Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smartwatch as a key?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no official "smartwatch as key" feature on a tesla. There are third party apps that can unlock the car, but they do not function as a key to drive it like the phone as key feature.

Short answer, no, no watch as key apple or otherwise.

(AFAIK the "phone as key" feature on a tesla is only on 3/Y, not on S/X).

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Hey guys,

I remember reading something about the option to use Apple Watch as a key for Tesla cars, so I was wondering if it actually works for M3. Is it limited to the Apple Watch only, or would it work with Samsung/Android smartwatches as well?
Thanks!
You need a watch with cell capability. I don't know what apps work on Android, but there are a ton for AppleWatch. Some cheap, some expensive, EV Watch ($1), Stats ($$$), Watch for Tesla($), AutoMate ($0.99)
I've got AutoMate and Watch for Tesla on my AppleWatch as complications, currently. Stats and EV Watch are also loaded.
IMG_9176.PNG

AutoMate is in the upper right corner. I can quickly see the range and SOC%. And, I can see that rated range would be 310miles based upon 186m/61%. I think Watch for Tesla has a nicer UI, so I like to use that to open the frunk, etc.

I found this one for Android, which seems to be really full of options and able to control most of the car's settings:
DRIVE Electric for Tesla - Galaxy Store
Just in case anybody else may need it.

it will not function as phone as key though. I guess I should preface what I am saying because @Big_nobody doesnt have a tesla yet.

There is a difference in being able to unlock the car, and phone as key. The tesla app, as well as many other third party apps can unlock the car. Some of those third party apps even have watch complications.

Unlock car doesnt = phone as key however. You can not drive the car with any of those third party apps only using that app.

it will not function as phone as key though. I guess I should preface what I am saying because @Big_nobody doesnt have a tesla yet.

There is a difference in being able to unlock the car, and phone as key. The tesla app, as well as many other third party apps can unlock the car. Some of those third party apps even have watch complications.

Unlock car doesnt = phone as key however. You can not drive the car with any of those third party apps only using that app.
So, if I understand correctly I can lock my phone inside the car with the app on my smartwatch and then unlock it and drive as the phone is inside, correct?

So, if I understand correctly I can lock my phone inside the car with the app on my smartwatch and then unlock it and drive as the phone is inside, correct?
Yes, you could do that, but the phone is still the key and if the phone was not present the watch would unlock the car but not allow one to drive. You would need to use the tesla keycard (tap on console) to drive.

The "phone as key" operates as a key as it not only unlocks the car but also authorizes driving the car, and the watch is not able to provide that authorization.

Yes, you could do that, but the phone is still the key and if the phone was not present the watch would unlock the car but not allow one to drive. You would need to use the tesla keycard (tap on console) to drive.

The "phone as key" operates as a key as it not only unlocks the car but also authorizes driving the car, and the watch is not able to provide that authorization.
Hopefully, it will change soon, because from the connectivity point of view there is not too much difference now between LTE enabled smartwatch and a cell phone. As Tesla is using Bluetooth to pair the phone with the car I don't see a reason they couldn't release a smartwatch app doing exactly the same thing.

Reactions: Scottt51 and PACEMD
Hopefully, it will change soon, because from the connectivity point of view there is not too much difference now between LTE enabled smartwatch and a cell phone. As Tesla is using Bluetooth to pair the phone with the car I don't see a reason they couldn't release a smartwatch app doing exactly the same thing.

They are using low emissions bluetooth for the phone as key, not regular bluetooth.. and I wouldnt hold my breath. Likely be a support nightmare because many people with watches dont have LTE versions, and wouldnt understand why their watch didnt open the car, etc.

Thats my guess as to why tesla doesnt have a watch complication for iPhone or watch app for android. support concerns.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Right but you can unlock the car with the watch app and leave the keycard or phone inside to drive, right? And the watch apps will open the trunk? Need the trunk unlocked on approach when hands are full. Last week I went into Home Depot and 20 minutes later at checkout realized I did not have my phone. Oh sh*t, what now. Pretty sure I didn't otherwise lose it, must have left it in the car. Wondering if it would lock the car by default after some time. I was thinking I could call my wife and have her unlock the car, but of course, I had no phone. Ah, I could use the store phone. Anyway, I went to the car and it was unlocked with my phone right there on the center console stand. No problem, drive away. Of course, anyone else could have driven away or taken the phone. Anyway, the watch app would be the snake's hip, unless I forget to take my arm when I leave the car.

Reactions: Scottt51
They are using low emissions bluetooth for the phone as key, not regular bluetooth.. and I wouldnt hold my breath. Likely be a support nightmare because many people with watches dont have LTE versions, and wouldnt understand why their watch didnt open the car, etc.

Thats my guess as to why tesla doesnt have a watch complication for iPhone or watch app for android. support concerns.

If the watch has BLE (I haven't checked the various Apple Watch bluetooth specs) - no real reason it couldn't work as a key though ...

Even the phone functioning as a key doesn't require LTE; it's just BLE. As long as you could pair the watch's BT radio with the car, in theory, could work, no?

EDIT: Yeah, looks like BLE has been a thing in watchOS since the Series 2 watches. See here: Core Bluetooth in watchOS Tutorial

If Tesla were to write their own watchOS app - and I think that's the key - that would execute the BLE functions right from the watch, it would work. The rest of the current watch apps all use the undocumented Tesla API... which doesn't expose the vehicle-authenticate function at all.

p.s. I'm sure the 3 folks that have a non-Apple wearable are out there too - I'm only interested in the Apple ecoverse.

Last edited:
Nice review here recently for the Watch for Tesla app for the Apple Watch. I will probably try that one, assuming my Apple Watch 6 ever gets here. I broke down and ordered a Watch 6 with LTE a week+ ago but the delivery date was/is 4-5 weeks, cool! Apple blames COVID, no worries.........

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
If the watch has BLE (I haven't checked the various Apple Watch bluetooth specs) - no real reason it couldn't work as a key though ...

Even the phone functioning as a key doesn't require LTE; it's just BLE. As long as you could pair the watch's BT radio with the car, in theory, could work, no?

It would work as a key if it had BLE, sure. I dont know if apple watches do (havent bothered to check, I use my apple watch as a "watch" mostly, lol).

I think just think providing a watch experience is low on tesla's list of things they want to do, or they would have done it already.

Reactions: PACEMD and dmurphy
It would work as a key if it had BLE, sure. I dont know if apple watches do (havent bothered to check, I use my apple watch as a "watch" mostly, lol).

I think just think providing a watch experience is low on tesla's list of things they want to do, or they would have done it already.

Absolutely, and I just looked... the Series 2 and up have BLE.
And I agree wholehearted; I'm living in the world possible, not probable. I don't see an Apple Watch app in Tesla's near - or far - term future. If they were going there, they would've launched CarKey for Apple.

• Informative
I have the Tesla Remote app for Apple Watch and if I long press there is an option for unlock/start. If I hit that and get in the car it says keyless driving enabled. I haven’t really tested it because I don’t want to get stranded... I’ll try it out this weekend though without my keycard or phone on me. Obviously a cellular model watch would be needed.

I know, right?!? hehe. I actually use a calendar complication for meetings, and I use it like an exercise watch when I walk on my treadmill at home too, if that counts.

I’m becoming more convinced by the second that we’re just opposite-coast versions of the same person. That’s about how I use my watch, too! To be fair, I do have a complication for all 4 time zones showing, since in non-pandemic years I travel a bit.

• Love