Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Small Screen Font on UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you go to Tesla support and get to their chat feature complaining about the small font size, the comments will be escalated to engineering. The chat rep said they are getting lots of complaints about it, so hopefully a fix will be forthcoming. Also, it makes no sense to move the gear selection display to the opposite side from the gear selector. I can't understand the rationale for that move.

If you go to Tesla support and get to their chat feature complaining about the small font size, the comments will be escalated to engineering. The chat rep said they are getting lots of complaints about it, so hopefully a fix will be forthcoming. Also, it makes no sense to move the gear selection display to the opposite side from the gear selector. I can't understand the rationale for that move.

Yowza! Tesla support/chat feature - where? If you could post the URL for this or where you go to access it, you would get the Gold Star for the Day!

Thanks in advance...

Yowza! Tesla support/chat feature - where? If you could post the URL for this or where you go to access it, you would get the Gold Star for the Day!

Thanks in advance...

Here's the link: Tesla SSO - Sign In

You have to select "Vehicle Apps and Features" from the first menu
Select any option from the second menu and click "submit"

Then click "Yes" when asked "Do you need more help".

You will next type a subject for your chat and you will be forwarded to the chat system.

You can also get to the chat from the following submenus if you click "Yes" you need more help:

"Tesla Service & Repair" --> "Schedule or modify service..." and "Question about upcoming service"

"Vehicle & App Features" --> All submenus go to chat if you click "Yes" you need more help

"Account Ownership and Support" --> "Tesla App" and "Billing"

"Vehicle Charging" --> All submenus go to chat if you click "Yes" you need more help

"Energy Product Support" --> "Account & Billing" gives the option for email or chat if you click "Yes" you need more help

All other options either link to reference documents or allow you to send an email.

• Helpful
Reactions: RNHurt
Guys, making a post here isn't going to help...I highly doubt Tesla is reading these forums. I would use voice prompt and say, "report a bug", followed by the suggestion...also check out this thread:

How to submit UI improvement suggestions

And for the record, I agree 100% that we should be able to customize the display. I actually can't believe some ppl are criticizing that request! Telling others they should improve their eyesight with lasik, contacts or whatever is really crazy IMO (and rude).

It's also irrelevant what has existed in the past with small guage clusters, etc... We own this car NOW, which has this screen now, which should be fully customizable now!

I would not consider using the touch screen to report a bug. There should be provision to report bugs on a Tesla website.

Using the touch screen to report a bug would be intolerably awkward. It is necessary to watch the screen very closely when using the voice method because one must see whether it accurately understands what one is saying. Watching a screen which is off to the side and not at the best distance makes it difficult.

Also, there should be an easy way to find out how to report bugs. When buying others cars that information is easy to find but it appears that Tesla prefers to discourage reporting problems.

It may be that if Consumer Reports reports the problem in its articles and sales suffer as a result, then Tesla will respond. But probably they will not respond as long as they have a backlog of orders unless there are lawsuits resulting from crashes caused by drivers struggling to read the screen.

After I bought my Tesla M3, I got a lot of questions from family and friends. All asked how I liked the car - most were considering buying a Tesla. Then they asked about using the LCD screen while driving. I told them the truth - I don't even try to use except at a stop light. Too hard to read. That was the deal breaker. My wife was planning on buying one as well. Not any more.

When sales are hurt, tesla will fix this issue. Just tell everyone (and show them) about the ridiculously small font.

I would not consider using the touch screen to report a bug. There should be provision to report bugs on a Tesla website.

Using the touch screen to report a bug would be intolerably awkward. It is necessary to watch the screen very closely when using the voice method because one must see whether it accurately understands what one is saying. Watching a screen which is off to the side and not at the best distance makes it difficult.

Also, there should be an easy way to find out how to report bugs. When buying others cars that information is easy to find but it appears that Tesla prefers to discourage reporting problems.

Its good that you dont consider reporting it from the car a viable solution because those dont go anywhere anyway. They stay in the cars logs and are not escalated in any way, shape or form to tesla. They are used only if you take your car into service, and tell the service technician "I did a bug report when XXXX happened". They can look in the cars logs for the bug report.

They are NOT forwarded to tesla, so all the people thinking they are getting information to tesla about something that happens while driving (like phantom braking, or navigation issues), are mistaken.

Its good that you dont consider reporting it from the car a viable solution because those dont go anywhere anyway. They stay in the cars logs and are not escalated in any way, shape or form to tesla.

They are NOT forwarded to tesla, so all the people thinking they are getting information to tesla about something that happens while driving (like phantom braking, or navigation issues), are mistaken.

This is news to me... I don't want to start a micturition competition, but could you cite your authority or source for this little tidbit?

This is news to me... I don't want to start a micturition competition, but could you cite your authority or source for this little tidbit?

Multiple people (including myself) have been told that in person by tesla service center personnel. The bug report is car logs they dont go anywhere. They are used for service center appointments or remote login checks of the car when you schedule service and say I did a bug report". They will tell you "ok I will check the logs".

Now the following is conjecture....

If you think about it for a minute it makes perfect sense. Tesla does not need (nor want) individual reports of "bugs" from users. They have all the data they could ever need being sent to them by the cars themselves, and the cars wont attempt to embellish anything, etc. I am not accusing anyone specifically of anything, but tesla has tons of data from the cars, and has already proven they dont really want to "take feedback" from users.

