Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smashed wing mirror

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drivers wing mirror glass completely shattered weekend thanks to somebody taking road too wide and not giving way when they should have done :mad:
Does anyone know where is best to source a replacement, have looked on ebay but none of them seem to come with the backplate and wiring included?
Any links or advice appreciated thanks.

Drivers wing mirror glass completely shattered weekend thanks to somebody taking road too wide and not giving way when they should have done :mad:
Does anyone know where is best to source a replacement, have looked on ebay but none of them seem to come with the backplate and wiring included?
Any links or advice appreciated thanks.

Looking at your post history you have a 2019 Model 3? If so this would have been with the auto dimming wingmirrors, before they removed that feature early 2020 then added back towards the end of 2020. When checking parts, you want 'EC' for auto dimming rather than 'NEC'.

Can you confirm if you need the wiring and the 'back plate'? A photo of the damage would be helpful. Replacing the glass (5/6) provides more options than replacing the assembly (1/2, 3/4, 5/6)

1675076899993.png

If you need to change the mirror glass, wiring and backplate (skullcap?), these are the part numbers for the entire assembly:

LEFT HAND
1675076449737.png

1675076838520.png

1675076984247.png

RIGHT HAND
1675076488616.png

1675076876053.png

1675077013457.png

From the above you can see in the third column that both the glass and the assembly are available for you to buy direct from Tesla and fit yourself. The skullcap, which I'm assuming you're referring to as the backplate, isn't available over the counter so might be harder to order without a service agent fitting and you'll likely need to pay for labour.

If you do need the multiple parts above and don't want to go direct to Tesla, then hopefully those part numbers are useful if you're trying to pick up used via ebay, FB marketplace, Gumtree.

If you just need the mirror glass then for OEM direct from Tesla, or you can checkout the offering from Hannshow (which I have), although you lose the auto dim function but gain wide angle view:

Amazon, ebay etc sell the aftermarket wingmirror glass too:

A few assumptions in my response as you haven't provide much detail in your post, if you want to post a photo of the damage the advice could be more concise.

Thanks, so the 2 wires on the rear of the smashed glass support the auto dimming function (EC). The other two pins are for heating.

Most of the aftermarket replacements don't support the auto dimming, so if you want to retain that functionality and can't find a second hand part I'd suggest going directly to Tesla.

Create a service request in the app under the other category and request to purchase the following part:

1675085921051.png

To be sure, you could ask them to check the compatibility of the part with your VIN.

Once you have the part, connect the 3 cables back and push the glass on to the disc.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: M3noob
Also, just seen this for £140:

I'd be surprised if the part was that expensive directly from Tesla so worth enquiring.

I'd be surprised if the part was that expensive directly from Tesla so worth enquiring.
I’m not to sure about that, when I had 69 plate m3 SR+ I had someone take out my mirror (swerving round a pothole onto my side of the road) admittedly they replaced the whole wing mirror and the door trim as got scratched with the glass but there was very little change out of £1k,
Luckily sentry caught it all on video so it didn’t come out of my pocket.

I’m not to sure about that, when I had 69 plate m3 SR+ I had someone take out my mirror (swerving round a pothole onto my side of the road) admittedly they replaced the whole wing mirror and the door trim as got scratched with the glass but there was very little change out of £1k,
Luckily sentry caught it all on video so it didn’t come out of my pocket.
1675270416619.gif
1675270416619.gif