Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker Radio not working after this morning's new firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think it's the update. Slacker is broken for me too. ..and I'm still on 7.0 I think it's on slacker's end. I can keep playing the station I'm on, but I can't search our browse. (Favourites do work)

It's not the update that came. Both our Model S (which received the update) and Model X (which did not get updated) are acting odd. You can log into Slacker, you just can't get the menus. Voice search works, as do favorites.

I got it working this morning

Mine was also busted after the update. Did the update yesterday morning and Slacker busted afterwards. Btw, it isn't completely busted -- you can still get to songs, etc, via the "Favorites" menu. Without going into details on all the different things I tried (mostly variations of rebooting center and drivers screens, along with log in and log out of app), here's exactly what I did just a few minutes ago to get it working (really, no joke):

1. pulled up teslamotors.com on the in car browser, made it full screen
  2. found the tech support number, pulled up the phone app and called tech support, used option '3'
  3. while sitting on hold (yeh, prolly lots of people with this issue) I switched audio to speaker on my phone
  4. then I rebooted the center screen (hold both steering wheel scroll buttons down)
  5. when screen booted back up, phone audio went to car again
  6. put audio back to phone (some wrestling back and forth with the car; ended up going to phone then speaker on phone)
  7. reloaded teslamotors.com on the browser
  8. poked the audio app menu button
  9. hit Slacker and it now works.

Best of luck using some variation of those steps. I don't think calling Tesla is really required, but it does keep the phone busy and audio switching back and forth. Might be workable by just getting two different apps visible on the initial boot-up then verifying network connectivity through the web app and waiting 30 seconds before trying Slacker app again.

Oh, and if somebody wants to use these instructions outside this forum -- go ahead. Spread the news. :smile:

Everything working since about an hour ago. I did not touch anything.

Had an interesting experience right before it broke where I caught a large download over port 22 followed by some messages that I had an upgrade available. Walked out to the car to do the upgrade and the message disappeared when I attempted to initiate. After that Slacker was broken, or at least that was when I first observed it being broken.

Last edited:
I have, however, noticed a different problem since the update - after a bluetooth call ends the car still remains locked on the bluetooth audio channel for 25-30 seconds. "End Call" does nothing as well. I reported it this morning.

I will try in a little bit. Another thing that's interesting is if I turn the climate on via the app, and step into the car the audio that was on previously is now muted and makes me select FM AM or slacker.

My slacker radio no longer plays music after my software update. I can search for music but then after selecting a song, it doesn't play.
When I go to browse and Internet and slacker radio, nothing shows up on the right side to select stations.

Anyone else?

Same thing here. Car was just updated to 2.12.45.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you tried rebooting? and rebooting again? and calling Tesla?

Yes, yes and yes. Still no Slacker.

- - - Updated - - -

Updated yesterday morning, Slacker worked for me all day yesterday and today. I have a "Classic" if that makes any difference.

We also have a classic S60, and Slacker does not work on latest firmware.

Hi guys,
Is there a simple "using the Model S sound system" sticky somewhere?
at least for me, this is a less than intuitive interface. I can pause, but not rewind music. Can't download albums, can't creat playlists.
Had the car less than a week but am having troubles.
Thanks
doug

Hi guys,
Is there a simple "using the Model S sound system" sticky somewhere?
at least for me, this is a less than intuitive interface. I can pause, but not rewind music. Can't download albums, can't creat playlists.
Had the car less than a week but am having troubles.
Thanks
doug
I don't know of a sticky, but let me answer some of your Slacker questions. The account you have through Tesla is not the normal free Slacker account (which has ads). Nor is it the full premium account which allows anything to be played any time. it is somewhere in between where you don't have full control of the music. So, you can request a song (via voice input) and it will play it only if you haven't listened to it recently. It will then play other "similar" songs. You can't rewind. You can call your service center and get your Slacker account and password. You can use them on your phone with the Slacker app to set up "stations" where you specify the performers you like to hear. When listening in your Tesla or on you phone, you can indicate that you like a song and it will fine tune that "station" to play it and songs like it more often. You can indicate that you don't like a song and it will never play it again.