Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slipstream painted lip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JPUConn

Aug 11, 2014
CT
searched and googled first.

Does anyone have the pic or thread of Slipstream wheels with the thick lip painted or dipped black?

I just picked up a set of slipstreams and am planning to do this and wanted to reference that pic.

I considered doing this as I was waiting for delivery.
Photoshopped a couple of versions to see how it would look on the car.
Didn't like either of them (full rim and "non-spokes").
Dipped the whole wheel...on the car.
Very pleased with the results.

You could just put some black gaffers tape on the rims to see how they would look with different treatments before you make a commitment.

Good luck!

Dipped.jpg

Reactions: JPUConn and Rbcnr
that lip is something that's been always annoying me. I wanted to replace my old base 19's with the slipstreams (and keep the old for winter tires) but after I noticed that lip I held off.
I was also thinking of dipping it or something - it does look much better, even with the sharpie. Also all black looks ok.

I considered doing this as I was waiting for delivery.
Photoshopped a couple of versions to see how it would look on the car.
Didn't like either of them (full rim and "non-spokes").
Dipped the whole wheel...on the car.
Very pleased with the results.

You could just put some black gaffers tape on the rims to see how they would look with different treatments before you make a commitment.

Good luck!

View attachment 221581
Nicely done! Any more info you can share on what you used? Can you post a wider shot of your car?

• Disagree
Reactions: FlyF4
Yes - the way I remember it made it appear much more like a turbine or tst wheel.

Oh, I see what you mean now...the inside lip that shows from behind the "spokes". That's an interesting effect with the blackout.

I just got my wheels powdercoated. I thought about black, but visually with the tires, I felt that it made the wheel look smaller...kind of like a toy matchbox car. I settled on a darker gray and I think it makes the wheel more expansive looking (bigger)...

zie3G8X.jpg

Oh, I see what you mean now...the inside lip that shows from behind the "spokes". That's an interesting effect with the blackout.

I just got my wheels powdercoated. I thought about black, but visually with the tires, I felt that it made the wheel look smaller...kind of like a toy matchbox car. I settled on a darker gray and I think it makes the wheel more expansive looking (bigger)...

zie3G8X.jpg
Looks great. Can we get a full side pic?

• Disagree
Reactions: FlyF4
My car is at the detailer's still, but here's a pic that he texted to me. I don't mean to hijack OP's thread, but I think this achieves the purpose of making the 19" slipstreams look larger. Of course, it's not as inexpensive as a black sharpie marker!

5u3Q8EU.jpg

The suspension is set on "high" so it looks a bit off kilter, but I think it looks good.

Reactions: JPUConn and Swift