Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Summon Not Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have owned my Model 3 since August 2018. And, my wife picked up a new Y back in October of 2020. So I am very familiar with how things work. I love using Smart Summon. But recently, like in the past month, I noticed that when I tap Summon, ONLY the forward and reverse arrows come on and NOT the one to have the car come to me. The app won't load the radius circle at all. I did go back in the app a few times and once it did load the radius circle for Smart Summon and it did work briefly. This seems like a software issue as the same thing happens for my wife's Model Y (so it's not either of our vehicles). Anyone else experiencing issues of Smart Summon not loading? I also did update my Tesla app on my iPhone (but it was happening before I did that too...just figured maybe the new app would correct this problem). The one way I did get it to load once today was to push the forward arrow on Summon for a second, then the backup arrow (again just for a second) and after trying that the Smart Summon button lit up and there was a circle radius marking on the app.

Today I deliberately parked in a fairly empty part of the Rockridge BART parking lot, intending to experiment with smart summon when I got back from Trader Joe's. I got back to the parking lot, put down my grocery bags, fired up the app and... "Summon will not work on public roads"! But I was in a parking lot, not a public road. Looking more closely at the map graphic, I immediately saw the problem: that section of the parking lot is directly under the freeway (Highway 24 if you know the area), and evidently the maps are still only two-dimensional. Isn't that funny? I wish smart summon would have less restrictions on it. Give the driver/owner some credit for using it safely -- we are "allowed" to drive the car, why can't we also make our own judgement call on whether it's safe to use summon?

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I love my Tesla. It's by far my favorite vehicle I've ever owned in my life.

The only way I find it to work is
Use the move forward or backward first and then try summon it. It work every time on my Y performance. Wish they will fix it, it use to work great before 2021.24.3
Yes. I had a few updates that it didn't work at all for in mid 2020 that I had to use this trick for. I haven't really tried it much lately as I've already shown it off to everyone I know and we all know it's quicker to just walk to the car anyway until the stack change.

Bummer. Are you on iOS or Android? Did the work around of moving forward or backward a foot or two with regular summon first work for you?
iOS.
The workaround did not allow it to work. It was just forward and back movement with very clunky and slow to respond interaction.

I have been able to recently get the "go to target" button to show, but still need to test the functionality. The only way I can get it to go from "warming up" to "go to target" is by entering and exiting the summon screen multiple times until it finally shows.

I am on Android. I reverted the app back to the last 3.x version and it works now. I can finally connect to car, before i would get unable to connect.

Also Smart Summon is no longer stuck in warming up. I have not tried it yet tho, will do tomorrow. Back and forward seems to work fine.

So I have owned my Model 3 since August 2018. And, my wife picked up a new Y back in October of 2020. So I am very familiar with how things work. I love using Smart Summon. But recently, like in the past month, I noticed that when I tap Summon, ONLY the forward and reverse arrows come on and NOT the one to have the car come to me. The app won't load the radius circle at all. I did go back in the app a few times and once it did load the radius circle for Smart Summon and it did work briefly. This seems like a software issue as the same thing happens for my wife's Model Y (so it's not either of our vehicles). Anyone else experiencing issues of Smart Summon not loading? I also did update my Tesla app on my iPhone (but it was happening before I did that too...just figured maybe the new app would correct this problem). The one way I did get it to load once today was to push the forward arrow on Summon for a second, then the backup arrow (again just for a second) and after trying that the Smart Summon button lit up and there was a circle radius marking on the app.
Same here

I have the same problem with my 2022 M3