Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Summon in the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm awaiting delivery for my M3LR and noticed in the last week or two the "Smart Summon" feature has changed so it is no longer "Upcoming" in the Enhanced Autopilot group on the order page.

Does anybody have any up-to-date information on this and how the features compare to the USA? Presumably Smart Summon is more capible than regular summon.

EU inherited regulations in the UK mean that essentially you can’t be more than 6 meters away from the car whilst using Smart Summon and it can only move a maximum of 20 meters.

EU inherited regulations in the UK mean that essentially you can’t be more than 6 meters away from the car whilst using Smart Summon and it can only move a maximum of 20 meters.
sorry to nitpik, it is United Nations (UNECE) regulations, not EU ones, at play here, (as such Brexit has no impacts here).

New UK regulations, which will exist alongside UNECE (as additional or alternative rules) have been in development for many years and are finally due to report in Q4 this year, and then will be passed to politicians to become law, so could still take some time.

I'm awaiting delivery for my M3LR and noticed in the last week or two the "Smart Summon" feature has changed so it is no longer "Upcoming" in the Enhanced Autopilot group on the order page.

Does anybody have any up-to-date information on this and how the features compare to the USA? Presumably Smart Summon is more capible than regular summon.
Are you looking on the US site? I think the 'Tesla Vision' (no radar) cars initially launched without smart summon but that has since received a software update to re-enable it.

Elon suggests that the smart summon functionality will be much improved with the new FSD beta stack, suspect no matter how good it is, the abilities will still be restricted by the UNECE regulations we abide to.

It's arguable that it is here already, has been for about a year. In the app you can press smart summon for the car to come to you. It is however completely hampered by the UK regulations that mean you have to be within 6m of the car.
Tesla's design to enforce this distance simply doesn't work, you basically need to be right next to the car to use Summon, and walk along with it, until you reach the maximum distance allowed.
I'm hardly surprised, if you were a regulator how would you test and assure that this was safe? The US simply does not have safety regulations for most things. I use regular summon to move the car forwards and backwards on the drive when I'm washing it, never had cause to use it in a eal car park yet.

You guys aren’t missing much with summon. Imo it’s too scary to use from a distance if there’s any pedestrians or moving cars around, and I have really yet to find a practical use case for it. I do believe it will improve…and if it ever gets to the point where it’s safe, reliable, and practical im sure your regulatory bodies will reconsider. That may be some time though.

Summon out of a car park would require far more than I've ever seen demonstrated. Reading the direction of the road from road markings which may be partially obscured or only obvious by the direction of other traffic.. narrow spaces that are hard enough for a human to navigate out of without a multipoint turn, being aware that the car 6 spaces ahead of you has just put its reversing lights on and is about to pull out..

Even Elon recently said it's a novelty.

Reactions: Wol747
My friend did summon on their model 3 in Texas a couple of years ago and it was amazing. I will post here if i find the video. Backed out, avoided another car came round about 20 m and stopped in front.
I got my Model 3 this month and it wont even move an inch. Its miss sold in this country. Fails every time.

My friend did summon on their model 3 in Texas a couple of years ago and it was amazing. I will post here if i find the video. Backed out, avoided another car came round about 20 m and stopped in front.
I got my Model 3 this month and it wont even move an inch. Its miss sold in this country. Fails every time.
you pretty much have to stand beside the car. 6 metres away is optimistic! I pull mine out of the garage sometimes on straight reverse summon, but smart summon is a joke.