Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker radio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla provides Spotify in Europe. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a screenshot from someone over there and posted as if it were available in the US. I sure hope I'm wrong and it's real though.

Tesla provides Spotify in Europe. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a screenshot from someone over there and posted as if it were available in the US. I sure hope I'm wrong and it's real though.

But it's clearly a Model 3 display and the Model 3 is still only for sale in the US and Canada at the moment.

I wonder if that is the case with a paid subscription then. Good to know, thanks.

I'm currently trying out the premium Slacker and it does have some added functionality over the free account included with the Model 3.

I can request any song (well most of the time, it work's 90%+ of the time) multiple times within a 24 hour period. As someone else mentioned the free Slacker account included with the car only lets you request a specific song once every 24 hours. I can also play entire albums or songs by just a specific artist. The free account does not let you play albums and when you tell it to play a specific artist it will start with that artist and then play 2 or 3 similar artists before going back to the one you requested.

I was also able to load the premium Slacker account I created on my iPhone and could then adjust the settings on some of the stations I listen to the most. For example I changed the settings for the Hard Rock station to play my favorites slightly less, play more songs that are not super popular and also mix in more older songs. It definitely made those changes in my Model 3 after I adjusted this in the app on my iPhone.

I'll just leave this here

RJXNaosZy-AZVBOFoAU5aaUAXCyGFEj4MthhAYBEq5c.jpg

source: Owner on Facebook claims he got his 3 back from service and Slacker was replaced with Spotify?! (Texas) Software 36.2. : teslamotors

Hoax I suspect.

He also claims he's in Houston and it was 105 degrees.

Hasn't been that hot in Houston in months (you can check historic highs with wunderground.com).. it hasn't even gotten much above 90 in like a month, let alone 105.

Spotify is the default streaming service on Teslas outside North America and has been for years so it'd be easy to photoshop a "real" tesla screen from an overseas car onto the houston screen.

Hoax I suspect.

He also claims he's in Houston and it was 105 degrees.

Hasn't been that hot in Houston in months (you can check historic highs with wunderground.com).. it hasn't even gotten much above 90 in like a month, let alone 105.

Spotify is the default streaming service on Teslas outside North America and has been for years so it'd be easy to photoshop a "real" tesla screen from an overseas car onto the houston screen.

This isn't a hoax. It's what happens when you accidentally get the euro firmware flipped on in your car.

This isn't a hoax. It's what happens when you accidentally get the euro firmware flipped on in your car.

that's the other most likely possibility.... though it's odd Tesla wouldn't GPS or VIN check stuff like that before doing the update.

Then again Tesla QC, software and otherwise, seems to.....miss things... you might expect them not to.

that's the other most likely possibility.... though it's odd Tesla wouldn't GPS or VIN check stuff like that before doing the update.

Then again Tesla QC, software and otherwise, seems to.....miss things... you might expect them not to.
It is not different firmware. It is just a 0 to 1 change in the car's configuration file.
It might have happened that the SC accidentally flipped the switch...

Last edited:
I'm currently trying out the premium Slacker and it does have some added functionality over the free account included with the Model 3.

I can request any song (well most of the time, it work's 90%+ of the time) multiple times within a 24 hour period. As someone else mentioned the free Slacker account included with the car only lets you request a specific song once every 24 hours. I can also play entire albums or songs by just a specific artist. The free account does not let you play albums and when you tell it to play a specific artist it will start with that artist and then play 2 or 3 similar artists before going back to the one you requested.

I was also able to load the premium Slacker account I created on my iPhone and could then adjust the settings on some of the stations I listen to the most. For example I changed the settings for the Hard Rock station to play my favorites slightly less, play more songs that are not super popular and also mix in more older songs. It definitely made those changes in my Model 3 after I adjusted this in the app on my iPhone.

I dont think slacker has the same database of music that Apple Music has or Pandora or Spotify.

Correct me if Im wrong.

Honestly unless they were going to allow streaming at higher quality than the 64kbs slacker is currently limited to on the 3, having more songs that don't sound nearly as good as my USB key isn't going to be much of a draw to me.

They’re assigning AWD software to P3D hardware so... I doubt they’re checking hard :)

YM
They're delivering AWD cars to P orders then flashing them to P, since there's no evidence of any HW difference
HTH!

AWD and P cars have the same GPS locations and the same VIN letters IDing the type of car too.

US vs non-US does not have either the same.

I had premium subscription s to both Spotify and slacker. I found that slacker does NOT allow choice of songs or the construction of playlists,( albeit using the PC ) as claimed by some. When I complained to Spotify they responded that they no longer supported Premium slacker accounts on Teslas. They even refunded my subscription. You are, therefore, limited to the choice of SIMILAR songs rather than the ones that you specify; when I asked for Linda Ronstadt they played The Captain and Tenille! And you cannot play ANY playlists, nor can you play in higher nitrate. Spotify also has about fifty percent more songs than Slacker. I shall be forced to continue to rely upon my own music on USB drives. Unfortunately tesla doesn't help much in controlling these since the left scroll wheel doesn't seem to work to skip tracks let alone change folders.

Having not done this yet, I recall that there's some requirement about the folder you put the files in? And then can you control everything from the screen (clearly, you must as you don't have control over the thumbdrive otherwise!). What info does it show? I'd run out and test, but my car is at the tint shop.

OH! And another reason I've not been doing this is that I'm using both front USB ports for my wireless charger. Clearly I need to add alternate USB power up front, so that these "smart" ports can be used for smart things.
You can always use the two rear l
Yep. I experience this one in 15-30 songs on average. Sometimes it can be subsequent songs, other times I won't hear it for a few days. Pausing and restarting the song has fixed it, but it is annoying.
You can use the two REAR ports for charging

I’m a Slacker fan.

I prefer it over spotify, pandora, google music, and so on.

It does really good curation of it’s music, at least for me.

I listen to Roots/Rastafari Reggae and most algorithmic based playlists cannot tell this apart from the violent or sexually charged music that also comes from Jamaica. A human ear can spot the difference instantly; often even if you don’t know anything about Reggae... but AIs just hear a beat and lump it all together under “reggae” even when it’s not a subgenre of reggae.

The difference here is basically imagine if a service lumped “gospel” and “gangster rap” together and couldn’t tell apart...

Only Slacker gets it right. Their Reggae channel is so good I honestly never learned about other flaws of the service... :)

Spotify is what I am stuck with on my smart TV and I do not like it. It seems to only play the song I ask for and then it won’t stream anything past that... or it will play a list of songs they made... but always in the same order and always the same ones.

Slacker has me buying songs and albums of artists I discover through it... but with Spotify I never seen to discover anything new. The reggae list on my TV is the exact same set of songs that were there when I bought the TV a year ago... but Slacker will have new music every time I turn it on.

Last edited:
From my experience, the quality is definitely better than 64. I play mp3 at 128 from a usb drive and the songs on Slacker is definitely louder than the one from my usb drive.

the volume level tells you nothing whatsoever about the bitrate or quality of the recording

the actual company says it's 64kb/s (for slacker in a Model 3) and this has been repeatedly confirmed going back like a year now

Reactions: frankusb