To quote jjrandorin:
If you think about it for a minute it makes perfect sense. Tesla does not need (nor want) individual reports of "bugs" from users. They have all the data they could ever need being sent to them by the cars themselves, and the cars wont attempt to embellish anything, etc. I am not accusing anyone specifically of anything, but tesla has tons of data from the cars, and has already proven they dont really want to "take feedback" from users.

Doc sez:

I can see this. STM this is a little misleading on Tesla's part, as one might encounter what one believes is an issue, and sending the bug report would feel like something is being done.

Thanks for the insight!

Reactions: jjrandorin
I agree with the above that using Tesla Navigation is a little bit tricky.

The Tesla navigation display can provide a good itinerary overview but when looking at a particular location it is too far away to be really practical.

I am used of the Audi Virtual Cockpit Navigation, and having an additional smaller display in direct line of site when driving is more convenient.

I wish Tesla provides an additional option providing such capability, beside most of the time I use my central display as rear view mirror.

02-2017-audi-a4-cp.jpg

Even that font is small. And the white text on white roads. Who thought that was a good idea?

Reactions: AC2DC
NO!

Bifocals would solve the problem, but I hate them; they cause other problems. I could take my glasses off to look at the screen then put them back on to see the road, but that would be distracting and dangerous.

The obvious solution would be to have a larger font size for the navigation system and time. There is plenty of room on the screen to increase the font size by 1 or 2 points. I'm quite certain that many Tesla drivers have the same problem.
meh i use progressive lenses in my sunglasses and regular reading glasses that cover any focal length which work well in the car.
that’s wonderful- however, MOST OF US JUST WANT LARGER FONT!!!!!! Love our Y, but it would be great if fonts could be adjusted on screen.

Reactions: AC2DC
There are plenty of options for treating presbyopia.

You should probably talk to your eye Dr about crystal lense replacement.

They make bifocal contacts as well which would also be a good option.

Let me tell ya, I have worn contact since the early 80s. My vision, uncorrected is -16.5 diopters. I can read the time and temp just fine.
I am 82 and have 20/40 vision and see distance quite well, but cannot read the tiny print on the screen. Emergency messages are too small to read, so they are worthless. Let's work together on these problems.

I am 82 and have 20/40 vision and see distance quite well, but cannot read the tiny print on the screen. Emergency messages are too small to read, so they are worthless. Let's work together on these problems.
The tiny print on the screen, using grey type on a white screen, the teeny tiny regen/discharge line, the small fonts and quick disappearance of error messages, plus the rest contribute the uselessness of the screen. Then add the glare in the daytime, and you're just driving IFR conditions.
Terrible design, NO WAY was this user tested.
And no one listens.
But we can fart on demand, play mindless games, and try to use a crippled browser.
If the rest of the car wasn't superb in so many ways, I'd go back to my beloved '68 Chevelle.

Ok

Reactions: drdumont
Gotta Love your solve regarding presbyopia with Crystal Lenses- very, very expensive “fix” for a simple software addition of font sizes... BTW, my husband is the proud owner of 2 crystal lenses in his eyes-since 2013, had very bad cateracts, PLUS bad, terrible astigmatic eyes—glasses corrected. He LOVES, LOVES his crystal lenses- had never, ever been 20/20 in his life— but even with great insurance, they wouldn’t cover the “fancy” lenses, he paid out of pocket for them- no more glasses for driving- he’s seventy, loves our MY, but thinks the screen font is ridiculousLy small & light, light gray,REALLY!???? He’s also an EE and a software coder. We can hear the snickers from all those 30 somethings in Fremont right now!

I actually think the Christmas update UI was a great improvement in the speedometer region. The new layout is far more intuitive and attractive, other than the grey on grey battery icon of course...

...but it should normally only occupy the top corner over an otherwise full-screen map. The car cartoon space should only appear as needed to report tire/door/sonar/FSD/G-meter status, or to display a small map whenever a large menu is occupying the main space.

And yeah, tiny light grey text on an almost identically light grey background is just absurd. Come on guys, you can do better than that. It's hard to believe that not a single person on their entire team of UI designers had ever used a computer screen before. Dumb-ass punks should be forced to write their code using the font they've chosen for this UI.

The OP is complaining about not being able to read the temp, time, or map. I've spent quite a bit of time analyzing your "traditional car" photo, and I cannot read (or even find) the temp, time, or map. Older cars had less information to convey, so they could get away with using larger fonts.

That said, I agree 100% that there should be a font-size setting. Even if 99% of people like it the way it is, there should be an option for people with difficulty focusing up close. However significantly larger font settings will most likely require removing some elements from the screen. So the OP still may not be able to read the map, because Tesla might have to remove the map to accommodate the larger fonts on everything else.
The screen is huge. It can occomudate any elements you want with larger fonts.
There are plenty of options for treating presbyopia.

You should probably talk to your eye Dr about crystal lense replacement.

They make bifocal contacts as well which would also be a good option.

Let me tell ya, I have worn contact since the early 80s. My vision, uncorrected is -16.5 diopters. I can read the time and temp just

Reactions: RNHurt