to go through all of that?

Anybody who wants much higher quality sound than what Sonos offers?

I want to open the box, plug it in and use it. I have absolutely zero interest in running wires, and trying to create my own multi room audio solution just to get what, better quality, when I think Sonos sounds amazing as is? There's no point.

Of course there is. Your system sounds incredibly mediocre to people familiar with better systems.

That sonos sub for example is missing an entire octave of sound it's too undersized and underpowered to be capable of physically reproducting.

You don't notice, because it's the "best" thing you've got, so you literally don't realize what you're missing.

that doesn't make what you are missing pointless though.

The fact you Just because someone doesn't use something doesn't mean it's because they are too stupid to use it.

I didn't said it made them stupid. I said Sonos was an excellent solution for those who can't figure out how to set up a better sounding system.

If you're not in that group then then use of Sonos just means you overpaid for lower quality sound than you otherwise could've set up. As you note- it's not rocket science to set up better if you're a tech person.

I'm not an audiophile, so I wouldn't even notice the difference, making it a waste of time and money to use my own system.

You really would though.

You'd hear entire parts of soundtracks you didn't know existed because your Sonos can't play them.

Disclaimer- this assumes you listen to more than say reality TV shows and the news and sports- if that's all your viewing yeah you probably won't notice.

Things like action films, sci-fi fantasy content, many TV shows, and definitely some music- the difference would be noticeable, significantly so, to anyone with decent hearing.

Furthermore, I never said anything about anyone lying. If you actually read my post, I said that the free Slacker is completely different sounding than when I use my own account. The free one crackles and has static, it sounds like FM radio when you're driving under a bridge. If you crank it, the base crackles and can't go super loud or it distorts. I log into my own account, I don't have any of those problems. Base can go super loud and sounds fine, and it's the same songs I'm testing as well. I'm not saying it's 64kbps vs 320kbps I'm just saying it's not the same in my car, 100%.

Except that's completely the opposite of what Slacker explicitly says happens in a Tesla Model 3 with free vs your own account.

So if you're telling the truth then Slacker must be lying. Why would you think they'd do that?

More likely though you're imagining a difference via the placebo effect- you PAID FOR IT so it MUST be better.

Occams razor suggests that's the case rather than Slacker simply lying about it.

Especially when such a lie would be costing them money.

It's like AM/FM radio vs CD when I try both, but maybe because I just got my car yesterday it has different equipment or something since my VIN is over 100,000.

Since audio quality is a setting on the client side that explanation would only make sense if you also had different software on your car that enabled a bitrate choice.

As I said- the S actually DID have this for a while (but I don't think it does anymore) and you COULD get higher quality with your own account by enabling it.

But AFAIK that option has never existed on the model 3- and slacker explicitly states you get 64 kb/sec without it on a Tesla- no matter what type of account you use.

So unless you have such a setting and are the first to find it (please post a screen shot if so) the difference can't exist anywhere but your imagination.

Furthermore, I never said anything about anyone lying. If you actually read my post, I said that the free Slacker is completely different sounding than when I use my own account. The free one crackles and has static, it sounds like FM radio when you're driving under a bridge. If you crank it, the base crackles and can't go super loud or it distorts. I log into my own account, I don't have any of those problems. Base can go super loud and sounds fine, and it's the same songs I'm testing as well. I'm not saying it's 64kbps vs 320kbps I'm just saying it's not the same in my car, 100%. It's like AM/FM radio vs CD when I try both, but maybe because I just got my car yesterday it has different equipment or something since my VIN is over 100,000.
Weird, every song sounds bad on the free account? I have no problems like that. I do occasionally get a song that crackles and pops, but pausing and resuming fixes it. It's sort of a known problem, though since this is audio problem we're dealing with, probably won't be fixed any time soon ... otherwise it sounds indistinguishable from the premium slacker I have (I did log in briefly but since none of my stations would appear because reasons, I logged out again). I have tested Slaker's (non-Tesla) free audio bitrate vs premium audio bitrate in the Android app before and it's clearly noticeable difference, and the car's free account sounds more or less the same as the premium bitrate (though it may be lower just high enough to not be able to tell without proper A/B, it's certainly not 64kbps)

Took position of my Mode 3 the other day. It seems to be missing Slacker radio, has anyone else run into this problem?

The car I test drove had it installed, so I figure I must be in a weird position with it missing.
Weird. Other than trying a MCU reboot (click inwards on both steering wheel buttons and hold them in for ~15 seconds or so), all I can suggest is you contact Tesla. Hopefully they can just push some kind of settings update to your car so you don't have to take it to a service center.

Where can I find info on all the sources available on the premium model 3,
preferably with accurate info as to compression used, bit rates, etc? E.g.
which icon(s) pull up Slacker? What exactly are the other icons connecting to?
I listen to some international radio stations. How are those being connected?

If I connect my phone over Bluetooth, what's the expected format/bandwidth?

What happens when I play FLAC stored on my phone, is it always over
Bluetooth (which version? 2.x, 4.x?) or can I have a true one to one playback
over one of the 2 front USB jacks?

Have people tried using a small hub to share one of these ports between say the
phone and a USB "thumb drive'?

How about hooking up a full SSD or HDD (and powering it from say the 12 volt
receptacle)?

Anyway, is there a thread where these issues are active? Documentation?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Where can I find info on all the sources available on the premium model 3,
preferably with accurate info as to compression used, bit rates, etc? E.g.
which icon(s) pull up Slacker? What exactly are the other icons connecting to?
I listen to some international radio stations. How are those being connected?

If I connect my phone over Bluetooth, what's the expected format/bandwidth?

What happens when I play FLAC stored on my phone, is it always over
Bluetooth (which version? 2.x, 4.x?) or can I have a true one to one playback
over one of the 2 front USB jacks?

Have people tried using a small hub to share one of these ports between say the
phone and a USB "thumb drive'?

How about hooking up a full SSD or HDD (and powering it from say the 12 volt
receptacle)?

Anyway, is there a thread where these issues are active? Documentation?

Thanks.
People who claim to have looked at the code have stated that the Model 3 has Slacker locked to 64kbps with no ability to change it, even if you use your own login. However, if that's the case, Slacker has some miracle encoding technology, because while I could see an argument as to how high the bitrate is (112? 128? 160?), I can't see (hear?) it being 64kbps, and I haven't even bothered using my own account yet (I dabbled with it but at the time there wasn't an easy way to pin a "station" so it would actually show up in the car's UI, so it was useless at the time). Someone should be along shortly to tell me how wrong I am to doubt it's 64kbps because yadda yadda, but whatever. I am happy with the audio quality, it's not as good as FLAC, but it's not hideous.

If you're in Europe you'll get Spotify instead of Slacker and I have no idea whether it has same/similar/different bitrate options or lack thereof.

I can't recall if BT supports the AptX standard which gives you higher fidelity, but apparently that's not availble on iDevices even if it did, and whatever Apple would use isn't supported I don't think ? I have an android which supports AptX I believe (varies by device) but I pretty much never use it for an audio source other than phone which wouldn't be using AptX anyways so I can't really comment.

You might in theory be able to play music files off your phone, but at least with mine, I haven't found a way to do so. I think because it needs to appear as an actual USB mass storage device, not using whatever goofy media transfer protocol thing that phones usually use these days, even when you tell it to appear as a drive ...

I have a bunch of MP3s and FLAC stored on a USB drive (partitioned so one partition is music, one is dash cam). There's all manner of bugs and poorly implemented issues with the media playback though, so you'll want to use Jehoel/TeslaTags to massage your files so that they work reasonably well on the car.

Some people have definitely used USB to SATA adapters to use a SSD, no reason you couldn't use a HDD but that would just be asking for failure due to vibration.

This might be a relevant thread, though it is lengthy and started a few years ago and is also for S and X : Comprehensive USB Bug List

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 5.58.20 PM.png
Audio quality I don't think changes.

It's 64kbps by default in Tesla and 128kbps for those that are enabled which previously was available for S and X that had the high Fidelity sound. Our M3s don't have the option to enable high quality streaming, despite having premium sound in the PUP, So it's either already on higher quality 128kbps by default or it's 64kbps.

When I play the same song at 190kbps on Spotify it is MUCH better and clearer to my ears.

So I'm guessing we are at 64kbps with slacker on the Model 3s.

Please see the attached image. This is what I got standard with my X. It indicates 320kbps maximum.

@jelly how do you play from Spotify?

I understand in the US it streams from Slacker.
I see "Radio", Phone and USB. But
I don't know what the other source(s) is/are.
Is there a clear statement anywhere?

Oh, and BTW, I ran some spectra of a WAV
playback over USB, and the same over BlueTooth,
and the only real difference was some loss above
16KHz, which most adults can't hear anyway.

See here Bluetooth Music

Last edited:
There is no way in hell the slacker streak is 64kbps.

No way in hell. I would tend to agree with the above post, all Tesla's probably stream at 320.

I’m pretty sure I saw posts a while back where people were actually monitoring the data usage when Slacker was downloading songs and their results indicated that the Model 3 indeed only streams from Slacker at 64kbps.

With my UHFS MS I recd my credentials, went on the web to find my account on low quality.and had to manually select high. It made a difference in the car.

Nope.

Again- Slacker support not only repeatedly confirmed directly that doing that doesn't change your in-car quality, Slackers official support website says exactly the same.

Changing it on the web does nothing for the car (or your phone, or anywhere else)

Quality settings are per client

The S, with UHFS, did have its own setting on the Tesla SW to change to 128kb for a while, don't think that option is still there though.

There is no way in hell the slacker streak is 64kbps.

No way in hell. I would tend to agree with the above post, all Tesla's probably stream at 320.

Nope.

Why would Tesla, which is paying for free bandwidth for most Teslas on the road, be paying for 5x the bandwidth when pretty obviously most folks can't even tell the difference.

Even back when the S has a dedicated setting with the higher end stereo the highest they let you go was 160kb/s and that was on a lot more expensive car than the 3.

View attachment 391665

Please see the attached image. This is what I got standard with my X. It indicates 320kbps maximum.

Uh, not sure what that image is from?

The Slacker app in the car doesn't tell you the bitrate.

If you mean you changed it on the website, they doesn't do anything to the quality in your car.

Again, directly from Slacker themselves-

Audio Quality

Slacker said:
Quality setting is done on a per-client basis. If you listen to Slacker Radio on multiple clients, changing the quality setting on one client will have no effect on the quality settings of other clients.

There is no question it made a difference for my car as I described..

No, it did not.

Placebo is a powerful effect. You paid money to be able to set something, so it MUST HAVE HELPED right?

You can tell it doesn't though because the people who run the service tell you that.

Again, here's slacker themselves telling you you're imaging this helped

Audio Quality

Slacker said:
Note: Quality setting is done on a per-client basis. If you listen to Slacker Radio on multiple clients, changing the quality setting on one client will have no effect on the quality settings of other clients.

The only place you can improve the audio quality of slacker in a Tesla is in the tesla on the tesla client.

The S used to allow this (up to 160kb apparently) but since removed the setting.

Changing it on your phone, or the website, or anyplace else, doesn't change it in your car- per direct explanation from the service itself.